Sign in to follow this  
teddybear

Updating your mods

How do I keep track of the updates in the mods?

In Play With Six it was easy to see, but now I use them manually, I have no clue where and when to check for mods?

Since I play twice a week, it's quite time-consuming to check 35 times for all the mods to be up to date.

Is there an easy with with notifications of some kind?

Yours sincerely.

Play with Six...

You answered your own questions. Manual or automatic ;-)

If you can't join the server that you normally join, you know it's time to check for updates.

Play with Six...

You answered your own questions. Manual or automatic ;-)

I know, yet PW6 is very unreliable, that's why I changed it back to manual.

If you can't join the server that you normally join, you know it's time to check for updates.

That part I udnerstand yes, but how do I know which one of the 35 mods I have need to be updated?

And where do I find this updates without downloading the whole mod all over again?

I know, yet PW6 is very unreliable, that's why I changed it back to manual.

That part I udnerstand yes, but how do I know which one of the 35 mods I have need to be updated?

And where do I find this updates without downloading the whole mod all over again?

You should have stuck with PWS, regardless of its reliability issues (running it as admin helps by the way - referencing our other thread you do that by right clicking the shortcut and selecting 'Run as Administrator'). It does exactly what you require, doesn't require you to download entire mods again when they update, and is a quick reference for if your mods are up to date or not.

You should have stuck with PWS, regardless of its reliability issues (running it as admin helps by the way - referencing our other thread you do that by right clicking the shortcut and selecting 'Run as Administrator'). It does exactly what you require, doesn't require you to download entire mods again when they update, and is a quick reference for if your mods are up to date or not.

So if I were to reinstall PW6, do I also have to install all mods I already have on PW6 again? Or can it be synced in some way?

And how do I connect when a server runs less mods then I have installed when I play with PW6? (since it always runs every mod it seems)

So if I were to reinstall PW6, do I also have to install all mods I already have on PW6 again? Or can it be synced in some way?

PW6 should detect the mods are installed in your ArmA3 directory and allow you to update them etc. though I cannot say for definite.

And how do I connect when a server runs less mods then I have installed when I play with PW6? (since it always runs every mod it seems)

You can still use the desktop shortcut I helped you setup in the other thread to launch your game. I only use PWS to update my mods, and then manually edit my shortcuts target line to add/remove mods as necessary (though I only play on one server, so I only need to alter it when we adopt/remove an addon.

Another solution - as PwS has stopped working for me with several recent updates & the current beta, see the PwS thread, - is to subscribe to the mod threads with email notification. With popular mods there will be a lot of posts, however you can set your notifications for each to be a weekly summary. Filter them to one (or more, I just use one) email folder and search for the word "update" in the text bodies. Not ideal, but easier than checking every thread all the time. Hopefully PwS will get fixed soon.

Another solution - as PwS has stopped working for me with several recent updates & the current beta, see the PwS thread, - is to subscribe to the mod threads with email notification. With popular mods there will be a lot of posts, however you can set your notifications for each to be a weekly summary. Filter them to one (or more, I just use one) email folder and search for the word "update" in the text bodies. Not ideal, but easier than checking every thread all the time. Hopefully PwS will get fixed soon.

Certainly not ideal considering every other post these days is "Any news on the update?" or "When is the update coming out?", certainly in the more popular threads anyway (apart from the posts that are suggestion/request posts :P).

Certainly not ideal considering every other post these days is "Any news on the update?" or "When is the update coming out?", certainly in the more popular threads anyway (apart from the posts that are suggestion/request posts :P).

True. Probably better to search for posts by the author AND the word "update" if your email/webmail client allows it (mine does).

I create my own mod folders(vehicles, units, weapons, etc) then place my pbos. I have a folder on my drive that contains original addon folder for every mod i DL, which contains the addon version. I prefer manual mod management, but to each their own.

I create my own mod folders(vehicles, units, weapons, etc) then place my pbos. I have a folder on my drive that contains original addon folder for every mod i DL, which contains the addon version. I prefer manual mod management, but to each their own.

The disadvantage is that with very large mods a small update requires a complete download, which is why it's a pity that PwS is broken & SU deprecated. RHS did a great job on implementing their own patch system, works perfectly.

I also archive all my mods, I have 3 TB of WD external usb drives for offline storage. Also use them to back up the game files & registries before any update so I can revert if necessary.

We use a home made launcher. It uses WinSCP to synchronise local/remote folders. So I only have to update the files on the FTP, players update and have a copy of the server's addons on their HDD.

It can also be configured with custom command line, custom addon line, etc..

We're 200% satisfied as we had sooooo much issues with PWS, this system is reliable, super easy to install and community friendly.

DSRDBV2.jpg

Two ways to keep up on the mods you play with is to subscribe to their threads on the forums here, and the other way is to visit Armaholic when you get

on the internet as they are constantly on top of the communities work for releases and updates, theres always the RSS feed on armaholic too.

But if your not up with habitual work like that then PW6 can help you if you prefer that.