Sign in to follow this  
SouthernSmoke

Make Arma Not War Build?

I am still on the 1.32 version. I would like to update to try out the new features such as firing from vehicles and AI not shooting like robots. But I am hesitant to update out of a fear of essential mods being ruined. Seeing as there is an MANW build which allows returning to 1.32, can I use this build to keep the game at 1.32 permanently in the event that these updates interfere with mods?

I'm assuming that after the MANW contest is over the build will be gone but I want to be sure I can use it to go back to 1.32, then keep Steam offline and therefore not able to automatically update to be able to play on 1.32 permanently.

A confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

Re: "hesitant to update out of a fear of essential mods being ruined" -- if you've already decided which of your existing modset is "essential" (no need to name names here), have you checked their threads here lately? Considering that we just got a new stable branch update (changelog here), I'd keep an eye on them for the next few days in case of any bug reports or notices of fixes to help with evaluating this latest update's suitability.

Note: Weapon resting and the recoil overhaul are still exclusive to dev branch, and weapon resting/deployment is not in yet. Also, the "weapon-specific muzzle velocity" change shouldn't have broken any weapon mods (that didn't break from v1.34, v1.36, or v1.38) because without a modder-defined weapon initSpeed value the game is supposed to default to the magazine's initSpeed value.

The problem is that the mods I consider most important are no longer updated or have changed. I use a couple mods together to produce the recoil, sway and fatigue that is perfect for me but some now use vanilla sway, recoil, fatigue and others have not been updated in a long time.

So, checking for conflicts introduced by new updates is pointless. I need to know if I can use the MANW build because if not, these mods being broken means they are broken forever. If I can use the MANW build to revert back all is good. If not, the mods I have used for a long time and gotten used to playing with will be gone and I would have to endure the vanilla sway, recoil and fatigue which I am not a fan of to say the least. That is why I consider them essential.

To make matters more urgent, I read that BI is introducing recoil by the end of the week.

If a developer happens to read this: can I use the MANW build even though I am not part of the contest in any way? If so, will there be any issues with using it permanently even after the contest is over and the build has been removed?

What's stopping you reinstalling arma in a new location, copying the mods from the known good 1.32 build and testing them on the latest 1.40 build? That way you should be able to revert back to your original installation if the mods don't work to your liking :)

What's stopping you reinstalling arma in a new location, copying the mods from the known good 1.32 build and testing them on the latest 1.40 build? That way you should be able to revert back to your original installation if the mods don't work to your liking :)

Is Steam capable of doing such a thing? I'm not sure it is.

Nevermind, you said REinstalling, not installing. I thought you meant having two installs at the same time in different locations, which to my knowledge may only be possible with two different user profiles on the PC, but how that would interact with STEAM is beyond me.

I'm not sure if stream would support it on the same user profile, I was just suggesting it as a possible work around :)

Only one way to find out!

I'm not sure if stream would support it on the same user profile, I was just suggesting it as a possible work around :)

Only one way to find out!

How would I go about doing this?

How would I go about doing this?

Another way is to backup the files manually so you can restore if needed.

1. Backup the Steam folders & game files by simply making a copy somewhere else using Windows Explorer. Be sure to back up all of the various Steam folders and files, making a note of where each copied folder came from,

e.g., C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Steam. Run a search of your C:\ drive and the drive or partition where the game is installed if not on C:\ to find them all. Run the same search for "Arma" to make sure you got everything. Best to back up all your saved missions/campaigns as well or the updated game will want to delete them as being incompatible with the update.

Back up the various folders from "My Documents" that contain the A3 .cfg and profiles as well as the "BIS Core ..." folders.

You don't need to copy over mod folders if you have installed them in the Arma 3 game directory, just leave them there.

Don't use the Steam backup utility, Steam might start updating your game as soon as you log on.

A good precaution before installing or removing any application in Windoze is to back up the Win registry, I use a free tool from http://www.tweaking.com/ which I also have set to backup the registry every morning (useful also if you suspect malware - restoring a pre-infection registry will render most nasties totally inactive).

2. Update to 1.40 via Steam.

3. Test. If you don't like the results, revert by deleting all the Steam files and game files then copying back the 1.32 files and restoring the registry (just in case Steam has decided to alter any entries; add or delete in particular).

I back up like this before each update/patch for A2/CO and A3. Space is not a problem for me as I have 3TB of external storage that I only connect as & when needed.