Sign in to follow this  
msy

Should cross-hair getting larger while keeping firing and holding breath for a long ?

Now in ARMA3, when moving\turning arround\changing stance will lead your cross-hair to get larger. However while aiming a target and keeping firing statically, the cross-hair won't change its size. This is different with the normal FPS game, in which when keeping firing the cross-hair will getting larger and larger and you can't easily judge where the impact point will be because the impact points will disperse with the change of the scale of the cross-hair.

In ARMA3, when shooting at close target with cross-hair, I can easily know where the impact point will be.

I think the scale of cross-hair stands for how well you are aiming. When keeping firing, due to recoil and breath etc. , it is more difficult to aim. So the cross-hair should get larger.

In a similar way, when holding breath for a long time, the cross-hair should get larger.

Edited by msy

Separating the "zoom" and "hold breath" keys is essential IMHO, especially if, e.g., you are at long range and waiting for a clean shot at a target traversing the FoV.

If you do that you can stay zoomed without asphyxiating.

Separating the "zoom" and "hold breath" keys is essential IMHO, especially if, e.g., you are at long range and waiting for a clean shot at a target traversing the FoV.

If you do that you can stay zoomed without asphyxiating.

You could just change your key bindings so the zoom and "hold breath" keys are different.

can you discuss my topic?

can you discuss my topic?

Arma is not like regular shooters. There is no magic dispersion that makes bullets fly in random directions inside a cone. Instead, recoil and sway are added the weapon/player but the bullets still fly wherever the barrel was pointed at at the moment of firing. So with that in mind, the "growing" UI crosshair is a really bad and wrong representation of the situation and it probably shouldn't even be in the game (sway behaviour is different from complete randomization).

You should only be paying attention to the UI crosshair as a stamina indicator (how much sway you have). When firing, there's a lot more recoil than sway added, so naturally the crosshair doesn't grow in that sense. And while there's a lot of room for Arma to improve, regular shooters have it all wrong from the basics.

Took me a while to figure out it's the UI crosshair you're refering to :p

Anyway, IRL you can kind of have a rough idea where your gun is pointing at, from your posture and muscles. Then there is the ability to ready our gun with both eyes open. I think of the UI crosshair as something of a cross between the above two, with you focusing on eye on the weak side. That size of reticle is kind of like how much attention you'd put to your strong eye.

Standing still with both eyes open, you have really good idea where your gun points. When your walking with gun ready, or shooting, with all the shakes and all, not as much. But then again you won't have a gradual worsening of sense of where you're aiming at, and definitly not to the point of being hard to aim.

Just a little aside: I used to play with aiming deadzone on, so it was quite an important feature for me. I now play with deadzone off, but the crosshair still serve some purpose in close quarters, it tells me if my muzzle is clear of a cover I'm behind