Sign in to follow this  
Korneel

Arma 3 - Marksmen Community Challenge

Well to be honest - BIS kinda messed up with the Mk200 and now probably with Mk18 ABR too

mainly the Mk18 ABR should be in NATO because in A3 the NATO is basicly the US Army in the future and they will still use the M14 as a DMR

originally the Mk200 was the main NATO light machine gun like the M249 , this was changed when MX series got into game

also original MXM was caseless 7.62x51mm for some weird reason it was changed into 6.5mm

so i think the new Sig EMR should be in AAF

I would imagine the AAF getting te sig DMR. Some of the stuff in re beginning made sense, given that AAF were under NATO to begin with. The MXM had comparability with 7.62 and 6.5 in Alpha, but later changed, probably because the only MAG visible on the rifle was a 6.5 Waffle mag. The Mar-10 is definitely going to the hands of Miller as his boyz. Lol.

also original MXM was caseless 7.62x51mm for some weird reason it was changed into 6.5mm

Was it? :eek:

From a logistics point-of-view the 6.5mm doesn't sound weird at all.

Was it? :eek:

From a logistics point-of-view the 6.5mm doesn't sound weird at all.

6.5mm isn't weird or bad but the fact the original MXM used 7.62 powerful round for the DMR role

then why you would reduce the fire power of your marksmen? just because everyone uses 6.5mm? even today regular soldiers use 5.56 and markmen 7.62x51

L1XHD5p.jpg

Edited by RobertHammer

then why you would reduce the fire power of your marksmen? just because everyone uses 6.5mm? even today regular soldiers use 5.56 and markmen 7.62x51

Seems life's imitating art for the British Army: They're going to be using the 5.56mm L86A2 LSW as a sharpshooter rifle and are not adopting the 7.62mm L129A1 as a core capability, even though it has been used in that role in Afghanistan as an Urgent Operational Requirement.

Apparently they've found that with proper training and a decent optic, blokes can shoot 5.56mm from a 25.5-inch barrel about as accurately at 800m as 7.62mm is from a 16-inch barrel - overall length of the two weapons is virtually the same owing to the bullpup layout on the SA80.

I'm wondering how the ABR and MXM compare now that we have weapon-based muzzle velocity and they re-calibrated the dispersion values.

I'm wondering how the ABR and MXM compare now that we have weapon-based muzzle velocity and they re-calibrated the dispersion values.

ABR does more damage, MXM has less recoil. Otherwise I think they are on par with each other.

BTW the Image of the MAR-10 states that it is chambred in .338 which would be kind of too big for a DMR. However the round depiction in the same image states that it is chambered in 12,7x54 , so I guess it´s just a mistake.

BTW the Image of the MAR-10 states that it is chambred in .338 which would be kind of too big for a DMR. However the round depiction in the same image states that it is chambered in 12,7x54 , so I guess it´s just a mistake.

True. Besides, that'd be a pain to fire standing up, it's hard enough shooting .338 while standing, on semi auto.

EDIT: Ok, i can't take this. Has anyone posted on Reddit Arma 3 about the challenge yet? There is no way it's taking this long for 1000 people more to complete the assignment, and i don't have a Reddit, so i cant post there. Lol

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Seems life's imitating art for the British Army: They're going to be using the 5.56mm L86A2 LSW as a sharpshooter rifle and are not adopting the 7.62mm L129A1 as a core capability, even though it has been used in that role in Afghanistan as an Urgent Operational Requirement.
That, and both the US Army and US Marine Corps have M16-derived DMRs in 5.56 mm -- to say nothing of the old XM8 Sharpshooter -- while the PLA has the QBU-88 in 5.8 mm like the Type 95, so this isn't something that BI made up out of thin air (even though it resulted in the MXM nigh-directly following in the XM8's footsteps).

That, and both the US Army and US Marine Corps have M16-derived DMRs in 5.56 mm -- to say nothing of the old XM8 Sharpshooter -- while the PLA has the QBU-88 in 5.8 mm like the Type 95, so this isn't something that BI made up out of thin air (even though it resulted in the MXM nigh-directly following in the XM8's footsteps).

Yes , there been M16 DMRs but those were replaced by M14 EBR/M39 EMR and by Mk11

only SF teams and SOCOM kept the Mk12 SPR for their operations but also it will be replaced by Scar Mk17 and Mk20 SSR

the L86 LSW as a sharpshooter rifle was a placeholder it was replaced by L129A1 in DMR and by L110A2 in LMG

so the only exception is the PLA's QBU-88 and that ain't in NATO

Edited by RobertHammer

Cyrus - CSAT (made in Chernarus btw :butbut:)

SPMG - NATO

The SPMG looks like a M240 - M60 hybrid, which is cool as long as it sounds like the

:cool: Edited by Maio

Cyrus - CSAT (made in Chernarus btw )

Under the name it says 9.3x64, but the highlight shows 8.58x70?

the L86 LSW as a sharpshooter rifle was a placeholder it was replaced by L129A1 in DMR and by L110A2 in LMG
According to da12thMonkey that was just a case of UOR, unless you've heard otherwise.
so the only exception is the PLA's QBU-88 and that ain't in NATO
I don't believe that "non-NATO" has any bearing on the subject, it's just there as another example of the idea being out there and done at all... though BI may not have actually thought of it and the 6.5 mm MXM may indeed just be an arbitrary decision on BI's part with less thinking than we're giving it, so for an "in-universe" explanation Occam's Razor would suggest that by 2035 the pendulum had swung back towards "same caliber" in "US-as-NATO"'s case alone while Commonwealth SOF (CTRG), AAF, and CSAT were (still) all on 7.62 x 51 mm...

... except for CSAT supplementing that with a whopping 8.58 or 9.3 mm DMR :o

Nice machine gun. i notice the guy is holding it NOT entirly like a rifle. If BIS have fixed how LMG are held like rifles and isntead are held like they should be then it'd be a huge fix for a big bug bear.

Haha, "Made in Chernarus" :)

Looks like the Cyrus is .338 Lapua Magnum too (look at the text on the rifle itself).

The SPMG is clearly a LWMMG. Cool to see a machine gun with the .338 Norma Magnum. That thing is powerful! Somewhere between 7.62x51 NATO and .50BMG actually. This thing will be awesome at long range.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/usa/lwmmg-e.html

That MG will be alot of fun at firefights, I hope they manage to create a proper sound for it.

Yes, SPMG is sure to wreak havoc in firefights to come, with weapon resting/deployment and the new suppression it's gonna be a nasty opponent.

Overall I'm quite happy with the new guns.

Haha, "Made in Chernarus" :)

Looks like the Cyrus is .338 Lapua Magnum too (look at the text on the rifle itself).

The SPMG is clearly a LWMMG. Cool to see a machine gun with the .338 Norma Magnum. That thing is powerful! Somewhere between 7.62x51 NATO and .50BMG actually. This thing will be awesome at long range.

http://world.guns.ru/machine/usa/lwmmg-e.html

things a monster.

things a monster.

Holy smokes! That thing will make some serious holes!

As an LMG it's been replaced by the L110, but after significant testing, it was found that the L86 was more accurate and usable than the L129 and so the L129 hasn't been taken on and instead the L86 is supposed to be getting and ergonomic upgrade.

Nice machine gun. i notice the guy is holding it NOT entirly like a rifle. If BIS have fixed how LMG are held like rifles and isntead are held like they should be then it'd be a huge fix for a big bug bear.

Well spotted, I'm surprised no-one else has seemed to have picked up on this.

Hopefully it's a new pose/anim tree for LMG/MMG, which will be great as

a) it won't look totally stupid like it does now

b) It will stop players ramboing around with heavy machine guns

Well the new pose looks like firing from the hip - dunno maybe they wanted to use other pose to show the MG is being mobile rather than aiming pose heh

Since BI wanted to put our attention on the Challenges hardly anyone knows about I'd like to point out that the clay pigeons (flying bonus targets) on Red 2 are almost impossible to hit. Is that a joke by BI or can we hope for a shotgun to be added in the "near" future? :j:

CQB DLC anyone?

Well the new pose looks like firing from the hip - dunno maybe they wanted to use other pose to show the MG is being mobile rather than aiming pose heh

I hope it is a genuine thing and not some BS pose they mocked up for the pictures. Out of interest, do you remember the anims Da12th was developing for the L7A2 in Arma 2? I think he abandoned it due to glitches, but it looked really cool. Hopefully it's something like that.

I would really like different animation sets for MG but you know in ArmA's animation system is 4x times harder than in UE engine like the RO2 game