Sign in to follow this  
CaptainAzimuth

D.U.S.T. and The Possibility of Similar Advances

It takes awhile, but in a recently uploaded video by Bluedrake, there is a game called D.U.S.T. that is barley even an Alpha. So what does ths have to do with anything? Well, besides the fact that it could be an intresting Infantry focused game in the future, but it's the features it has, even this early into it's lifespan. The game includes the ability to do a few unique things to that game. That being the ability to use the Charging handle on your rifle, the ability to check the chamber, and the most unique, the ability to actually change zoom and focus on a high detailed 3D scope which appears to be using smooth PIP.

Wouldn't it be cool as anything to be able to focus your scope? That's cool as anything, the fact that it appears to be PIP as well, is also impressive... Unless it's not PIP, then it would be mind blowing. But the game is barley in existence yet, and with little features like this, it's already on it's way to success. But what does this still have to do with anything?

People want PIP, and the Marksman DLC is inching closer. However, you can't have PIP if it takes away from the game in any way. If you loose FPS or graphical quality, than the PIP becomes a problem. If there was a way to have a 3D PIP scope with no impact, than there certainly wouldn't be an issue with it. But with the few little things i've seen in this pre alpha game, makes me wish there were a few more little things like this in Arma. It'd be cool if there was a feature to check your mag instead of having a bullet counter in the corner of your screen. Imagine pressing a button and being able to pull your mag out of the rifle to check it. Or being able to see if there is a round in the firing chamber. I'm not sure where this is going now, but it's pretty damn cool. Here is a link to the vid, check it out yourselves. He has a link to the website in the description where you can actually download this game and try it. But mainly just check out the features.

I've been playing D.U.S.T. a bit as well. Now that it's in its 0.1c version, it's actually playable, both online in 3v3 or 1v1, or in the shooting range. While it needs a lot of improvement, there is definitely potential.

I would also go as far as to say that Arma could benefit from some of DUST's features, such as separate controls for a bolt catch, charging handle, etc. It would allow for complex weapon failures and handling and would greatly improve the feeling that you're handling a real weapon.

It also creates a requirement for basic understanding of the weapon, which I believe is something not unreasonable to require in a game like arma.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to expect 3D PiP yet. While DUST is a nice looking game, it is extremely simple, its only current terrain being a very simple, nondescript desert. And even then I have noticed some loss in visual acuity through the optics. The only difference is that it doesn't really matter because a target's a target in that game, there isn't a lot of recon or detail-oriented requirements for optics in that game.

I do recommend trying it out for those who haven't played it. Download it here.

Ohh damn...i saw this game yesterday on greenlight...following the game since than cant wait for more info on it :) this game is gonna be so cool :)

I've been playing D.U.S.T. a bit as well. Now that it's in its 0.1c version, it's actually playable, both online in 3v3 or 1v1, or in the shooting range. While it needs a lot of improvement, there is definitely potential.

I would also go as far as to say that Arma could benefit from some of DUST's features, such as separate controls for a bolt catch, charging handle, etc. It would allow for complex weapon failures and handling and would greatly improve the feeling that you're handling a real weapon.

It also creates a requirement for basic understanding of the weapon, which I believe is something not unreasonable to require in a game like arma.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to expect 3D PiP yet. While DUST is a nice looking game, it is extremely simple, its only current terrain being a very simple, nondescript desert. And even then I have noticed some loss in visual acuity through the optics. The only difference is that it doesn't really matter because a target's a target in that game, there isn't a lot of recon or detail-oriented requirements for optics in that game.

I do recommend trying it out for those who haven't played it. Download it here.

This is what i was thinking too. It feels ok in Arma 3 handling a weapon, but it's still missing something. If there was a little more such as the bolt action/charging handle interaction, that would make is just that much more intuitive and feel so much better. Instead of just looks, the weapon in you have will start to feel more like a tool. It'd feel more real.

hi,

sorry to post this here, but this project could be also interesting

for tactcal fps players.

http://joinsquad.com/

Every video I've seen thus far (albeit only 3 lol), but it looks like Insurgency in terms of its game-play, only (a lot) worse...

Every video I've seen thus far (albeit only 3 lol), but it looks like Insurgency in terms of its game-play, only (a lot) worse...

It's more like Insurgency meets Arma without vehicles, and a crap ton of graphics downgrades. But it's a work in progress, and has alot of potential. It's first person animations are actually beating some of Arma 3's animations. The way the scope interaction shows the focus being changed, the ability to look at your watch or what ever that was. The ability to tilt your gun and look at the chamber. It also has free look via. Space Bar. Yeah, it looks crappy as heck, but for what it can do, the features make up for its crappiness, but over time, that means it won't look so crappy anymore, but it'll have the features it needs to be a good game.

It's more like Insurgency meets Arma without vehicles, and a crap ton of graphics downgrades. But it's a work in progress, and has alot of potential. It's first person animations are actually beating some of Arma 3's animations. The way the scope interaction shows the focus being changed, the ability to look at your watch or what ever that was. The ability to tilt your gun and look at the chamber. It also has free look via. Space Bar. Yeah, it looks crappy as heck, but for what it can do, the features make up for its crappiness, but over time, that means it won't look so crappy anymore, but it'll have the features it needs to be a good game.

True, but unless they add AI that are smart enough to not run into/through walls, they wont garner my interest. If I wanted team vs team I'd go play CoD, BF or similar. CO-OP is where its at for me.

True, but unless they add AI that are smart enough to not run into/through walls, they wont garner my interest. If I wanted team vs team I'd go play CoD, BF or similar. CO-OP is where its at for me.

I think the whole point of it right now is a proof of concept. I'm not sure if it'll ever get AI since it seems to be developed in unity by 1 or 2 people, but I would very much like to see its gun handling mechanics brought to arma.

It'd be cool if there was a feature to check your mag instead of having a bullet counter in the corner of your screen. Imagine pressing a button and being able to pull your mag out of the rifle to check it.

AGM does exactly this.

About the advanced, more realistic weapon handling like operating the charging handle: I'd already be happy if someone fixes the CoD-style instant grenade throwing of Arma3...

AGM does exactly this.

About the advanced, more realistic weapon handling like operating the charging handle: I'd already be happy if someone fixes the CoD-style instant grenade throwing of Arma3...

I miss A.C.E. :(

While AGM my do some of these things, is the little features like this that should really be apart of the vanilla core. For an infantry focused game/simulator, some of those features are gold. I would love to see them show up later down the line in Arma's life.

move slow at first then build momentum awesome.

Arma 3 is doing better now moving towards realism, but it still needs alot of work.

Making arma 3 more arcadey is definitely the wrong approach, more gameplay additions like stamina, weight, bipods, , weapon resting and afm all improve the game tenfold.

If they somehow added, wind, more realistic ballistics , better more realistic weapons then the future of Arma will be even brighter.

I miss A.C.E. :(

I really do too.

I especially miss the artillery system.

move slow at first then build momentum awesome.

Arma 3 is doing better now moving towards realism, but it still needs alot of work.

Making arma 3 more arcadey is definitely the wrong approach, more gameplay additions like stamina, weight, bipods, , weapon resting and afm all improve the game tenfold.

If they somehow added, wind, more realistic ballistics , better more realistic weapons then the future of Arma will be even brighter.

I really do too.

I especially miss the artillery system.

oh yeah haha

I did download it and it's amazing. night and day compared to the vanilla game. Still haven't tried the arty but I'm loving the FCR/S and ballistics.

oh yeah haha

I did download it and it's amazing. night and day compared to the vanilla game. Still haven't tried the arty but I'm loving the FCR/S and ballistics.

Wait till you start messing with the explosives , crew served weapons, mortars and Helicopter fire control system.

Wait till you start messing with the explosives , crew served weapons, mortars and Helicopter fire control system.

Hehe, I can't tell you how awesome it was to attach a satchel to the Mh-9, set the timer fly for a bit until I felt it was about to go, eject, look up and watch the explosion perfectly that could have killed me.

It takes awhile, but in a recently uploaded video by Bluedrake, there is a game called D.U.S.T. that is barley even an Alpha. So what does ths have to do with anything? Well, besides the fact that it could be an intresting Infantry focused game in the future, but it's the features it has, even this early into it's lifespan. The game includes the ability to do a few unique things to that game. That being the ability to use the Charging handle on your rifle, the ability to check the chamber, and the most unique, the ability to actually change zoom and focus on a high detailed 3D scope which appears to be using smooth PIP.

Wouldn't it be cool as anything to be able to focus your scope? That's cool as anything, the fact that it appears to be PIP as well, is also impressive... Unless it's not PIP, then it would be mind blowing. But the game is barley in existence yet, and with little features like this, it's already on it's way to success. But what does this still have to do with anything?

People want PIP, and the Marksman DLC is inching closer. However, you can't have PIP if it takes away from the game in any way. If you loose FPS or graphical quality, than the PIP becomes a problem. If there was a way to have a 3D PIP scope with no impact, than there certainly wouldn't be an issue with it. But with the few little things i've seen in this pre alpha game, makes me wish there were a few more little things like this in Arma. It'd be cool if there was a feature to check your mag instead of having a bullet counter in the corner of your screen. Imagine pressing a button and being able to pull your mag out of the rifle to check it. Or being able to see if there is a round in the firing chamber. I'm not sure where this is going now, but it's pretty damn cool. Here is a link to the vid, check it out yourselves. He has a link to the website in the description where you can actually download this game and try it. But mainly just check out the features.

Thanks very much for bringing this up - also thanks to @the_Demongod for linky to Alpha.

I was just looking at UE4 wiki - documentation is excellent and the system tools look 10* easier to use than Arma (I don't even bother with the official Arma 3 tools as they are buggy mess - Mikero all the way)

Re DUST: Stuff like weapon handling and PIP scopes is nice but is more "icing on the cake" for me. I'm more interested in things like:

• maximum map-size
  • how well it handles entities spawned in Game (& maximum entity count)
  • How well does the engine scale?
  • How is AI calculated? (hopefully not all hardcoded to main game thread)
  • Can you have proper rivers and streams???
  • Can you have subterranean structures???

These things are more important to me as they are either the standard set by RV (map size for example), or they are it's massive shortcomings (CPU utilisation/no proper rivers etc)

I know very little about UE4 but will start doing some reading. Hopefully as it is proven engine, it should scale well (ie not crap out on the CPU like Arma does) but I should really just download and see if I can test these things :)

Thanks once again!

One of the guys from Red Hammer Studios is working on a ACOG with PIP enabled:

One of the guys from Red Hammer Studios is working on a ACOG with PIP enabled:

As it's been said, I agree PIP is more Icing on the cake. In certain situations it's useful, and others not so much. But the real topic here is the gun handling in General. While DUST is capable of this stuff, it's bare bones. The most unique features are few, and include large view distance in Multiplayer, Advaned PIP technology (zoom and Focus), and little gun interactions that matter to gameplay.

In BlueDrake's latest video, he is in a 1V1 with one developer. We also learned that there is no buttons to changing from iron sights to Scope, or longing up scope perfectly. Instead, you have to move you characters head into position to either line up the shot, or switch between sights. I don't know if this would have a place in the Armaverse though. Mainly the gun handling is what gets attention the most. Though it would be nice in Arma's view distance could be set higher in Multiplayer by default, without a performance hit. I could run certain maps with full view distance but everyone is forced to around 2k, maybe less. PIP could come at a later date, when Arma has an engine that could keep up with something like say... War Thunder. (Which is probably impossible... Maybe one day we won't have a limited circle of fog for a view distance)