Sign in to follow this  
Mirek

Iveco LMV

Hi

iam working on Iveco LMV ACR.

I have this so far: http://i.imgur.com/C2SsVsA.jpg (111 kB) Its done With Wings 3D freevare modeling software.

Now i need some data on interieur. I have some photos that can be found on the internet, but it lacks detail and overall idea of the layout. So if anyone has something more it Would be appreciated.

And also if anone have a detailed photo on the clamp that holds the hood closed, it would be appreciated.

Also how is the interieur in arma games done? it is part of the model or it is a separate model? I did some modding for Space shooter game Starshatter the gatering storm years ago and there the cocpit interior had to be separate model.

I will nedd more help later as i will progress with the model, but for now....................

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mirek

Whats the senzible polygon count for a single vehicle in arma?

face count in any one LOD (usually viewpilot/cargo is biggest) should be less than 20,000 faces ideally.

Wow 20 000? Was expecting something like "dont go over 5000" Gues i will put more detail on my model. :yay:

i have so far around 5000 polys.

lGj1ydB.jpg

gKyaF4t.jpg

i think faces is higher than polys, or am i confused lol

a plane lod might have 10k points and 16k faces for example.

when you're at about 25k faces it won't binarize, saying too many vertices 32k, etc...

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

tip: you can also take all the non animated stuff like whole tyres, or dashboard surrounds and make them proxies to turn them into 1 face only for that lod. i did this with the lynx recently and the cockpit surround was 5,000 faces in cargoview. that allowed me to add a 50cal and a gpmg to the model lol

What do you mean by faces? wings shows me Polygons edges and vertices

so i have right now my iveco model containing 3 bodies two mirror halfs of the main body and the cargo box, two of them are 1874 polygons 3953 edges 2075 vertices each

third is 227 polygons 472 edges 243 vertices.

so i have 3975 polygons so far.

I do 3d modeling for years but i always used only WINGS 3D (I used other programs only to transfer wings format to other formats). So i only know names of features that Wings Uses, So What is proxyes?

Also what is binarize?

Edited by Mirek

when you import a model into O2 (take a look at a sample model) you will see the face count at the bottom of the screen for that LOD.

once faces in any one LOD exceeds 20k you will see a "too many vertices" error when compiling your model with makepbo. this process is called binarizing, as it converts the data to binary format, enabling the computer to read it much more efficiently.

a proxy can made in O2, by selecting a part of your model and making it an independent model. thus when you makepbo the model folder, it will binarize both models (example: the truck, and a wheel proxy you have made) this allows you to put many more faces/polys into your model.

thank you :-)

be warned though, that a proxy as a whole can be animated, like a rotor or wheel rotating, BUT the parts of a proxy cannot be separately animated, so for example you would not want to make a PKM machinegun on the roof of a truck into a proxy, or otherwise the animations like belt_rotation and magazine_hide and trigger and recoil would fail, as these are animations assigned to PARTS of the weapon that you have made into a proxy.

as far as i know, this also applies to camo / camo1 type skin selections. so your parts you make into a proxy will not change if you use hiddenselectionstextures to reskin them say at init (random camo script we use)

Oh thanks, i dont think i will use proxyes, i rather try just normal models first, and only if or after i learn it enought so i will be sure about what am i doing, might i try more.

So iam almost done with the exterior:EaJ4Ocm.jpg

Can anyone Suggest good freeware UV Mapping Software? Inbuild UV mapping tool in Wings is bit clumsy to use.

Hi Nice job !!!

Take care of your door normal (interior triangle edges) You should "re-oriente" turn these edges to avoid this normals problem.

Uv mapping is patience. i suggest put some music in back and go ;)

Some links :

LithUnwrap

UW MAPPER

Thanks for your tips.

About those normals, in theory i know how to fix them i had the same problem i have on those doors, on the front lights, and i fixed them. But on those doors, whatever i do, it doesnt help, iam bit frustrated about it. I tried to reorient all the polygon edges in side the door plane numerous times, but the door still looks like someone crashed to them.