Sign in to follow this  
BGrenko

Question about learning the scripting language

I have a general question regarding the built in scripting language used by the Flashpoint Series that I hope you all will be able to answer. I would like to be able to take full advantage of the scripting feature. In order to do, so I will need to aclimate myself to the language itself. I am not a computer programmer but have dabbled succesfully in the past with languages like Pascal and C++. It's been at least 10 years since I have attempted any programming (I have forgotten much). The power of the scripting language and built in mission editor have rekindled my interest in programming/scripting. I feel like I could get a better grasp of the scripting language and it's syntax if I went back to "programming 101" so to speak. I need to know if there is a language that is close enough to the scripting language, that I can learn it's basics and "port" some of the knowledge over. What I'm looking at is getting a firm handle on basic scripting conventions like : using arrays, event handlers, functions, variables etc ..   Once I get a handle on that I'll delve into the BIS Command Reference Guide and "port the knowledge over". So, does anyone have a recommendation for a place to start. Would it be Java Script, Python, C++ ?

The scripting language is a cross between C++ and Java, if you lean C++ you can't go wrong.

RED

The OFP language is in it original form very similar to Python.