Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Lack of Realistic Sounds On The Battlefield

I was reminiscing when watching the old 'Joint Operations' videos about the good old days gaming, when it suddenly struck me what 'immersive' sounds Arma is seriously missing. Yep, that's the desperate pleas for help from our seriously and mortally injured comrades whilst in battle. Whether cries for help, moans and groans or pleas, the reality is when in battle and your comrade gets hit you'll hear him or her call out for help or just whimper as they succumb to their inevitable fate.

Sure, it's a distraction and annoyance, but it's also realistic... Adding these sounds may IMO encourage players to play as medics to help stop those meandering cries for help whilst fulfilling a role that many don't want to undertake.

The problem is that arma 3 don't fit this kind of scenario,the guy was hit by grenade fragments then just in a press of a buton you're 100% again so why we would have these sounds just pressing a buton ?

Pretty powerful stuff, especially with what I believe is a 'Hans Zimmer and co' piece of music. It's pretty emotional stuff - albeit acted out. But it just demonstrates that regardless of what killing machines and warriors men think they are, when we're faced with death our composure goes out the window. As unpleasant as it is, soldiers choking on their blood and pleading for help is an all familiar sound on the battlefield. I think adding such distressing sounds when a player's seriously injured will add a lot more depth, realism and immersion to Arma. As I mentioned, it may also encourage players to become medics. If tags are off in the game settings it would also assist player's to locate their injured comrades when visibility is impaired.

It would be interesting to find out whether or not these distressing sounds actually influenced how players react. For example, would it make a usually selfish player become more selfless by helping a comrade rather than making kills?

I think adding such distressing sounds when a player's seriously injured will add a lot more depth, realism and immersion to Arma.

I have to agree with Eduzumaki, it doesn't fit the gameplay. Screaming at the top of your lungs and then being totally fine 10 seconds later would sound completely off and destroy any immersion. It'd be a different story if getting severely injured meant the player would get incapacitated for the rest of the mission.

I think we need more blood, blood pools, blood splats, the soaked uniform look aint doing it for me, id like to see wounds and blood specific to the area

that was shot or injured, so gun shots will be specific, whereas grenade fragments would be random or sporadic wounds, i think with this we could maybe

place decals or something of the sort to bodies, and then have the bleeding, blood ect,. accordingly.

I know there already is blood, but if you kill a guy the blood is there unless you have a cleanup script the blood should stay on the ground or wherever.

Death screams imo should be specific to a guy dying not already dead, I would assume if theres any actual war vids out there of people actually getting shot

and dying from it immediately that their "scream" or pain what have you would be a grunt, or maybe nothing.

So basically not every kill renders a scream, and screams should be more specific to wounding and less to actual kills, if your going to add a long drawn out scream to a guy then

he should be alive for the duration, not lying dead and hes screaming, you aint screaming when your dead, your doing it when you get shot, or wounded.

I'd much rather see the devs working on a new set of 'injured' animations than any kind of gore or sounds, for example what VBS has with limping. Frankly, any kind of ambient moaning and groaning, or worse - "help me I'm dying" dialogue like in those cheesy Red Orchestra videos - will only become repetitive after a while and negate any immersion that may have been felt when you first heard them.

If there were to be any new sound effects, I'd rather they were something like pained, erratic breathing after being wounded (original Ghost Recon comes to mind), or some relatively unobtrusive groaning. I agree with those who said that screaming and calling out wouldn't fit the tone of the game.

I agree with those who said that screaming and calling out wouldn't fit the tone of the game.

Unless... an AI medic was able to respond, for example, a group comes, you shoot, throw grenades, the group scatters, moves to cover, they start firing back from

where they can, maybe a couple lone soldiers in the group got hit by one of your grenades, and are wounded and calling out for help,

but the only help the can get is from a fellow medic in the group, so with the group still pinned down by you, because your so awesome (lol)

you hear the calling out or the wounded crys, ect,.

I think it can fit, were talking about Arma here, if dinosaurs, mechs, and scifi stuff can be made possible and fit, then this can too, just needs to be made "believable"

after all its a military game so why not. I also agree with the injured animations, animations would make actions for whatever it is more...immersive.

Unless... an AI medic was able to respond, for example, a group comes, you shoot, throw grenades, the group scatters, moves to cover, they start firing back from

where they can, maybe a couple lone soldiers in the group got hit by one of your grenades, and are wounded and calling out for help,

but the only help the can get is from a fellow medic in the group, so with the group still pinned down by you, because your so awesome (lol)

you hear the calling out or the wounded crys, ect,.

I think it can fit, were talking about Arma here, if dinosaurs, mechs, and scifi stuff can be made possible and fit, then this can too, just needs to be made "believable"

after all its a military game so why not. I also agree with the injured animations, animations would make actions for whatever it is more...immersive.

Agreed. I guess the devs could map sounds to a specific level of injury. They'd have to a number sounds to prevent repetitiveness. In many respects we already have the sounds with the fatigue and injury system, just not when the player it totally incapacitated through serious injury.

I also believe the blood and gore should be representative of the level of injury. Take Wade's death in the movie 'Saving Private Ryan'.. a mere small hole in the chest from a single round can cause a hell of a lot of bleeding both internally and externally. But, I think the devs would have to create an optional level of blood through the game's settings so not to cause distress to anyone easily offended. Then the onus and discretion would be on the consumer and not the developer. That way BIS would be free from criticism and condemnation.

Right, and have a parental control, password type thing you see on some games (dont recall any atm) but for the blood.

It just seems strange that the devs have gone through a painstakingly amount of time and trouble to create what can only be described as an amazing and realistic infantry experience, only to fall short on something so simple as the effects of physical and psychological trauma.

It's not pleasant, but unfortunately it is the reality of warfare and I honestly believe that BIS and its devs shouldn't shy away from documenting such graphic content should the consumer wish to see the reality and ugliness of warfare.

What kind of "trauma" are you looking for?

Moaning phrases / words of dying soldiers become pretty boring after a while. However, if done within limits, simple "Aaaahhh", "Uhhhh", etc. will increase immersion.

I think RO2 death sounds are a little overdone and would get redundant in a game like Arma.

Moaning phrases / words of dying soldiers become pretty boring after a while. However, if done within limits, simple "Aaaahhh", "Uhhhh", etc. will increase immersion.

I think RO2 death sounds are a little overdone and would get redundant in a game like Arma.

What would make it less boring or not boring at all would be if (1) there were tons of samples, (2) they randomized which sounds were played and (3) Only played sounds in the right and specific situations.

Indeed. Look at the wounded sounds from ArmA2, after 5 minutes you'd be sick and tired of hearing your character, or that of a squad-mate, saying "Argh my f**king leg!". Even if they had recorded 50 different lines it would soon get repetitive and annoying.

sounds appropriate to being in pain would be fraking awesome. and more blood please. and more apparent bullet impacts (not just on units but buildings too seeing and hearing impacts taking out chunks of plaster or at least seeing the plaster dust and the sounds of different surfaces being more different). its too sterile right now.

We already have sounds when you get shot. You get hit and there's like an "aaaah" sound