Sign in to follow this  
bullhorn

Cinematic camera for video recording?

I asked around on IRC and tried to find some YouTube tutorials but failed.

I've managed to use the Splendid Camera, the Zeus camera and also the Spectator camera (wow so many cameras) but I couldn't figure how to have very precise and slow X+Y+Z+rotation/pitch movement. Preferably something with smoothing. Like they used for the Splendid Split karts DLC video, or how Dslyecxi used for his tutorial videos.

The best I managed to get was with Splendid camera, if you hold the LMB and slowly move the mouse around, it will accelerate in the direction, but you still can't rotate/pitch/Z smoothly.

All help is appreciated!

Well I know it's possible to use the numpad to slew the camera around, so perhaps somewhere in the controls you could connect a controller and set it up?

I believe the way Dslyecxi does it is with an addon called "gcam" which is essentially the spectator camera but in 3rd person, that responds to motion and allows you to change the camera position. It gives you very fluid, smooth shots.

I asked around on IRC and tried to find some YouTube tutorials but failed.

I've managed to use the Splendid Camera, the Zeus camera and also the Spectator camera (wow so many cameras) but I couldn't figure how to have very precise and slow X+Y+Z+rotation/pitch movement. Preferably something with smoothing. Like they used for the Splendid Split karts DLC video, or how Dslyecxi used for his tutorial videos.

The best I managed to get was with Splendid camera, if you hold the LMB and slowly move the mouse around, it will accelerate in the direction, but you still can't rotate/pitch/Z smoothly.

All help is appreciated!

Here is a good one to work with :

I've had good results mapping the Buldozer [sic] controls to a controller and spawning a camera. More specifically, mapping my TrackIR rotational axis to camera rotation axis (Buldozer) and the camera translations to a HOTAS.

Thanks a lot everyone!

After I posted the question, I started thinking and realized that there are no analogue inputs with a keyboard and the mouse doesn't really allow for smooth movement as you can see the pixel-by-pixel movement. I remember using a spectator camera once that had built-in smoothing but I don't know what it was called.

Then I assumed that Dslyecxi used his HOTAS or rudder pedals and never even thought of using an XBox controller... But you guys are right, it works really well! Thanks a lot!

OK I'm trying these things and facing some issues

I've had good results mapping the Buldozer [sic] controls to a controller and spawning a camera. More specifically, mapping my TrackIR rotational axis to camera rotation axis (Buldozer) and the camera translations to a HOTAS.

How can I get rid of the letterbox and the white dot crosshair? Other than that, it wasn't too bad!

I wish I could bind the Splendid Camera to my controller...

How can I get rid of the letterbox and the white dot crosshair? Other than that, it wasn't too bad!

I wish I could bind the Splendid Camera to my controller...

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/showCinemaBorder

The above command should allow you to disable the cinematic border. As for the crosshair, I know that "L" key will/should lose it, if you wish to lose it via script I'm not too sure. I know that in VBS you can use:

"SwitchCameraCrosshair" setAction 1;

to do it, try it out it may or may not work in ArmA. But in any case you should still have the "L" key method :)

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the G Cam  mod to function with a controller? I have tried changing every part in the Arma 3 controller section but it does not work. I ended up extracting the G Cam Pbo and found a keybind section, however, I do not know how to add the analog sticks or buttons over to that config file. I barely could find some virtual codes for a normal keyboard and even those dont actually match up with the default keybindings of the G Cam config file.

Here is a part of the default config:

// Camera Move Front ( default : 17 )
#define KEYMOVEFRONT 17

// Camera Move Back ( default : 31 )
#define KEYMOVEBACK 31

// Camera Move Left ( default : 30 )
#define KEYMOVELEFT 30

// Camera Move Right ( default : 32 )
#define KEYMOVERIGHT 32

// Camera Move Up ( default : 16 )
#define KEYMOVEUP 16

// Camera Move Down ( default : 44 )
#define KEYMOVEDOWN 44

// Camera Move Straight Front ( default : 3 )
#define KEYMOVESTRFRONT 3

// Camera Move Straight Back ( default : 45 )
#define KEYMOVESTRBACK 45

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? I would really like to have smooth analog controls while using G Cam for those nice shots. Any help appreciated!

I put in the players init : this exec "camera.sqs" . Then place a trigger around player .  Activation anybody.  Condition: true.  On act: showcinemaborder false.  I use manual filming no scripts. 

On 5/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, ThatArmaDude said:

Hello there, I was wondering if anyone knows how to set up the G Cam  mod to function with a controller? I have tried changing every part in the Arma 3 controller section but it does not work. I ended up extracting the G Cam Pbo and found a keybind section, however, I do not know how to add the analog sticks or buttons over to that config file. I barely could find some virtual codes for a normal keyboard and even those dont actually match up with the default keybindings of the G Cam config file.

Here is a part of the default config:

// Camera Move Front ( default : 17 )
#define KEYMOVEFRONT 17

// Camera Move Back ( default : 31 )
#define KEYMOVEBACK 31

// Camera Move Left ( default : 30 )
#define KEYMOVELEFT 30

// Camera Move Right ( default : 32 )
#define KEYMOVERIGHT 32

// Camera Move Up ( default : 16 )
#define KEYMOVEUP 16

// Camera Move Down ( default : 44 )
#define KEYMOVEDOWN 44

// Camera Move Straight Front ( default : 3 )
#define KEYMOVESTRFRONT 3

// Camera Move Straight Back ( default : 45 )
#define KEYMOVESTRBACK 45

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? I would really like to have smooth analog controls while using G Cam for those nice shots. Any help appreciated!

Try changing the Buldozer control assigns.

• Like 1

I just made a video tutorial on making a camera.  Hope it helped. Check the video thread for my video. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2018 at 2:14 PM, dmarkwick said:

Try changing the Buldozer control assigns.

Thanks, that works with the camera sqs script but not with G Cam. It seems that G Cam has separate control configs from the settings in game and they don't interact.

On 5/14/2018 at 12:00 AM, wika_woo said:

I just made a video tutorial on making a camera.  Hope it helped. Check the video thread for my video. 

Thank you for taking the time, that helped for going another direction for sure. Think I will have to just ditch the G Cam mod for this.

• Thanks 1