Sign in to follow this  
Defunkt

Trivial interface changes that could make using ArmA less tedious sometimes...

I keep thinking of tiny changes that could really reduce repetitive irritations using some aspects of ArmA;

1. When ArmA launches and finds a missing AddOn dependency at startup, how about adding a Cancel button to the Windows message dialog so we can immediately exit and fix the issue rather than having to complete the whole game load before exiting.

2. When returning to the Virtual Arsenal menu via Escape how about placing the mouse cursor over the Arsenal button (the next logical interaction), it's always on the other side of the screen and has to be dragged all the way back every single time.

3. When placing Groups how about a checkbox that says Set Leader as Player (and default this to checked if there's no player down already) instead of giving us that "No player selected" message every time we place a group. Alternatively just get rid of the message (we know how to use the editor) or make the Preview button always available and instead show the message when attempting to Preview without a player set.

4. How about giving us a 'Snippets' scratchpad in the editor where we can save (and later copy and paste) frequently used pieces of initialization code?

I wondered if others had their own (and if by listing them here they might get noticed and possibly even acted on).

5. Sometimes when you get to the briefing screen in MP, it places the mouse cursor in the bottom right hand corner, so the map scrolls South East automatically and away from the AO so you have to find it again yourself. - Das Attorney

6. I'd like to see the briefing text moved to the right side of the screen. Currently it displays in the middle, obscuring the very part of the map that any links in it move the map to. - doveman

7. Perhaps another option would be to list Briefing, Tasks, etc horizontally in a row at the top of the screen, then have the details for the selected option displayed on the left-hand side of the screen, where it would avoid obscuring the map and targets/markers. - doveman

8. I'd like to see the right side of the Lobby/slot screen used to show the load-out for the currently selected slot. It would be very useful if we could see what weapons that role will have to use, so that people can avoid slotting roles with weapons they're not familiar with, before proceeding to the Briefing. That would be more useful for most players than seeing everyone's ping and there could always be a button to toggle between load-out and ping screens. - doveman

9. It places the mouse cursor in the same right corner when you open your inventory. - Toysoldier

10. Playable units should stay playable when copied ( Incredible tedious to create 50 playable units). - R3vo

Edited by Defunkt

4. How about giving us a 'Snippets' scratchpad in the editor where we can save (and later copy and paste) frequently used pieces of initialization code?

I have a notepad file that I have been passing from computer to computer since the days of OFP that has all my "frequently used" script commands in it. Works well. I also have some missions that I have frequently used object or group compositions in.

Yeah, that's the default M-O but if you prefer to run fullscreen which I do (because I like a darker Gamma in-game and because otherwise I get window borders extending onto my second screen) switching is a bit laboured and slightly crash-prone.

The same thing accessible in-game (pointed to a text file in our ArmA profile folder) would be seamless in all cases.

Sometimes when you get to the briefing screen in MP, it places the mouse cursor in the bottom right hand corner, so the map scrolls South East automatically and away from the AO so you have to find it again yourself. Trivial but annoying.

I'd like to see the briefing text moved to the right side of the screen. Currently it displays in the middle, obscuring the very part of the map that any links in it move the map to.

I keep thinking of tiny changes that could really reduce repetitive irritations using some aspects of ArmA;

1. When ArmA launches and finds a missing AddOn dependency at startup, how about adding a Cancel button to the Windows message dialog so we can immediately exit and fix the issue rather than having to complete the whole game load before exiting.

I've learned that you can kill the game in Task Manager before clicking on Ok in the Windows message dialog, thus preventing the entire loading thing alltogether.

I'd like to see the briefing text moved to the right side of the screen. Currently it displays in the middle, obscuring the very part of the map that any links in it move the map to.

Perhaps another option would be to list Briefing, Tasks, etc horizontally in a row at the top of the screen, then have the details for the selected option displayed on the left-hand side of the screen, where it would avoid obscuring the map and targets/markers.

I'd like to see the right side of the Lobby/slot screen used to show the load-out for the currently selected slot. It would be very useful if we could see what weapons that role will have to use, so that people can avoid slotting roles with weapons they're not familiar with, before proceeding to the Briefing. That would be more useful for most players than seeing everyone's ping and there could always be a button to toggle between load-out and ping screens.

It places the mouse cursor in the same right corner when you open your inventory. And why is empty ammo always available to select in vehicles and GL.

Edited by Toysoldier

Perhaps another option would be to list Briefing, Tasks, etc horizontally in a row at the top of the screen, then have the details for the selected option displayed on the left-hand side of the screen, where it would avoid obscuring the map and targets/markers.

That would be great - it's totally in the way centered.

Playable units should stay playable when copied ( Incredible tedious to create 50 playable units)