Sign in to follow this  
supergruntsb78

Arma 3 crashing while using mods

(sorry if this message sounds a bit angry, its in no way intended that way, i just cant believe what has happend and is happening)

Hi there,

just a question, what has happend to arma 3 ? from day 1 i played about an 1000 hours without any sort of problems, i get busy so no arma for a while after i return i see updates has passed by (especialy the bootcamp upgrade (1.24?)) and suddenly my VERY stable, heavy modded ARMA 3 has mod problems, because i have little time i can't do anything about it... after a long time no ARMA 3 i think hey lets go play again and so it begins... i make a clean install (because of all the mod problems i had after 1.24) it updates to 1.36 and i begin putting mods back (very slowly and carefuly) and then i suddenly notice after some play time i get a random crash (i can't reproduce it) so i try and try and try but no way its getting stable anymore

then it updates to 1.38 and i hope this may solve something, but no way it does solve anything as still i get random crashes.......

so my question is what the H*** happend to arma 3 wich i played for 1000 hours without a single crash and i can now not play for more then a couple of hours before crashing to desktop ??

(please dont come up with its probably a mod problem because 3/4 of the mods i have now are updated (up to date) versions of what i had before and the amount of mods i have now doesn't equel 1/2 of what i had before)

the RPT file gives a different story everytime i look, so it won't help either

Edited by supergruntsb78
noticed some writing errors :P

do you have the random crashes without any mods? That is still the question

do you have the random crashes without any mods? That is still the question

This. And the simple answer would be mod incompatibility/conflicts, and out-dated mods.

What do you use to manage your mods? Do you combine pbo on one folder?

Forget mods, it's just easier to blame Arma 3 for all of the problems. :suspicious:

Forget mods, it's just easier to blame Arma 3 for all of the problems. :suspicious:

Like all those idiots opening up tickets on the feedback tracker stating they can't raise/lower their weapons with 2xCTRL only to realise its a bug with AGM? :D

Always run the game in vanilla to test if the problems you have, are game related. ;)

i know its probably some sort of mod conflict (already checking wich could make so much problems) , but thats not what i mean... i mean arma would not crash easily in the past (i realy played for hours and hours in a row while i was out of a job and i had load and loads of mods present and no crash what so ever)

if its a mod then how is it possible to have it so bad to crash arma randomly ,sometimes it takes an 1/2 hour other times it will take 1/2 a day while using no different mods between those sessions.

(as example : i played yesterday for several hours in a row building a mission and testing it without problems until it crashed at the end of the day (i was in and out of arma several times (alt tab) and checking every new part in preview mode several times) today i started ARMA hit preview on a very small test mission and because it was diner time i went to make diner it took me about 15 minutes to make the diner and while eating it (aprox 5 minutes later) i suddenly noticed a change in screen so i looked and arma was crashed without me doing anything.......

i can not conclude anything else then arma is much less stable these days then before... ( i noticed it after the 1.36 patch when i returned to arma after a big break 1.24 was the latest patch i had seen and i know it broke a lot of mods and so i started fresh with the 1.36)

Have you checked your RPT file and submitted your crashlogs to one of the (several) crash related tickets on the feedback/bug tracker?

Unfortunately, I agree with OP. There have been a lot of random CTD's in the past two stable branch builds. It's frustrating.

Here's ONE of mine: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=22464

But that being said, developing in Arma always has been and likely always will be a frustrating process with many ups and downs.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Also, dealing with several of these CTD issues over the past couple weeks..

I'm willing to accept that if I'm developing a mod, I'm running the risk of hitting these issues. My problem is that it is very hard for me to debug the problem. The bidmp file I cannot open, the mdmp file wants access to arma3.exe code, which I don't have.

At one point I was dealing with a CTD when I executed a doMove command on a group member that was in a custom formation my team created. Why? Who knows. There is very little documentation on custom formations. Was the logging useful? It gave me a stack_overflow. Thanks. Solution? Don't use doMove command on the units in that formation.

OK.. I mean.. sure..

Also it won't release the cursor when it CTDs, so I have to use my keyboard to navigate task manager..

ehhhh does any moderators have a reason and an explaination as to why the title has been changed ? (the title was exactly as meant , what has happend to arma 3...(question) and not arma 3 crashes with mods (statement))

Edited by supergruntsb78

ehhhh does any moderators have a reason and an explaination as to why the title has been changed ? (the title was exactly as meant , what has happend to arma 3...(question) and not arma 3 crashes with mods (statement))

The reason is the previous title was not descriptive, what constitutes descriptive title is having no generalizations (i.e. "What has happened to Arma 3"), and has some sort of related information to the issue/post at hand.

You can review this forum rule (#21 to be exact) and all the other rules here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/misc.php?do=vsarules

all though i do not completly agree (the change without a notice or option to change it myself) i will offcourse obey the rules.... so thank you for answering my question JShock..

back on topic,

@Tiskahar, glad to hear others are also having this,