gossamersolid

[MP] GWAR3 (Gossamer's Warfare 3)

logo.png

GWAR 3 - Gossamer's Warfare 3

Hello everybody! I'm back with my take on the CTI/Warfare game mode. I have written the mission ground up this time. It's been in development since around May 2014 and I feel like it's finally time to get it out into the public so that everybody can try it out and let me know what they think. The website is not as finished as I'd like right now. I haven't had the chance to write the manual yet. If you would like assistance, you can always hop by the TGW Teamspeak3 server -> http://www.tsviewer.com/index.php?page=ts_viewer&ID=1020860. Password is fwiends.

Overview

GWAR3 is a CTI/Warfare based gamemode, basically a hybrid of RTS and FPS (for those who aren't familiar). Players are split into two teams, which vote one player as a commander. The commander is responsible for building base structures, which provide the team with the ability to purchase equipment, vehicles and AI units. The map is layed out into zones, which each have a number of camps. Zones are responsible for the primary source of income for each team. The more zones your team owns, the more income you'll get. There are currently three ways to achieve victory. The first, is destruction of the other team's primary structures and mobile HQ (Light Factories, Heavy Factories and Aircraft Factories). The second, is complete ownership of every zone on the map. The third, is ticket depletion. Each team will begin with a default of 1000 tickets (configurable via mission parameter). When a player dies, a ticket is subtracted from their team. When your team has more zones owned than the enemy team, they will suffer a ticket bleed. The ticket bleed amount increases as the match goes on and your team owns more and more zones. Team work is essential, there are no AI commanders or AI squad leaders. It is up to you and your friendly players to achieve victory.

Features

• 24 player TvT
  • Playable on Altis with alternate zone layouts available for better playability depending on available player count
  • 5 Specializations (Officer, Special Forces, Medic, Engineer and Pilot) available to further suit your play style
  • Completely 100% written from scratch

License
GWAR3's code is all fully visible and NOT obfuscated because I believe in learning off of other people's work. Everybody is free to make derivatives and borrow snippets. The only thing I ask is that you mention my name in your credits if you make a derivative or borrow my code.

I also will not support bugs found on non official servers, derivative missions or any usage of my code. Something isn't working for you? That's up to you to fix it. I will support bugs found while playing on the official servers though (only way for me to know the code is untouched).

You also cannot sell your addon/mission if you use any of my work. Donations is another story as long as they aren't mandatory (all of us need to pay for our servers somehow, right?).

Changelog

Redux

- Replaced custom BIS_fnc_showNotification with the original BIS one

- Replaced base defines with new ones

- Fixed LineMarker error on RscMapControl

- Added two entries to stringtable.xml (STR_briefingName and STR_overviewText)

Downloads
Redux version provided by HazJhttps://hazjohnson.com/ArmA/GWAR3 Redux.zip

Credits

GWAR3 Team
Haz (Redux version changes/fixes)

• Like 1

Is your rewrite mainly a refactoring (better code/performance/AI/etc)

or are the also deeper gameplay changes (aside from the winning conditions and mission parameters)?

;2861418']Is your rewrite mainly a refactoring (better code/performance/AI/etc)

or are the also deeper gameplay changes (aside from the winning conditions and mission parameters)?

As i understand this is a complete rebuild from the ground up.

I cant wait to see this... I sent you a pm

I'm glad you're excited. I'll read your PM

;2861418']Is your rewrite mainly a refactoring (better code/performance/AI/etc)

The idea started as a re-write to hopefully result in a better understanding of the core code and to possibly get better performance. I ended up changing quite a bit of the core functionality as time went on though (I was becoming very bored of more or less re-writing the same thing as I had previously worked on).

I'd say there are definitely gameplay changes (whether you see them as deep or not' date=' I'd say is personal opinion :))

- Equipment purchased is now re-bought each time the player dies (previously you bought it once and you could re-spawn over and over again without paying for equipment)
- Zone incomes are dependent on the size of the zone and how many camps it has (previously zones were lumped into 1 of 4 sizes and that dictated how much income you received from the zone)
- Zone/camp capturing can only be done by infantry now, so you cannot spam vehicles and simply order them to camps/depots. Thought vehicles can "contest" a camp so that you cannot spawn on it.
- Zone capturing logic has been streamlined so that it's easier to understand how quickly you can capture a zone
   - Each infantry counts as +1 to your capture strength
   - Each camp owned in the zone counts to +1 to your capture strength
   - The max capture strength of attacker OR defender is +3
   - Example: I attack a zone. I own 1 camp, the enemy owns 2. If I walk to the depot and there's nobody defending, I capture at 2 strength a second. If one defender comes over, they will begin to re-capture at a strength of 1 (2 camps + 1 infantry) - (1 infantry + 1 camp)
- Zone capturing has a "lockdown" system now. Note that this only applies to team vs team (doesn't apply to resistance held towns)
   - If a team captures a zone from another team, that zone is put into a 15 minute lockdown, where it cannot be attacked by the other team
   - If a team enters a bluefor/redfor zone that isn't in lockdown, a 10 minute timer begins. This is the amount of time the team has to capture the zone before it is considered "Defended" and at that point will enter a 15 minute lockdown period again
       - Capturing a camp from the defender side adds 5 minutes to the clock
       - Capturing a camp from the attacker side reduces the clock by 5 minutes
       - If an attacker is within the radius of the depot, the clock freezes

As i understand this is a complete rebuild from the ground up.

This was the idea, I hope the end product reflects my hopes that it is considered unique from the other CTI modes.

The networking system I implemented was originally designed so that I could attempt a strong client/server architecture. I quickly found out that ArmA's PV system seems to send anything array based extremely slowly. Even with an array being maybe around 8kb took anywhere between 3 - 7 seconds depending on how many players were in the server. Unless I'm missing something and was doing something completely wrong.

I'm also hoping going the addon route doesn't bite me in the ass. The lack of warfare/CTI assets in ArmA 3 is a shame.

Edited by GossamerSolid

The lack of warfare/CTI assets in ArmA 3 is a shame.

Crime more like. How long would it take BIS to make .... 1 day ?

Crime more like. How long would it take BIS to make .... 1 day ?

Good thing I have an updater tool which allows people to easily download the addons :)

please make server files for nix, or if you don't mined I sent you new pm. with a idea..

please make server files for nix, or if you don't mined I sent you new pm. with a idea..

The server side DLL is written with .NET, I'm not porting it to Mono any time soon, so don't hold your breath.

So far the only real use for the DLL right now is database integration. When the server files are released, if people don't want database integration, then they should be able to run it on linux.

Edited by GossamerSolid

When the servers are online for testing

They should usually be on 24/7 as long as I'm not pushing an update to the servers.

You can check their status on the server list page -> http://gwar3.com/#serverlist

Server #1 defaults to Stratis, Server #2 defaults to Altis

Edited by GossamerSolid

when can I make my own server Hosten

Sorry my english is not good :(

Edited by jus61

when can I make my own server Hosten

Sorry my english is not good :(

I don't have a date set yet, but I'll release the server files as soon as possible. The more that people play, the quicker we'll get it stable.

I don't have a date set yet, but I'll release the server files as soon as possible. The more that people play, the quicker we'll get it stable.

were do I post bug, or any issues.. im not sure of the ones you already know, but I played last night by myself , .. but never the less game was fun.. ill do what ever you need to help support it,(or just sit back and enjoy the game play).

were do I post bug, or any issues.. im not sure of the ones you already know, but I played last night by myself , .. but never the less game was fun.. ill do what ever you need to help support it,(or just sit back and enjoy the game play).

I don't currently have a bug tracker setup. Feel free to PM me or post them in this thread for now.

I see you live in Ontario, I lived in London for 10 years or so..

but to do with bugs or what ever , I see ai warping now and then...

I don't completely undersand the bleed ticket I was kinda mad I thought our team was going to have a come back but mission ended.

it was very fun though..

I see you live in Ontario, I lived in London for 10 years or so..

but to do with bugs or what ever , I see ai warping now and then...

I don't completely undersand the bleed ticket I was kinda mad I thought our team was going to have a come back but mission ended.

it was very fun though..

Nice, I've never been to London. I have been to Kitchener/Waterloo though.

AI warping would most likely have more to do with the game/server. I don't really have control over how smooth the AI move around.

The ticket bleed system can be a little confusing, I haven't had time to write documentation yet. Here's how it works:

- Both teams start with an amount of tickets (defaults to 750 - configurable via mission parameters)

- The ticket bleed calculation is (Zones Owned by Team, not under attack + (Difference of zone count between both teams * 2)) - so for example, Bluefor has 3 zones, opfor has 1, ticket bleed would be 7 bleed on opfor (3 + ((3 - 1) * 2))

- Ticket bleed is applied every minute (60 seconds)

I'm glad you had fun though, I hope to see you by again. We usually get a big enough group on sundays @ 2:00PM EST.

what mods are we allowed to use and which servers are up pls

what mods are we allowed to use and which servers are up pls

Both servers are up right now -> http://gwar3.com/#serverlist

Servers allow:

- JSRS 2.2

- JSRS Dragonfyre

- Blastcore Phoenix Update

- Latest CBA

- L_Enhanced Soundscape

- Speed of Sound Pure

the mission itself uses all of the HLC weapon packs + ASDG joint rails, so those are allowed and required.

Edited by GossamerSolid

Both servers are up right now -> http://gwar3.com/#serverlist

Servers allow:

- JSRS 2.2

- JSRS Dragonfyre

- Blastcore Phoenix Update

- Latest CBA

- L_Enhanced Soundscape

- Speed of Sound Pure

the mission itself uses all of the HLC weapon packs + ASDG joint rails, so those are allowed and required.

opps I didn't have any addons loaded besides your mod..

opps I didn't have any addons loaded besides your mod..

There are a few guys that don't use mods, but I prefer to run blastcore/jsrs 2.2 myself.

anyone playing to night? any updates? my short cut gwar updater stoped working ...

some one steam me _1__3_ so I know when a game is going on please

anyone playing to night? any updates? my short cut gwar updater stoped working ...

some one steam me _1__3_ so I know when a game is going on please

The shortcut shouldn't stop working unless you moved or deleted the application. In any case, you can always re-download/re-install -> http://www.gwar3.com/#downloads

My group pretty much only plays on weekends due to personal life schedules.