Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Please Please BI do not break All In Arma!!... or FINALLY support it!

what do you like BI to do...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. what do you like BI to do...

• take on AiA as their own and support it and fix it
    • not to break its current state with their updates
    • nothing

If I was running a games company, I certainly wouldn't hire people if they're already making all this excellent quality stuff for free! :\

chortles dont spread wrong information

If I was running a games company, I certainly wouldn't hire people if they're already making all this excellent quality stuff for free! :\

Now he stopped, it's time for it !

lack of support for AiA was a big mistake, simply handing out the a2 data and then abandon the field, expecting the community to port everything (that is not broken by the engine) after 2-3 years of work obviously cant be the way to go.

Now that Kju is gone it will become even more apparent... wish all the best to Kju and that everything turns out according to his expectations!

Keeway, newsflash: talented and professional coders can do a lot of different stuff, not only maintain their project.

So yes, I guess there would be money, not for AiA (that could be a side effect, "splash damage"), but for making ArmA better and giving any chance for AiA support. Everybody wins, but if BI was good at making right decisions I guess there wouldn't be as many rants in the forums.

Fabio, basically I don't belive there's a better option in the corporate world, but they could support it and expand backwards compatibility, like Kju mentioned.

In ArmA2, things made for v1.0 worked in 1.62. In ArmA3 there would have to be like what, 3rd "compatibility fix"? Cmon, what is this, CoD? Every patch every addon needs to be repaired? That sounds like someone, somewhere did some ghetto coding, doesn't it?

Edited by JonPL

Please stop the "pay/hire kju" - there is no point to it (details).

Nor should this be about me, but the general policy of BI towards modding as well as backwards compatibility.

+1 kju i agree, this thread is not about hiring kju but arma 3 to think about their updates and if they could break AiA at least notify us in some way

BI has enough on their plate with fixing the game that these mods are developed on, Its on the creators to keep them up to date and compatable. If the creator no longer wishes to support a mod then its alot like when a company pulls a product from their supported line, you're SOL. Instead of wanting BI to adapt their development to AiA, why not pick up where kju is leaving off. if OP is so concerned with the death of AiA, then pick up the banner yourself.

BI has a lot of stuff on their plate, like fixing the compability issues, that make AiA impossible to complete 100% functional for modders...

that BI has a lot of issues is not an argument for abandoning an important project that adresses a lot of BIs issues.

I think AiA will break at some point, however there are now a few terrains coming forward for those that play A3, so the issue of terrains is getting eased. There are some nice terrains out now, although I really only go sight seeing myself, but its nice to see terrains being made for A3, its not as prolific as A2, but that's to be expected with the changes that makers have to adapt too.

Regards assets for A3, its always going to lag behind A2CO, I can't see it ever being as well catered for as that. It will take years for that to happen, it may happen after those years, but I wouldn't hold your breath. But you can cross your fingers and hope for the best.;)

+1 kju i agree, this thread is not about hiring kju but arma 3 to think about their updates and if they could break AiA at least notify us in some way
... but then is there any particular reason that a specific mod is supposed to be privileged over another in that respect? Also, I remember them doing the whole "notify us in some way" bit when it came to weapon sounds... but then going ahead with the change whether or not any modders followed suit. I do however distinctly remember kju saying in the original announcement that "If someone wants to take over, contact me/go for it (APL SA)." Specifically, "As all projects are open source and APL SA someone else could take over. The complexity, scale and overall effort makes this quite a challenge though. In case someone is really up for it, I will try to upload all my WIP data to shared host."

If anyone feels passionately enough about AiA to take up the burden, there's his e-mail...

Edited by Chortles

BI has enough on their plate with fixing the game that these mods are developed on, Its on the creators to keep them up to date and compatable. If the creator no longer wishes to support a mod then its alot like when a company pulls a product from their supported line, you're SOL. Instead of wanting BI to adapt their development to AiA, why not pick up where kju is leaving off. if OP is so concerned with the death of AiA, then pick up the banner yourself.

Problem is, the creator of all supported islands in AiA is exactly the company that no longer wants to support it - BIS. And it's so easy to say "one took off, someone will take over" without adding any actual value to the community. You know, extremely dedicated and knowledgeable people like .kju aren't that common as you may think.

I'm only worried about AiA Terrain pack. If we lose that, we lose alot of possibilities for scenarios.

I'm only worried about AiA Terrain pack. If we lose that, we lose alot of possibilities for scenarios.

In time it's very probably will loose that.

That's a bis choice: will see how that will impact on future sales

No, kju's the one who would no longer support it; there's no indication that BI was ever going to deliver an official AiA TP to begin with.

EDIT: VVV That too... and, like I posted, if you feel about it passionately enough to actually take on the burden, kju left his e-mail...

Edited by Chortles

APL-SA.png

^^This.

If it get's partially or fully broken, anybody can fix it by releasing it under the same community-contributing licence. People can even improve it their self, things like opening Chernarus buildings, map icons for the new update... This is COMMUNITY created content. If the community can't maintain it, then shame on us. BI is already working on their own map, the expansion terrain which probably is going to bring shit ton of objects and terrain features. When that happens maybe (hopefully) we won't need AIA TP dependency for every map.

The only thing BIS should be concerned about fixing is their own work. If fixing problems with vanilla Arma 3 breaks mods then so be it. That's what needs to be done. It's then up to us modders to make our work compatible with BIS' work. Not vice versa.

Exactly.

There are various Issues with the Maps that can only be convieniently fixed by BI, check the feedback tracker tickets in my signature for some examples.

The only thing BIS should be concerned about fixing is their own work. If fixing problems with vanilla Arma 3 breaks mods then so be it. That's what needs to be done. It's then up to us modders to make our work compatible with BIS' work. Not vice versa.

Hit the nail on the head here.