Sign in to follow this  
chrisb

Medieval Engineers

Medieval Enginners

Game from KSH, the makers of Space Engineers. Basically the same sort of building type game, only obviously this time we're going medieval. I like the look of it and knowing Keen the devs, the price for early access will be reasonable, so I'll probably buy it.

They have stated that both games, Space Engineers and Medieval Engineers, will benefit each other in terms of content, which is great. I'm getting quite into these building games, it can be interesting stuff. Not for everyone of course, but a change is good.

Interview with dev.

Should mention, its not on early access yet, it will be soon hopefully, on Steam of course..

Edited by ChrisB

I always wanted build own castle. Hm. Actually I still want it.

Not sure I like the moral of that story: spend years building shit up, red dude comes outside and tears it to shit with a trebuchet, agonizingly slowly watch the destruction of a lifetimes work, run into basement dungeons with a torch....... Man up Blue!!!

Thats why god invented swords, crossbows and cows

Thats why god invented swords, crossbows and cows

And why successful breeders invented the escape tunnel ;)

Red guy reminds me of hammerites.

Would be interesting if they added a small army to "test" your construction,after that maybe your own army to defend your castle.

Some sort of Stronghold in third person because right now the hammerite guy coming with a trebuchet is funny as hell although I realize it's called Medieval Engineers,not Medieval Burly Men with Swords and Clubs.

And why successful breeders invented the escape tunnel ;)

Ahahaha ok that made me lol for real

@Proftournesol & @Rydygier

I've not been into medieval type gaming, but this is sort of different I suppose, although they intend AI, MP, larger terrains and so on, so could be used either way. Will be interesting to see where they go with it. They have said they're not really going down the fighting front much, more keeping it to building. Maybe have the PvP stuff take care of the fighting side when MP arrives. Then at least, it makes it a choice, rather than part of the game.

I live near a number of castles here, within a 20-30 mile radius there are quite a few, so it will be nice to copy and build a few back to how they may have looked, when first complete. I hope we can build small town's, I've seen that in a few games. Also walled cities, have one of those local to here too.

Must admit its very relaxing and quite addictive once you start these types of games, you just can't seem to leave it until its finished.:)

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm looking forward to it.

i like it but without interesting combat system and NPC fighters battles would be very... boring.

Also, how are you going to mine minerals in survival? in space engineer you can have mechanic contraptions that make hand-mining/crafting obsolete or at least speed thing up big time. Unless they go into a more steampunk kind of thing thats not going to fit into medieval period...

Edited by Fennek

i like it but without interesting combat system and NPC fighters battles would be very... boring.

Also, how are you going to mine minerals in survival? in space engineer you can have mechanic contraptions that make hand-mining/crafting obsolete or at least speed thing up big time. Unless they go into a more steampunk kind of thing thats not going to fit into medieval period...

Maybe they will use the biological contraptions of the middle ages: serfs :p

It would be nice... but i doubt it. They want to create a building game, not a medieval life simulator - and i dont blame them for that, it's not easy and they are not planning on doing an AAA title.

But that's what imo lacks from both space engineer and (from what i can see) medieval engineer, and also minecraft for that matter. You can build big structures but they are ultimately useless in game terms. A dirt house in minecraft keeps you safe. In medieval, a simple tower might do the same to protect yourself from some barbarians. Why do you need a big castle? You dont have any people that live there/ nobody except you to defend it.

That's the problem i have with both engineer games. You have a sandbox, where you can build stuff, which is nice, but you can't really play with it. You can only pretend how it's going to be used if there was an army/ a crew...

Edited by Fennek

It could be interesting if they add some sort of rts management with workers, fighters and so on

Of course there's MP, to play with others, to use your creations, once available of course. SE has that already and its going to be the same for ME too.

Also AI/NPC's are in the pipeline for SE, so will probably end up in ME. Not to the stage of huge battles or anything, but the odd skirmish etc, I would think.

KSH are going for building in these two games, both SP & MP. They are not really going for the combat side, although many player groups are planning this via MP, groups/teams and so on. It has potential to be very good for many things, not simply build/survive. They have said that the two games will inherit bits from each other, I can see them basically going down the same route over time.

Its never going to be a huge combat medieval battle type thing, but it could be if MP grows when it becomes available. Its just down to players, groups, teams.

As said, NPC/AI are coming to SE, so I expect the same in ME eventually, but that could be a few years down the road for ME, but for Space Engineers, it should be in this year sometime.

I find it a little bit of an odd game type, it has soo much potential, its just a matter of 'if' that potential gets seen. However I really enjoy the SP building ships, platforms etc (mostly all creative mode). They may or may not get used for anything in particular, but its still very enjoyable just building these things.

Really its just another form of gaming.

:)

I too enjoy the building, but i'm not much into the multiplayer part as far as space engineer is concerned. And even in multiplayer (i did it often in minecraft, not in space engineers) i still get the same feeling, for a short moment when i finished something there's the feel of accomplishment the feeling that stays however is that it's ultimately useless and i just wasted a big chunk of my time. Particulary when it's beeing done in survival (which i prefer).

I could have just modelled it in a 3d package and put into a game, where it can actually be used, in the same time it took to create it in survival mode (or even faster)...

For battles to take place you have to organize it (otherwise it's not enjoyable) and even then, its soo small. That's where NPCs should come in. They remove the need for large playergroups and give defenses a purpose.

I find it a little bit of an odd game type, it has soo much potential, its just a matter of 'if' that potential gets seen.

exactly what i feel. It has much potential but in the end its all unused. Minecraft, while (in its own way) pretty and fun, ultimately lacked interaction with the rest of the world. Villages in Minecraft for example added nothing to the game apart from beeing a landscape feature with "animals" in it. They where completely unimportant to the game.

I like games that allow sandbox stuff. But i dont like sandboxes that dont have a game in them, other then what you make of it.

I like to build stuff. I dont like not beeing able use that however, building for the sake of building isnt fun in the long run for me.

I like games that allow sandbox stuff. But i dont like sandboxes that dont have a game in them, other then what you make of it.

I like to build stuff. I dont like not beeing able use that however, building for the sake of building isnt fun in the long run for me.

The game is building/survival.

But I fully understand what you mean. It could be a case of the potential just slips away and doesn't come through. Only time will tell.

As for SP, certainly for SE, I think until they introduce a proper form of AI, then its not going to be much more than survival/building. That would be a shame if the potential was wasted, but what happens to SE will happen to ME, I think. So fingers crossed.

They did have a basic AI in Miners Wars and they are, they have said, working on an AI project. Hope that's for these games..

the surviving part is very trivial however in SE. Not really what i would hope for when talking about survival. Because the need for air/energy (/food/sleep) is easily covered and then the only thing that remains is building for the sake of building. You dont need alot of building to survive. It would be cool if you did, and that's where i see the most potential.

Medieval Engineers is out and its, well, your ancestors from your Space Engineers past, with better building blocks, nice music and a lovely view. :D

I'll be building a castle, perhaps go onto building a town within the castle walls, not sure yet. It is a good game, very similar in controls to Space Engineers, which is good for those of us that have played SE. Its easy to use, has a better block system and it looks good.

However at the moment you can only build in Creative mode, no other modes are available yet

Edited by ChrisB

So ME has already had a number of fixes plus also some other bits and pieces added to it. One being a very rudimentary AI (Barbarians). This is very basic but is a work in progress.

The game has great physics, knocking down castles etc, is quite fun (obviously better to build them), but if they're on a hill and provided your pc is upto the job, its interesting watching results of demolitions.

Some great stuff is already appearing on the Steam workshop and modding will come soon I expect. Space Engineers is already benefiting from ME with 'Voxel hand' added, to enable asteroid sculpting etc. The two titles will help each other in different ways throughout the process of development.

Once into the swing of things Keen (devs) will do as they have with SE and give regular Thursday updates (maybe another day as that was/is SE update day). They have been very consistent Keen with updates being as regular as clockwork, so I for one am very pleased with the way SE progressed and think ME should be much the same.

A review below by someone that can handle the English language :rolleyes:, plus there are plenty of others on YT and elsewhere.

Edit: Must add, that much has been added since this review/preview..

Edited by ChrisB