Sign in to follow this  
boozdeuvash

[Idea] Altis + Stratis

"Oh look, another smartass with an idea and no Mapping skill"

I'm surprised no one has made it real already, considering how obvious it is, but I'd really like to play on a map with Altis and statis together, for all the invasion and associated scenario value.

My experience on mapping is basically limited to tinkering with stuff on OFP's Visitor so it's next to nil, however since there is no actual map design involved (just put stratis in a corner somewhere), i dont think it would take that much time for a seasonned mapper. Feel free to add some interesting bits of rock on the vast expanses of water that would have to be included, too. Since the surface of Stratis is ridiculously small compared to Altis, I dont think the performance hit of the whole map would be that much, but then again i'm clueless little mapper wannabe.

Make it happen and i will love you.

Vanilla content is binarized, no one can do it. It would have been done already im sure. There could be a script wizard out there that knows something we dont though

Exactly, we need a high ranking script elemental wizard!

Or one of these warlock wizard-impostors called devs with unbinarizing black magic, that will do too.

it's Christmas after all.

Edited by boozdeuvash

I'm no expert but, if the intention is to have both terrains in one map without loading screens (in wich case cosmos engine is a no-go), that's not gonna happen.

Altis & Stratis use different grid sizes, wich, if I'm not mistaken, makes them "incompatible".

Vanilla content is binarized, no one can do it. It would have been done already im sure. There could be a script wizard out there that knows something we dont though

Yes, there are some guys who can do it ( they started by Bohe... ). But will they? Don't think so.

I really see no reason why they wouldnt, think of all the nice stuff that can happen with open source. Like abusive forking and uncommented edits!

cosmos engine does that

The Cosmos engine is pretty much a super scripted campaign level.. All you do is fly and it goes, "Hey - Load the next level!" and vis versa..

I'm no expert but, if the intention is to have both terrains in one map without loading screens (in wich case cosmos engine is a no-go), that's not gonna happen.

Altis & Stratis use different grid sizes, wich, if I'm not mistaken, makes them "incompatible".

Technically it's possible, not sure about licensing though.

Look at Saharni, they have 3-4 maps of the islands alone, then the real Sahrani with all of them in 1.

Sarahani is actually very small, I played on it the other day. With AIA Terrain pack. Compared to something like Chernarus and Altis, and even Takistan, it really isn't that big of a deal a few small islands combined makes it one decently sized map. Also, idk if re comps engine can do what it says it can. Someone will make a showcase soon enough and we'll see. What I want to see is Arty from Stratis to Altis, as the main Arty piece has a range so far it goes off map.

What about Takistan+Zargabad+Shapur?

How realistic is this? Are they compatible with each other? The unbinarized versions have been released right?

Wouldnt it cause more lag/frame drops? People complain about large maps causing frame issues....i can see this being the case here. If the idea is moving from one island to another, maybe someone could take smaller maps as suggested above instead of a bigger one like Altis.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love it if there was just a bridge connecting the two by water, but sadly I doubt we'd ever see that.

Isn't that largely to do with view distance settings?

Dont believe so, although it also causes related issue. The problem is the number of objects that is loaded from the map(s). Thats why people tend to have better framerates with smaller maps.

Stratis is a drop of water in a barrel object-wise compared to Altis. Only one medium-size town, a large military base with a handful of small ones, and scattered thingies. Kavala might have more non-tree objects than the entire stratis.

Takistan-shapur-zargabad might be a good idea but unlike an insland where you can just drop the little one in the water, it would require some serious work to piece them together.

It really wouldn't be much performance wise due to stratis using the same assets as altis and most of the extra space would be water. It would be a huge boost gameplay wise and could add alot of extra immersion to the people who like to fly cas seeing that 99% of engagements with cas birds doesn't consist of taking off and flying a few clicks to kill the bad guys. They could even market it as a "free dlc" to maybe make up for some of the lack of content for A3 in general.

BTW this is something they have looked into and im pretty sure there is a feed back tracker thing laying around somewhere about it. I'd imagine if they were gunna do it they would have told us by now :(

Takistan-shapur-zargabad might be a good idea but unlike an insland where you can just drop the little one in the water, it would require some serious work to piece them together.

Yes, I would figure that this could be done though and perhaps fill in some areas with just more mountains or something. Certainly harder than simply plopping Stratis near Altis.