Sign in to follow this  
sweetkitten

FADE kicked in on Steam and GOG versions.

Ok, so i've bought Arma: Cold War Assault 2 times (legitimately, no pirating!!!).

First time i noticed this in the mission "Rolling Thunder". My tank crew ignored any orders. Next - in the mission when you pilot attack helicopter it was impossible to hit any target - accuracy was so bad. Next - in the mission when you need to destroy 3 Shilkas - when i order my crew drive Shilka or shoot - they ignored all orders - just like in the "Rolling Thunder" mission. All this wizardry happened with my legitimately purchased GOG.com version. I was thinking that this was caused by using cheat "endmission" or by using game saves i found on the internet. I uninstalled gog.com version, deleted game saves, cleaned system with Cleaner program and bought ANOTHER license version of this game on Steam. I even installed Steam version on different HDD partition, but EXACTLY same problems appeared when i played missions since "Rolling Thunder".

I've had the same bug in Rolling Thunder for years (I think, it's very similar to what you are describing) and I have both the old game installed from the discs as well as CWA from the executable install file that BIS released first. I get booted out of the tank and can't re-enter it after a certain waypoint. Since I have had the game since it was released, and have not modded any original game files I'm fairly sure it's not Degrade, just a bug. I'm not sure about the other things you are describing, it could just be the Ai acting strange ... It is unresponsive at times.

I'm pretty sure that this is not a simple bug. In the helicopter mission when you attacked convoy it was absolutely impossible to hit any targets with 30mm cannon or 57 mm rockets - rounds will simply hit anything in circle AROUND target, but not close enough to even scratch it. My AI companion basically destroyed all targets. And i'm curious - what exactly triggers this so-called DEGRADE thingy in full, non-pirated version and how to avoid it. Also, i have not installed any mods nor i used any cheats - the game is perfectly "stock".

Edited by sweetkitten

I'm pretty sure that this is not a simple bug. In the helicopter mission when you attacked convoy it was absolutely impossible to hit any targets with 30mm cannon or 57 mm rockets - rounds will simply hit anything in circle AROUND target, but not close enough to even scratch it. My AI companion basically destroyed all targets. And i'm curious - what exactly triggers this so-called DEGRADE thingy in full, non-pirated version and how to avoid it. Also, i have not installed any mods nor i used any cheats - the game is perfectly "stock".

Trainers, memory hacks, using a duplicate CD-key (which considering you validated on Steam is impossible) etc. Maybe you have a program running in the background that triggers it. Try starting Windows in Safe Mode and see if it still happens then ...

Did you try running Steam or A2 as ADMIN? I had to run steam as ADMIN on windows 7 so it picks up certain registry settings. Works fine after that.

After re-launching the game i managed to finish Cold War Assault campaign almost without issues (except there was no video when you meet friends at the bar and game ends, just black screen). Currently i'm playing Resistance campaign and i had encountered another nasty bug. Any mission involving tanks is impossible to play - AI companions simply do not obey some orders and ignore enemies in armored vehicles. Also, after any order, they say: "3, roger that.", like third AI bot is their commander, not me, first!!! How to fix this? I've already finished Resistance campaign few years ago on another PC using CD version of game and there certainly were no any game-breaking bugs that i've seen in digital versions of Cold War Assault.

After re-launching the game i managed to finish Cold War Assault campaign almost without issues (except there was no video when you meet friends at the bar and game ends, just black screen). Currently i'm playing Resistance campaign and i had encountered another nasty bug. Any mission involving tanks is impossible to play - AI companions simply do not obey some orders and ignore enemies in armored vehicles. Also, after any order, they say: "3, roger that.", like third AI bot is their commander, not me, first!!! How to fix this? I've already finished Resistance campaign few years ago on another PC using CD version of game and there certainly were no any game-breaking bugs that i've seen in digital versions of Cold War Assault.

There's no reason for this ; AI hasn't been changed since, so (1) there's a problem on your side or (2) You don't remember those "bugs".

There's no reason for this ; AI hasn't been changed since, so (1) there's a problem on your side or (2) You don't remember those "bugs".

I've reinstalled Steam and Cold War Assault in new location, started new game and AI bots in resistance campaign still do not not obey many orders when they are in the armored vehicles. The most annoying - i can only do something when i'm the gunner or driver of the tank - when i take a commander's seat - my crew doesn't obeys orders. Also, when i order "move to the next waypoint" - my tank won't move, until i get out of the tank. And i don't run any software when i play, nor any trainers, cheats or other stuff.

If you're meant to lead the tank, i suppose there isn't any pre defined waypoint (so "move to next waypoint" shouldn't work). If you aren't meant to be the leader, when you take the commander seat, you don't become leader of your group nonetheless so they won't obey your orders.

EDIT : yeah, the WP thingy is probably not true, IIRC the campaign set waypoints even if you're the leader.

Edited by ProfTournesol

The AI is pernickety about the positions taken when mounting a vehicle. If you intend to command a tank, only assign your team-mates as driver or gunner and make sure you get in as commander.

Switching position in a tank may change your seat, but doesn't alter the command structure. So, if you get in as driver and order two team-mates to board before 'switching to commander', you will not be able to act as commander.