Sign in to follow this  
tobinator

Too many faces?

Hello,

I have a problem: I created an car model in Google SketchUp, imported it in Blender and imported it later in oxygen and saved as .p3d. Now I have a problem: I have too many faces in my model(in arma 3 i get an error with that message)...I already let a plugin(from sketchup) clean the model, but I don't come under 80,000 faces(I think the limit is 20,000?), without destryoing all. Is there any other way to get my model ingame? And yes I know, SketchUp is not made for something like this, but I have done a few things in SKetchUp before I started playing Arma 3 and know much about it.

Thanks for any help.

Greets

Tobi

Not currently like that. You can try making parts of the model proxies but that is still a lot of faces for a vehicle.

Unfortunately there's no easy fix for that situation.It's best to set a budget before you start modelling.

You could try running it through the decimator modifier when you get it into Blender.Although it might

require breaking it down into smaller objects to get a less aggressive reduction.Then re-combine before

export.

But with such a high resolution the end result may not be what you'd hoped for.

3ds max and Blender have tools specifically designed for use with the arma series.As painful as

it might sound,you should consider trying them out.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sketch-up or how it functions.But getting the end product out

of it in a workable form can be problematic.Especially for game formats. :)

Unfortunately there's no easy fix for that situation.It's best to set a budget before you start modelling.

You could try running it through the decimator modifier when you get it into Blender.Although it might

require breaking it down into smaller objects to get a less aggressive reduction.Then re-combine before

export.

But with such a high resolution the end result may not be what you'd hoped for.

3ds max and Blender have tools specifically designed for use with the arma series.As painful as

it might sound,you should consider trying them out.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sketch-up or how it functions.But getting the end product out

of it in a workable form can be problematic.Especially for game formats. :)

Not currently like that. You can try making parts of the model proxies but that is still a lot of faces for a vehicle.

Thanks to you both for your time, looks like theres no other way than getting into blender and doing the modelling there. Maybe the knowledge from sketchup helps a little bit(hopefully;)).

It's very sad for the model...

http://steelgaming.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Unbenannt.jpg (191 kB)

Theres one question left for me: Can someone maybe send me a good blender tutorial for a car(with blueprint set-up, ...)?

A very nice model. :)

You don't have to use Blender or anything else.I know people who use Sketch-up for all their modelling.

Then switch to 3dsmax for unwrapping and go from there.Obviously if you start from Blender/Max it will

shave some time off your work.And leave you with less clean-up.

If you are interested in Blender,then Blendercookie is a great place to find quality tutorials.

nice model.

the magic word you are searching for is "Normalmap"

via a normalmap you can reduce the topology even more and still have a better quality than your curend Model

a good example is on wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Normal_map_example.png

Edited by SaltatorMortis

nice model.

the magic word you are searching for is "Normalmap"

via a normalmap you can reduce the topology even more and still have a better quality than your curend Model

a good example is on wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Normal_map_example.png

Okay, it's a little difficult for me, I don't understand how it works...I got the normal map:

http://steelgaming.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ss2.jpg (205 kB)

But which step is the next step? The blender wiki say's:

4. Make a low-poly, less detailed model

but isn't it easyier then, to make a low-poly model at the beginning or what does this mean?

Blender holds itself a great baking process.. So what you are looking for is the bake option wich can be found on the "Render" panel... Same where you have those "Materials" etc.

What it means that you have the high poly version of the project, then you have retopologied it or whatever, to the very low poly version. When you "bake" HP normals to the LP, most of the details from HP are like it says baked on the LP without cost of faces etc.

Ill recommend you to watch this for an example.

Usually, you would start with creating a low poly model with less than, say 15000 faces, then create a high poly model from the low-poly one and bake the normals from the high poly model to the low-poly one.

Blender holds itself a great baking process.. So what you are looking for is the bake option wich can be found on the "Render" panel... Same where you have those "Materials" etc.

What it means that you have the high poly version of the project, then you have retopologied it or whatever, to the very low poly version. When you "bake" HP normals to the LP, most of the details from HP are like it says baked on the LP without cost of faces etc.

Ill recommend you to watch this for an example.

Thank you for the vid! It was very usefull and I know how it works now, but it looks very ugly after the complete process...don't know why, but maybe the model is too complex?

my guess you are displaying the normalmap as a texture..

maybe take another look on the tutorial where he sets the normalmap up..

or your uv unrap has some overlays

if this helps not maybe a screenshot/blend will do

I'm not sure it's directly related to what you're experiencing, however i found out buldozer stops rendering your model if you exceed a number between 18554/18939 points and (or? :confused:) 17040/17472 faces.

It basically hides everything.

EDIT: however, moving part of the model to a proxy, everything else unchanged, seems to solve the issue (as in, everything goes back to normal even if you exceed the number of points/faces mentioned above.

Edited by Chairborne

how many points you can have depends on your model / smoothing groups & uv layout, because its not always the same number. Roughly its in the 16-18k point range.

Bake with xnormal. Its free and easy. Great results when used properly. Look it up

how many points you can have depends on your model / smoothing groups & uv layout, because its not always the same number. Roughly its in the 16-18k point range.

It can be rather difficult to describe the limits, but a good start is Dx9 has a limit of 32,000 'Smoothing Group Vertices' *per object (difficult to find documentation in regards to these limits). In 3DSMax you can use a tool called 'Gamefomizer' to calculate these and other vertices counts. Of course these limits are per object, which is why splitting into Proxy works as each proxy is a separate object, subjected to a separate flow through the rendering pipeline.

This is an old, but good read on the basics of how it all works - http://www.ericchadwick.com/examples/provost/byf2.html