Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

isEqualTo is fast, but how to utlise this speed?

According to the code optimisation wiki page, the new isEqualTo command is fast, so I was wondering how to best use it.

isEqual to is for comparing arrays, but apparently, we can use it for other comparisons, so as far as I can see we should;

instead

if ( count _myarray > 0) then 

we should say

if  (_myarray isEqualTo []) then 

and

if ( typeOf _myvehicle == "B_Heli_Transport_03_F") then 

is not as good as

if ([typeOf _myvehicle] isEqualto ["B_Heli_Transport_03_F"]) then

I was wondering if firstly am I right in thinking this and if so, are there any other cunning uses of this we could use?

Edited by Tankbuster

Can use it to compare just about any exact values from what I've seen.

if (_number isEqualTo 0) then {
   // -- stuff
};

or

if (!(_number isEqualTo 0)) then {
   // -- stuff
};

if ((typeOf _veh) isEqualTo "ClassNme") then {
   // -- stuff
};

Just use it like ==

The problem is that isEqualTo comparisons are more strict than == so sometimes it may return false when it should return true

Your first one is wrong. It should be not:

if  (not(_myarray isEqualTo [])) then ...

Oops. Yes! Thank you

It's a nice way to compare group compositions :D:

if ((units _grp1) isEqualTo (units _grp2)) then { hintSilent "Looks like those groups are equally powerful!"; };

Can use it to compare just about any exact values from what I've seen.

if (_number isEqualTo 0) then {
   // -- stuff
};

or

if (!(_number isEqualTo 0)) then {
   // -- stuff
};

if ((typeOf _veh) isEqualTo "ClassNme") then {
   // -- stuff
};

Gosh you're right, and as DreadedEntity says, it's pretty much a drop in replacement for ==. It doesn't have to be just arrays!

AFAIK, it's a bitwise comparison. That's why it is fast.

That also means that it is not the same as "==". It's the same as "===". (which we don't have in sqf)

The wiki is a bit misleading by implying that would be especially for arrays.

This is why I asked.

I made biki entry for isEqualTo so I take this criticism personally. Id like you to show me where it says such thing.

It may have come across that way since the only example provided was comparing two arrays. Other than that the description does clearly say

Performs strict comparison between var1 and var2 and returns true if equal otherwise false.

Syntax:

var1 isEqualTo var2

Parameters:

var1: Anything

var2: Anything

Return Value:

Boolean

Unless all of this has only recently changed.

Edited by Iceman77

I made biki entry for isEqualTo so I take this criticism personally. Id like you to show me where it says such thing.

It doesn't, KK. It's the code optimisation page that mentions isEqualTo using arrays but doesn't mention it's other abilities.

As an occasional biki contributor myself, I'm very aware of how much you've done there and your work is greatly appreciated. No offence or criticism was intended

According to the code optimisation wiki page, the new isEqualTo command is fast, so I was wondering how to best use it.

isEqual to is for comparing arrays, but apparently, we can use it for other comparisons, so as far as I can see we should;

instead

if ( count _myarray > 0) then 

we should say

if  (_myarray isEqualTo []) then 

and

if ( typeOf _myvehicle == "B_Heli_Transport_03_F") then 

is not as good as

if ([typeOf _myvehicle] isEqualto ["B_Heli_Transport_03_F"]) then

I was wondering if firstly am I right in thinking this and if so, are there any other cunning uses of this we could use?

The equivalent of (_myarray isEqualTo []) would actually be (count _myarray == 0) and for ( typeOf _myvehicle == "B_Heli_Transport_03_F") you can just ( typeOf _myvehicle isEqualTo "B_Heli_Transport_03_F").

3 things that make isEqualTo different from ==

1. It is case sensitive when comparing strings

2. It doesnt throw error when you compare different types, i.e. ("eleven" isEqualTo 11)

3. It can compare arrays and booleans

actually going to add this to biki :)

So are you all saying I should stop using == in general?

Just use it like ==

The problem is that isEqualTo comparisons are more strict than == so sometimes it may return false when it should return true

Can anybody provide examples so I can remain vigilant? :)

== seems "safer". isEqualTo is for an exact comparison. I wouldn't say "stop using it".

So are you all saying I should stop using == in general?

Should you stop using a hammer because you have an axe which can double as hammer?

If it is faster, achieves the same, and the caveats don't affect my particular application then, yeah, I think it is worth using it.

If it is faster, achieves the same, and the caveats don't affect my particular application then, yeah, I think it is worth using it.

I'm sorry, I was under impression you were asking 'in general' and not pertaining to your individual implementation. You know what they say, different folks different strokes.

Yeah apologies, I used conflicting phrases there.

In my first post I was indeed asking about general use. In the second post I didn't mean something I am working on right now, I just meant at any particular time if there are no draw backs in a given use case, why wouldn't I?

That's a genuine question and not an argumentative one. Aiming to improve my knowledge by learning from more experienced is all.

It doesn't directly say so but it may give some readers that impression. Mainly due to the only provided example beeing about Arrays.

Theres no need to be touchy about that, I just think it could be clarified.

It doesn't directly say so but it may give some readers that impression. Mainly due to the only provided example beeing about Arrays.

Theres no need to be touchy about that, I just think it could be clarified.

No one stops you from making edits or adding examples to biki, it is community resource. I'm not getting touchy, just find it rather funny when people complain about biki expecting someone else to put it right.

Nobody said anything about expecting it put right.

I asked for insight about a command that is mentioned on *another* biki page (which you didn't write) which could go into more detail about the abilities of that command and as it only mentioned array comparison, might be said to be missing important information. I was helped by you and others and the isEqualTo biki page is now much better, again, thanks to you.

I tried to put some notes on that isEqualTo page last night, but buggered up the markup formatting and gave up. On that subject, is what AgentRevolution says in the notes correct or am I misunderstanding what he is saying?

The behavior of "var1 isEqualTo var2" is pretty much equivalent to "var1 in [var2]"

Nobody said anything about expecting it put right.

I asked for insight about a command that is mentioned on *another* biki page (which you didn't write) which could go into more detail about the abilities of that command and as it only mentioned array comparison, might be said to be missing important information. I was helped by you and others and the isEqualTo biki page is now much better, again, thanks to you.

I tried to put some notes on that isEqualTo page last night, but buggered up the markup formatting and gave up. On that subject, is what AgentRevolution says in the notes correct or am I misunderstanding what he is saying?

I guess what he is saying that "in" command uses the same method of comparing as isEqualTo, except it is looking for match in array.

I'm not getting touchy

Ok fine, it simply came across that way.

Oh and I actually posted a comment on the wiki right after I wrote my post here. But apparently the wiki swallowed it or something, since it never showed up.

Ok fine, it simply came across that way.

Oh and I actually posted a comment on the wiki right after I wrote my post here. But apparently the wiki swallowed it or something, since it never showed up.

There is a "how to" page, video guide and final preview available, I have no idea what you are doing wrong there.