Sign in to follow this  
Gpruitt54

Describe difference between mods and addons

As I have read here the difference between mods and addons is:

Mods change (or modifies) something that already exists in the game.

Addons inject something new which did not already exist in the game.

QUESTION(S)

1. Are the above correct? If not please clarify?

2. How do you before hand, if a mod or addon will be seen on an online server as a cheat feature?

3. Are mods or addons for single player gaming disabled while playing online?

I generally look at it like this.

Mods. Larger, multiple files that add or modify a variety of in game assets. (Weapons + vehicles, factions etc.)

Addon. single, smaller files that add a couple of focused assets to the game. (Weapons OR vehicles etc.)

I think the terms are loosely interchangeable at this point.

As Slatts mentions above, I think the size may influence your choice of words; but either way, I can't see anyone calling you out for 'using the wrong term'.

Extension is another word you may want to throw into the mix ^^

Back before DayZ, the two terms (three if you add extension, but I don't remember it being used back then) were interchangeable, meaning the same thing. It was almost an Arma-ism where we called Addons what other games called mods. Same way that we play "Missions" on the "Maps" of Altis, Stratis, Chernorus, etc.

So in comes DayZ. I consider it the first real "Modification" for Arma. The Life series before that could be considered a mod, but they didn't require a download. DayZ A: Required a download for its content and B: changed the gameplay away from Arma's core team vs team vs team and into a free-for-all/survival/zombie game. Additionally, you couldn't use it on top of the content already present in Arma 2, denying it the "Addon" title.

It's a personal pet peeve to see Youtube channels and news sites call Wasteland or KOTH or many other missions "Mods", when they require no downloads past the mission file, and don't change that core TvTvT gameplay. I have yet to play Breaking Point, so I can't comment on where that stands.

Since OFP ( more than 10 years ago, now called Arma 0 ) that maps are mostly called islands ( for obvious reasons, even if in A2 some weren't surrounded by water ), mods are groups of addons and addons are little additions ( weapons or vehicles ).

It's a personal pet peeve to see Youtube channels and news sites call Wasteland or KOTH or many other missions "Mods", when they require no downloads past the mission file, and don't change that core TvTvT gameplay. I have yet to play Breaking Point, so I can't comment on where that stands.

Yes, I must admit too, this annoys me more than it probably should.

Edited by AMatt
I failed to Quote properly

Yep, you are not alone.... I also hate when people call missions for maps.

Missions are missions, however complex they are. They might need addons or a mod. Mod = a group of addons dependent of each other. A total conversion mod changes the game.

The missions happens on maps (earlier called islands).

They are the same thing.

And I agree Anderson, not that it annoys me but the number of times I hear players refer to a mission as a map astounds me, it's really not that hard to figure out that one is not the other.

Edited by Lightspeed_aust