IndeedPete

[SP/Coop 04] Contention Zone

- DEVELOPMENT DISCONTINUED -

contentionzone_512x121osgu.jpg

9jisrs.jpg 6a9sam.jpg 199sos.jpg 7n6sh8.jpg

Good evening, people!

I'd like to welcome you to the Alpha version of CONTENTION ZONE. Some of you may have played Surfer's splendid Somewhere In Siberia or my MANW entry M.E.R.C.S. With CONTENTION ZONE we hope to combine both the atmospheric aspects of SIS with the technical features of M.E.R.C.S., packed in a neat SP / COOP mission. Now let's get down to the facts!

Version: 0.51 ALPHA

Overview
The year is 2047. Eight years have passed since the small island of Altis became a nuclear battlefield, right on the borderline between Europe and the Middle East.
Since then, the face of Altis has changed. The once blue skies are now covered with a thick toxic mist, the formerly fertile grounds suffer of radioactive contamination. And other even more deadly hazards have appeared.
No one could tell if they have been accidents, intentionally created, or if they resulted from the heavy punishment of the island.
Those who ran into them and survived called them anomalies. Soon after the war, a privately held organisation named CONTENTION stepped in and promised both help and recovery for the people on Altis.
Tasked by the United Nations and provided with unlimited funding as well as the ability to engage the situation outside of any jurisdictions or independent supervision, CONTENTION started to deploy scientific and security staff on the island and established research centres and quarantine zones.
Over the years these quarantine zones have been expanded to effectively cover the whole island and hundreds of square kilometres of sea around it. Altis has been locked down completely with only a handful of independent remainders, roaming the island, barely managing to survive.
They don't call this place Altis anymore. They call it CONTENTION ZONE.

Features

• Atmospheric SP/COOP Mission for up to Four Players
  • Voice Acting
  • Open World Infantry Gameplay With Focus On Small Arms And Unarmed Combat
  • Custom Textures, Sounds & Music
  • Custom Shop And Loot System
  • Custom Conversation System
  • Story Driven by Main Plot & Generic Side Missions
  • Customised Altis Map with new Cities and Locations
  • Custom Weather and Day/Night Cycle
  • Hazard Zones, Anomalies, Acid Rain, Toxic Fog & Blowouts
  • Mutated Civilians and Aggressive Animals
  • Standalone Flashlights, Geiger Counter & Hazard Detector

Planned Features (Subject of Change)

• "Diablo"-Respawn
  • Elevators
  • Underground Structures
  • Whiteouts
  • Artifacts

Actively Supported Mods (All Mods Are Completely OPTIONAL)
The following mods are officially supported by the shop system, use is completely optional. Do not start an MP session where clients run different weapon pack mods than the server. Any mod use at your own risk.

• Toadie's SmallArms and Animations for Arma3
  • EUROFORCE by IndeedPete
  • CSAT Snow Tigers by IndeedPete
  • Black Star Movement by IndeedPete
  • SP Campaign Ice by IndeedPete
  • Hidden Identity Pack V.2 by Cunico

How to Install
Copy the "CONTENTION_ZONE.Altis.pbo" to your Arma 3 Missions and/or MPMissions dir ("...\steam\steamApps\common\Arma 3\Missions").

Developers
Surfer - Idea, Story, Map-Design, Sounds, Graphics & Textures
IndeedPete - Story, Mission-Design & Scripting

Changelog

0.51 Alpha - 16.12.2015

• FIXED: Improved dedicated server support.
  • FIXED: Major performance killer caused by spamming setDate.
  • FIXED: Detecting ZOMBIE anomalies caused the generation of unexpected map markers.
  • FIXED: Generic FIND mission task would show the wrong grid location.
  • FIXED: Mistakes and errors in various dialogues.
  • CHANGED: Improved shop system.
  • CHANGED: Implemented new, custom loot framework.
  • CHANGED: Improved zombie script framework.
  • CHANGED: Tweaked UI feedback for main missions.
  • ADDED: New parameters for SP and MP.
  • ADDED: Parameterised random infantry, ground vehicle, and air vehicle patrols.
  • ADDED: Parameters dialog for SP.
  • ADDED: Two new main missions.
  • ADDED: Two new generic SECURE and ELIMINATE missions.
  • ADDED: Whitelisted gas masks from Hidden Identity Pack V.2 for the shop and hazard systems.
  • ADDED: Automated indexing of items for the shop system.
  • ADDED: New map locations.
  • ADDED: New custom music tracks.

0.50 Alpha - 02.10.2015

• Initial Release

Contact
You can reach me on the BI-Forums: http://forums.bistudio.com/member.php?53386-IndeedPete
Or feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/IndeedPete/

License
Content created by IndeedPete and Surfer is published under the "Arma Public License Share Alike (APL-SA)". You are free to take or change anything you can use, just give us a mention in the credits.

Release

Credits & Thanks

• Bohemia Interactive Studios for this great game!
  • MrCrazyDude115 for his splendid voice acting!
  • Shuko for his SHKPos script!
  • And all the great people on the BI-Forums who helped out with answers and feedback to so many questions!
  • Like 2

Glad to hear! In the meantime, enjoy some of Surfer's "naive architecture" how Corporal_Lib called it:

12w2sqt.jpg 119psvh.jpg

Wow, is that Raif? Plenty years after the returns to Altis... I mean, Contention Zone lol

You can call it "ArmA Lego" too, instead of blocks, Surfer uses pre-frab buildings to create new structures... gosh, that NPP made with the Geo-dome and water towers in pure genius!

I want to playtest it sooooo bad =D

cheers!

Ha, no I guess it's just his face. There might be characters known from M.E.R.C.S. appearing later on but for now it's a set of new guys with their own stories. Unfortunately, I'm slowly running out of fresh faces.^^

I think that was a chemical power plant but I'm not sure.

There is not much to playtest yet. We have a few square kilometres of customised map areas, basic hazard / anomaly funcitonality and a rudimentary generic mission generator for now. Recently started to produce story missions but editing in an MP environment makes it a lot more difficult and the whole process goes slower than in SP.

I think that was a chemical power plant but I'm not sure.

Actually it's the former Altis NPP. Part of it is still walkable while the main reactor is in it's sarcophagus since the incident in 2042 ...

Ah, see my Altian History classes are a while back I'm afraid. :)

Hey, glad you like them. Well, I haven't done as much as I wanted over the Christmas holidays. I'm back since yesterday and will pick up work as soon as possible. We have a part of the map, a set of characters, lots of details and a handful of playable missions by now. MP editing still gives me headaches sometimes but most of the (anomaly) stuff is working in the network already.

Yeah, I'm also still in holiday-mode, surfing on the Canaries. But I've got my laptop with me, ready to get back to the CONTENTION ZONE.

Thank you both for the reply, take your time and enjoy your holidays. I realy like the feeling and vibe in those images. Can´t wait to make my own first steps on that mission. Happy new year folks! :)

Ohhhh I´m soooo freaking hyped to playtest it! I´ve played the "Something on Siberia" coop and advertised the Contention Zone to lots of peoples! Hope the alpha isn´t sooooo faaar awaaaaay ;D

cheers!

Beware. I'm watching this project. Closely. :)

Frankly, I'm counting also for standalone framework/anomalies etc modularity - some new mission ideas started to emerge...

Oh dear, pressure's increasing rapidly. So we need to publish some quality work after all... :D

Yes, the idea of a stand-alone framework has come up between us as well - and I have received multiple inquiries regarding that idea. I'm not sure in which dimension though. Just the anomaly / shop functionality? Functionality plus customised map elements? Or the whole zone with anomalies, shop & conv systems plus a loose quest framework for players / devs to fill with content?

As for my possible use it's about anomalies/artifacts. But why not to make separate module for each aspect, that may be useful standalone?

Should be possible. I mean, functionality can be extractred already. There might be a few requirements such as SHK Pos or some functions of my own functions base. But apart from that, the hazard zones / anomalies are pretty much stand alone.

I'd love to see the framework released, too. Since the anomalies' behavior is based on STALKER games (assumption), it's gonna be hell of a fun to integrate it into my missions.

The anomaly framework's actually releasable by now already. However, we're still enriching it. Plus we want to be the first ones publishing a mission with it. :P

In the meantime, my cute little zombie dog wants to play fetch with you guys:

3rya0f.jpg 2mljyg.jpg

• Like 1

Doggy wants a bone? hey, not MY bone! Ohaaaa, get baaaaackkk arghhhhhhhh

Lovely Indeedpete, everyday I get hypier to playtest this mission!How´s Surfer on the "naive makeshift architeture" department? Wanna see some more skycrappers made of vanilla buildings lol

cheers!

Thanks guys! I'm afraid I don't have new pictures of Sufer's architecture but be sure he's developing his concept also in a horizontal direction. ;)