Sign in to follow this  
Capjerahya

forest sloping and make model disapear?

I know I ask to much but I already spent a couple of days trying to figure something I can't figure out. When forest are placed in a mountain slope, it aligns the model to the ground to prevent trees from floating right? But how do I prevent the leaves from doing it?

And also, I have a grass model with 3 view loads 0.3, 0.4,0.5 (I assume 0.1=10meters) and I wanted the grass to stop rendering at 50m so I set 0.5 with no polys. Problem 0.4 model is still rendering as far as 100m. Is there something I need to know more about LOD and model rendering?

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the first half of your question, but I'm fairly sure that no-one really understands LODs as they're implemented in the game. If anyone does understand them, they've immediately given up all their possessions, taken a vow of silence and gone to live in a former wine barrel.

The game seems to see the LOD value only as a suggestion. The 0.1 = 10metres approximation I don't think even qualifies as a rule of thumb. Binarizing (converting from MLOD to ODOL) sometimes even changes the value. You could try a geometric progression: 0.1, 0.2, 0.4

Is it actually giving you problems in game? Your computer may be so powerful that it doesn't feel the need to reduce the LOD.

I'm not sure about the first half of your question, but I'm fairly sure that no-one really understands LODs as they're implemented in the game. If anyone does understand them, they've immediately given up all their possessions, taken a vow of silence and gone to live in a former wine barrel..

As it makes my day, a little test about how lods seems to work : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Resolution_LOD_Samples

Thanks, I did test it both my PC and my old laptop with only 1GB ram and P4 processor and I spammed 30000k models in a 500m x 500m area and it still renders 2nd to the last model lod. I used someone else model added one LOD with no model and it worked fine. Maybe it's with how I model my grass.

Did a little bit of researching and couldn't solve the forest thingy. Maybe it's the same reason why the removed this feature on the later version of the enging.

Last qustion, it's taking me to much time just to work on the forest to lign things up. Is the a better way on moving models with it's LOD and Geometry without moving unselected models? And are there any tutorials about forest Paths.

Forest is a thing i never tried to build, but i made several experiment with grass, and i never managed to get it working properly, whatever i tried with res lods. It simply killed my FPS too much each time.

I derped, I ment 30k not 30000k. I took me a whole day just to make 50mx50m triangle forest lining everying one by one from res LOD to fire geometry but I'm happy with how it turned out. I just don't get how forest path works so I snag one from an example, move some of the vertices so it won't in to a tree then I have my path.

I never thought modeling takes allot of time. I spend a ton of time making missions but now I want to add a bit of spice in the scene.