Sign in to follow this  
havatan19

Max. Objects in 2d editor ?

hello,

anyone can tell me what is the maximum number of placeable objects in the 2d editor ? for example, i download this addon http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20427 which allow me to use arma 3 buildings in the 2d editor. how many buildings and/or other objects could i place ? is there a limit or can i place unlimited objects all over the terrain ?

Well you can place however many objects you want, techincally speaking, but realisticly, static objects don't use too much power overall, but I don't think there is a definable limit. It also depends on how they are all spawned in, either in the editor or via script.

Well you can place however many objects you want, techincally speaking, but realisticly, static objects don't use too much power overall, but I don't think there is a definable limit. It also depends on how they are all spawned in, either in the editor or via script.

does it make a difference if they are spawned via editor or script ? if yes, what difference ? FPS or in terms of max limit ?

im sure you know the group limit in arma 3 when u have too many units and you want to preview your mission, a window pop up with the message "Only 144 groups per side supported". such a window wont pop up with a message like "Only XXX objects are allowed" when i use for example the 2d editor and place alot of objects all around the map, right ?

I've never had to worry about object limit, partly because I usually keep it simple, and secondly because why even have that many objects. But what I was getting at with script vs. editor is that the script has to be setup properly so that the objects are continuously created for each new connected client (assuming MP mission) which brings FPS down tremendously after a few clients come in, and if they are spawned via editor that issue is of a lesser priority as every connected client would have to load those objects anyhow but they are "native" to the mission not "added" in via script.

And I don't know if a "X objects allowed" message will popup, because like I said, I don't think it is realistically attainable, and there isn't a need for that many objects in my opinion either.

Could you be more specific as to what your doing, that would help with the answering of this question, I mean are you just placing 1000's of soda cans around the map, making a city, what?

Edited by JShock

I've never had to worry about object limit, partly because I usually keep it simple, and secondly because why even have that many objects. But what I was getting at with script vs. editor is that the script has to be setup properly so that the objects are continuously created for each new connected client (assuming MP mission) which brings FPS down tremendously after a few clients come in, and if they are spawned via editor that issue is of a lesser priority as every connected client would have to load those objects anyhow but they are "native" to the mission not "added" in via script.

And I don't know if a "X objects allowed" message will popup, because like I said, I don't think it is realistically attainable, and there isn't a need for that many objects in my opinion either.

Could you be more specific as to what your doing, that would help with the answering of this question, I mean are you just placing 1000's of soda cans around the map, making a city, what?

ah ok, thanks.

i want to make a detailed city and around the city i want to make jungle there.

oh and my mission will be SP. i think there wont be FPS problems there.

ah ok, thanks.

i want to make a detailed city and around the city i want to make jungle there.

oh and my mission will be SP. i think there wont be FPS problems there.

Yeah SP will make life a bit easier, and you shouldn't have any issues there either, especially placing them via editor, I did some reading up (all info was coming from terrain makers) that the max object count when making a terrain (aka a map, i.e. Altis/Stratis) is 4,000,000 but I don't know if that applies to the object count of everything else that isn't terrain.

But you may as well just do it, and if there aren't any issues, then there you go, if there are, then you know a rough limit on objects :p or you did something wrong somewhere.

Edited by JShock

Yeah SP will make life a bit easier, and you shouldn't have any issues there either, especially placing them via editor, I did some reading up (all info was coming from terrain makers) that the max object count when making a terrain (aka a map, i.e. Altis/Stratis) is 4,000,000 but I don't know if that applies to the object count of everything else that isn't terrain.

But you may as well just do it, and if there aren't any issues, then there you go, if there are, then you know a rough limit on objects :p or you did something wrong somewhere.

the max object limit you are talking about is in terrain builder, its 5,000,000 there until terrain builder crash. i hope there isnt that limit in the 2d editor or via script.

thank you.

I just tested it, spawned about 400,000 cargo boxes in editor and the whole game froze up (and FPS went from 512, down to 2). You'll never hit the object limit in the editor if your being resonable with your object placement (and not going nuts with copy/paste like I did).

I just tested it, spawned about 400,000 cargo boxes in editor and the whole game froze up (and FPS went from 512, down to 2). You'll never hit the object limit in the editor if your being resonable with your object placement (and not going nuts with copy/paste like I did).

yeah same here. tried to hit the terrain builder limit but i got heavy lags the more objects i placed.

Idk, I think its like ~133. I got an error when editing Grand Theft Altis a while ago. Also one of my firing range missions got it. Everything is put down manually though. So, if you have a script to spawn stuff, it doesnt count im sure.

Idk, I think its like ~133. I got an error when editing Grand Theft Altis a while ago. Also one of my firing range missions got it. Everything is put down manually though. So, if you have a script to spawn stuff, it doesnt count im sure.

so script is the only way to put many objects like i want ?

No script isn't the only way to put down all your objects, I'm not too sure what Epic is getting at.

Lol, I know, you're thinking "wth, 133?" But thats the error I get putting down those in the editor. It could be units actually and not stuff under empty. Civ's are a killer lol. Just ignore my comment I suppose and put as many as you want lol.

Lol, I know, you're thinking "wth, 133?" But thats the error I get putting down those in the editor. It could be units actually and not stuff under empty. Civ's are a killer lol. Just ignore my comment I suppose and put as many as you want lol.

nah im not talking about units, just only about the objects under empty section. i know about the limitation of 144 units per group but the question was if this limit appear when placing objects from empty section in the editor. me and other tested it and there is no 144 limit but it starts to lag in the editor, so the only way i see is placing them via script.