Sign in to follow this  
PiZZADOX

Playsound Volume Amplifying

Hey guys,

I am trying to amplify sound within the engine for a playsound .ogg file, and discovered that repeating the playsound command will amplify the volume (This speaks to the arma engine's reading of sound files haha)

The technique I am using to amplify sound is this:

[object playing the sound, dynamic sound name] call CBA_fnc_globalSay3d;

This seems to essentially amplify the sound, as long as they are executed quickly.

The problem is, in MP the server will not perfectly synchronize the start of playsound, meaning that there will be a slight echo effect unless you are near to the sound source when it is played.

Does anyone have any experience with amplifying sound files and multiplayer synchronization issues?

Thanks in advance

Is there a reason that you are just not able to amplify the volume of the original audio file? (.ogg?)

Are there many files? If not then you can just find a program, free ones too that can easily do that, even video editors (if they allow you to export to audio files like Sony Vegas) should do the job.

I think you're good if you use Audacity too (which is free).

I'd never recommend spamming a sound unless really really needed.

edit: Perhaps check your description.ext under CfgSounds, you can modify the sound value there, though not sure if it will work in a 3D environment.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Is there a reason that you are just not able to amplify the volume of the original audio file? (.ogg?)

There is a maximum volume of a sound file, as well as a maximum volume of sounds played by the engine. You cannot just alter the file to be as loud as you want. Programs that emulate this, such as VLC, create a sound overdrive style amplification through playback past the file's maximum volume via your driver - arma's engine does not allow this natively.

edit: Perhaps check your description.ext under CfgSounds, you can modify the sound value there, though not sure if it will work in a 3D environment.

This is not volume, but volume over distance. It does not directly alter heard volume but rather extends the distance before the sound starts to fade.

I'd never recommend spamming a sound unless really really needed.

haha, of course! It's really bad practice, and its the reason I have a multiplayer sync issue in the first place... but I've explored alternatives are there just doesn't seem to be any. Amplifying the sound via multiple drive seems to be the only way to effectively increase the volume in comparison to other things in game (past the limitation of the file itself)