Sign in to follow this  
oxmox

Hungary plans new tax on Internet - ~0,50€ per GB traffic

Hungary plans new tax on Internet traffic, public calls for rally

Hungary plans to impose a new tax on Internet data transfers, a draft 2015 tax bill submitted to parliament late on Tuesday showed, in a move that could hit Internet and telecoms providers and their customers hard.

The draft tax code contains a provision for Internet providers to pay a tax of 150 forints (37 pence) per gigabyte of data traffic, though it would also let companies offset corporate income tax against the new levy.

However, fixed-line Internet traffic in Hungary reached 1.15 billion gigabytes in 2013 and mobile internet added 18 million gigabytes, which would generate revenue of 175 billion forints under the new tax according to consultancy firm eNet.

"The real losers of the Internet tax are not the Internet companies but their clients, users, and all Hungarians who would now access the services they have used much more expensively, or in an extreme case, not at all," the Association said.

"We think it is practical to introduce an upper limit in the same fashion and same magnitude that applied to voice-based telephony previously."

Under the current tax code private individuals' tax payments are maximised at a monthly 700 forints ($2.9) while companies cannot pay more than 5,000 forints a month.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/10/22/uk-hungary-internet-tax-idUKKCN0IB0RI20141022

Edited by oxmox

This is such bullshit....

The service providers will of course make their customers pay for that tax. And 0,50€ per GB is not exactly cheap....

Wow, that is too extrem! Hungary wants to get money out of nothing ?!

I saw that on Euronews, I hope it will not be the case and the government will comeback to reason.

First when i saw the title on reuters and the amount per GB traffic i did put the infos in the title, but could not delete it anymore. At the end of the article it is said and I did post it aswell, there will be an upper limit for consumer and companies. For consumer users its allegedly 700 forints (2.90$).

First when i saw the title on reuters and the amount per GB traffic i did put the infos in the title, but could not delete it anymore. At the end of the article it is said and I did post it aswell, there will be an upper limit for consumer and companies. For consumer users its allegedly 700 forints (2.90$).

Well that is the start, as soon as that tax is in place it won´t go away any more and the ammount you have to pay will rise after each election.

"This tax in its current form cannot be introduced,"

He also announced that he will try again next year

He also announced that he will try again next year

He'll probably get double the turnout on that bridge.