Sign in to follow this  
spanishsurfer

Theoretical Question: Is there a better game engine out there for ARMA 4?

We often read people’s complaints concerning the lack of multi-core support, GPU utilization, and other issues with the Virtuality 4 engine (ARMA 3 engine). What I would like to know from the community: Is there a better game engine out there that could do EVERYTHING that the current Virtuality 4 engine does but better. Think about how involved ARMA is regarding AI, view/object distance, bullet drop/penetration, map size, and customization support (custom mods, content, missions, etc). There’s a lot that the engine does, what do you think?

Plz avoid comments about licensing cost, time it would take the team to adjust to the new engine, etc.

**Disclaimer** In no way am I supporting the idea that BIS should find a new game engine, merely opening up the discussion to see if such an engine exists.

I have a better question. Is there even competition to Arma series? :)

Battlefield? Too 'arcadey', pvp focused, does not support modding (say goodbye to Project Reality). CoD? Deathmatch shooter with a short and 'on rails' campaign. Counter-Strike? Too unreal (jumping, no scope sniper shots, fast pace), MP focused. Red Orchestra? WWII and MP focused. WWII Online? WWII and MP centric, as old as OFP. Ghost Recon? The newer titles are arcade shooters with only a scent of tactics. Rainbow Six? See GR. America's Army? Old, annoying training procedure, mixture of arcade and realistic play. Ground Breach? Did not materialize. VBS, Cry Engine powered mil sim? Not accessible to general public.

The logical conclusion is that Arma does not have competition and it's doubtful that it will get some anytime soon. Only thing left is to pray and hope some team of modders or 'spare time' developers make a dedicated mil sim on the Outerra engine. ;)

I have a better question. Is there even competition to Arma series? :)

Battlefield? Too 'arcadey', pvp focused, does not support modding (say goodbye to Project Reality). CoD? Deathmatch shooter with a short and 'on rails' campaign. Counter-Strike? Too unreal (jumping, no scope sniper shots, fast pace), MP focused. Red Orchestra? WWII and MP focused. WWII Online? WWII and MP centric, as old as OFP. Ghost Recon? The newer titles are arcade shooters with only a scent of tactics. Rainbow Six? See GR. America's Army? Old, annoying training procedure, mixture of arcade and realistic play. Ground Breach? Did not materialize. VBS, Cry Engine powered mil sim? Not accessible to general public.

The logical conclusion is that Arma does not have competition and it's doubtful that it will get some anytime soon. Only thing left is to pray and hope some team of modders or 'spare time' developers make a dedicated mil sim on the Outerra engine. ;)

Did you accidentally post in a wrong thread? I don't see how that's relevant.

Agree with you - don't base it on games - rather do it on engines.

@bigpickle

Isn't the problem with cry engine very limited levels size?I read somewhere from star citizen development

"Chris roberts tenth for chairmen" video where he answers the questions and he mentions that cry engine

is not meant for big open spaces.

I consider my post relevant to the thread. BI obviously won't abandon the RV engine just because some posters on here think they should. :p

Whether another engine would be better at doing the things RV does is another matter. But you have to provide some solid reasoning as to why you think so. Saying things like 'better graphics and performance' won't be enough I'm afraid. :)

Theoretical Answer: No

This topic gets a new post and discussed to death over and over again each month...

There's no way to really know the answer to this question, BIS is never going to switch engines, and it's extremely unlikely that any other companies are going to try to make a game like Arma, so why even bother thinking about it?

Theoretical Answer: No

This topic gets a new post and discussed to death over and over again each month...

Well... not on a monthly basis, but here is its latest materialization:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165761-Arma-3-Engine-What-would-have-been-a-better-option-and-what-can-we-learn/page33

As you can see, the topic was eventually dropped, so if any of you have anything to add, please make it meaningful.

Terminating!