Sign in to follow this  
goaz

Arma 3 is too futuristic

And content has been added, the Neophron, Wipeout, FV-270, Kuma and Wildcat, Rahim rifle, all of these have been added post release. If that's not what you wanted then tough shit, they've done what they said they would. (I don't need to break out the actual list of content in the game do I?)

I bought ARMA III because I wanted a good game that would last more than two hours and I would enjoy, that's what I got.

Woah no need to be so edgy, kid.

They never said what content would've been added in the end, because if they did even more players would've been driven away.

This is why we end up not knowing about new content until it's two weeks away from release.

Woah no need to be so edgy, kid.

They never said what content would've been added in the end, because if they did even more players would've been driven away.

This is why we end up not knowing about new content until it's two weeks away from release.

Yes while there's massive gaps in the current faction line up what they actually planned to do was add cold-war content.

I want a Phase Plasma Rifle in the 40-watt range...

May 22 2011.

That's when this post was originally made. It can be assumed that the setting, factions, and "near future" scenario had all been decided. Personally, I like the change of pace. And guess what? I find it equally as immersive as playing Skyrim. I can get fully immersed into a game because my immersion is not dependent on how 'modern' the vehicles and weapons are. I swear, saying a game isn't immersive, or you can't milsim with "fictional" (not really all that fictional) content, is like trying to say you think someones sandwich isn't as sandwichy because they used rye instead of sourdough. I get that some people just don't care about any type of near-future setting. And that's fine, but to blame a game's vanilla content on the entire reason you don't like it, especially when Arma 3 makes installing mods much easier than most other openly modifiable games, seems a bit ridiculous. Grab some mods, and make a replacement config. If you like it, ask the devs of the mods if you can release it. Hell, I myself use the CSAT modification project when I play the campaign. Keep in mind, I'm a progressive technophile. I'm sorry that a lot of you guys are disappointed, but these threads are getting really old...

The game in my opinion need to be totally changed by switching back to actual/present era, without this there cannot be a milsim nor bohemia interactive can pretend to call this game a "the best military simulator available" , this is not a simulator at all, it's just a concept/fantasy game that has nothing to do at all with the previous great games such as OFP and ARMA2. Not to mention the choice of the terrain and of the faction: it's not going to happen at all in the next 500 years to have IRANIAN army on an European island, it's just ridiculous.
Bohemia has openly said that Arma 3 is not a simulator. ;)
Just a question for you as I couldn't find any info about it but it has certainly been widely discussed over the time: Why BI changed their path with this futuristic/conecpt art game rather than continue with the "tradition"? Was it a matter of royalties regarding the usage of present weaponary or what else? Thanks in advance.
What Maio is referring to comes from this article:
After Operation Arrowhead, Bohemia decided to do something quite different, something science fiction, combining the talents of the acquired Altar Games studio in Brno (UFO trilogy) and Arma. "Fighting aliens, that was the concept," he says. "It was not a direct sequel originally but we wanted to experiment a bit - to crossover between the two genres we had in the company."

That's when Å panel picked the Greek island of Lemnos for the setting, albeit for something called Arma Futura rather than Arma 3. The design apparently changed towards something more RPG but still science-fiction and apocalyptic, rather than fighting aliens in real-time strategy battles on smaller islands. It could be a one-man show on a big chunk of land, the team decided. But as time wound on, it became less and less science-fiction and more and more Arma 3.

Lemnos/Limnos was later renamed Altis in-game.
With China's modernizing military, and tensions on the rise in the Pacific, I think it would have been more realistically plausible than Bug-helmeted Iranians fighting a half-American half-Isreali frankenstein NATO on a vacationer's dream island run by genocidal Greeks. Also, even though Altis is new, an Asian terrain would have been as well, and would have felt much less silly than the sunny, white-sanded beaches of Altis. Not to mention all the independent factions you could throw in there (Taiwan, Japan, the Korea's, Russia, ect) it would have been a scenario makers dream.
Consider though that Altis and Stratis were picked for Futura, aka "not supposed to be an Arma game but became one"... but I guess BI chose to reuse them for Arma 3 rather than make new terrains. Same probably goes for the helmets. ;)

Not gonna lie though, China as OPFOR would have been amazing, and the sheer amount of hype that I had for seeing Asian operators debarking from a bench-equipped Taru...

After all the complaints you'd think maybe BI learned its lesson, instead they come up with more concept vehicles. Blah.
More likely that BI learned a very different lesson than you'd intended. Edited by Chortles

I would have liked BI, instead of doing Iran vs NATO in 20 years, to instead have done the U.S. vs China in about 10 years.

With China's modernizing military, and tensions on the rise in the Pacific, I think it would have been more realistically plausible than Bug-helmeted Iranians fighting a half-American half-Isreali frankenstein NATO on a vacationer's dream island run by genocidal Greeks. Also, even though Altis is new, an Asian terrain would have been as well, and would have felt much less silly than the sunny, white-sanded beaches of Altis. Not to mention all the independent factions you could throw in there (Taiwan, Japan, the Korea's, Russia, ect) it would have been a scenario makers dream.

exactly my thoughts. 100%

couldn't care less if stuff is futuristic. what bothers me more is that everything feels clean and staged. almost like a american military B or C movie that was shot in nevada and supposed to take place in afghanistan :D.

a desperate semi apocalyptic future setting would've been great. dark and gritty. a feeling of war. instead super clean empty houses and a tourist location. looks like an architectural presentation most of the time and if you place the "population" by hand in the editor (since it's nowhere to be found in the campaign) you get only dudes with a questionable sense of fashion. the future setting is the least of arma 3's problems immersion wise. if at all.

also this:

As far as the future setting is concerned it would have worked for me if it was functional ie bug helmets with full HUD etc but all that futurism just seems cosmetic only.

everything feels almost low tech eventhough visually it's all super clean and new.

Give me XCOM squads i want gimme gimme

Actually if we're lucky, we'll see a (new or varsuk) railgun tank in the expansion or something. We can dream. :)

Edited by Nightmare515

Let's just piss off most of the hardcore loyal customers so some casual can have its precious altis life game mode for a couple weeks worth of gaming! :::::DDDDDDDDD

Cute.

The "customers" don't just consist of hardcore players. And not everyone plays A3 for the Life modes either.

Then when most of the modders will be driven away you'll end up having a very powerful engine and no content to use it with.

Modders are being driven away by things like the terribad Workshop and other things like a somewhat poor DLC model, bugs inherited from A2, etc. Not the settings of the game. Don't try to inflate things out of proportion.

well we're debating when to come to A3 al lthe time in unsung and rangemaster mods teams in A2. we have a lot of talent in there, and then there's PRACS mod, and others. none of us want to play futuristic stuff, but converting our stuff to A3 is a massive chore because BIS keep breaking the engine, like literally every week. so until it becomes stable for a few months, we won't be migrating. new clans keep joining us for games in the old fashioned world... as they are tired of the A3 content and want this gritty stuff you speak of.

There you have it, the voice of the truth.

Customers are not just the hardcore players or people loyal to the series, but most of the modding content and knowledge comes from there (which sounds funny and irrelevant until you start doing mods yourself...).

More likely that BI learned a very different lesson than you'd intended.

And what would that be? :confused:

For whoever thinks that MilSim ecuals Real life military stuf.... your wrong

Military simulation in wikipedia clearly says:

Military simulations, also known informally as war games, are simulations in which theories of warfare can be tested and refined without the need for actual hostilities. Many professional analysts object to the term wargames as this is generally taken to be referring to the civilian hobby, thus the preference for the term simulation.

Simulations exist in many different forms, with varying degrees of realism. In recent times, the scope of simulations has widened to include not only military but also political and social factors, which are seen as inextricably entwined in a realistic warfare model.

Whilst many governments make use of simulation, both individually and collaboratively, little is known about it outside professional circles. Yet modelling is often the means by which governments test and refine their military and political policies. Military simulations are seen as a useful way to develop tactical, strategical and doctrinal solutions, but critics argue that the conclusions drawn from such models are inherently flawed, due to the approximate nature of the models used.

Oh btw BIS please implement

political

Hello!

It is with great joy that we announce that the "Arma 3 is to futuristic" thread is now part of the Maio&Naze Inc. family. Despite being a new player on the controversial-flamable thread market, "Arma 3 is to futuristic" manged to impose itself almost instantly by providing a solid and safe platform for dynamic, user generated cometary.

CEO of Maio&Naze Inc. had this to say: "We here at Maio&Naze have a soft spot for threads dealing with intangible discussion topics with a high potential of degrading into a repetitive mess of "holier than though" arguments and cloaked insults put forth by opinionated parties. Acquiring the thread was a no brainier and I eagerly look forth to the stories we will make together."

To insure that "Arma 3 is to futuristic" reaches its full potential, we have developed an organic, user oriented action plan, which we will now share with you:

1. Lock the thread.

2. There is no life after the lock :cylon:

:padlock: