Sign in to follow this  
lazerath

Auto Report in Game Settings - What does it do? It doesn't do anything that I can see

Hi,

I am being driven crazy by the AI in Single player missions and campaign reporting contact after contact. I cannot seem to make them shut up or stop. I have disabled the Auto-report setting in the game difficulty but it hasn't changed anything.

Is this the wrong setting or am I simply under the wrong impression of what disabling and enabling Auto-Report actually does?

I do not want to disable it for the enemy chatter either, just for the AI in my squad. I also use voice software (VAC) to play the game (makes controlling the AI way better) but the AI in a battle or when getting ready to engage in a battle will not stop reporting contacts, reporting they have a target, reporting they just stubbed their damn toe and that they run their mouths like a freaking locomotive...... GRRRRRR.......

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a menu option to deal with this or some other means? And please don't tell me I have to modify missions and the campaign to make them stop either... I don't have a clue how to do that :(

There is a mod that turns of blufor radio chatter. However your difficulty setting option only turns off the auto-report in your player-character (which just means you have to push a button now). As far as I know, all mods dealing with this either turn off radio chatter altogether or just one side's radio chatter. Here's the one that just turns off blufor: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27001

Thank you VERY much! That is sooo awesome and I appreciate your help a lot! Thank you for not saying, " Oh there are lots of mods and scripts out there you just have to look for them" like others have said when I've asked for help after not finding what I am looking for!

I ended up finding another mod (from the games Alpha stage) but it turns off radio chatter for everyone!

By chance do you know of a mod that makes the AI listen to your player commands better? I am suffering from AI being stuck in either stealth or danger mode and not able to switch them to a different mode (Safe or Aware). This happens regularly in game for me and its very frustrating. They will even fire at enemies when they've been told to holdfire. Another issue I have come across on a regular basis is this.

1. Player sets AI to Aware, Danger or Stealth mode.

2. Then sets AI to Hold Fire.

3. Then selects a specific or multiple AI (Doesn't matter which as it happens for both single and multiple AI selections).

4. Selects a target for specific or multiple AI. (AI automatically fires at this point if its an AT or AA soldier and the target is a Vehicle or Aircraft/Chopper) Even though it should STILL be in Hold Fire mode.

5. Tell specific or Multiple AI to FIRE (Menu 3, Option 3 = Fire) which is SUPPOSED to make the AI only fire at their specific target until it is dead, then go back into HOLD FIRE mode.

6. However, this does not happen. The AI will shoot at its target, once target is down it will start shooting at anything it deems as an Enemy (even if they are 400-500 meters away). Again this is NOT supposed to happen, once the target is dead the AI is supposed to go back to HOLD FIRE mode.

I am looking for a MOD that fixes this issue and will work with then Single Player campaign and Single Player missions. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

That's a well known issue with the AI, a lot of people including myself want it changed. Basically it's the AIs "auto-danger", makes sense so when they get shot at they go into combat mode and start covering each other and being a little less stupid, as far as I can tell trying to set them to aware in this state will make them go to aware, but will instantly kick back to danger mode, therefore until they deem the area to be clear they'll remain in danger.

I've not spotted the hold fire bug before but I treat AI like I'm a babysitter, it's easiest just to let the fuckers get on with it then trying to let them shoot in moderation. :D

Oh, so its a known issue...

Then I ask...

Why the Hell hasn't it been fixed...

Here I will repost a slightly more detailed version of my issues I just posted in a thread talking about the AI..

Oh, and the reason why I have such an issue with this is not that I am trying to get them to shoot in moderation but there are missions I play and a PLAY STYLE I really enjoy and that is sneaking, ambushing and sniping. The current set up that BI has implemented is wrecking that 100% for me.. Here is a slightly more detailed version of the issues.. if you care to read it..

PS: Fair Warning its fairly long winded :( LoL.

Single Player Game: Campaign, Showcases (that you are in command of AI) and Scenarios (Downloaded Single Player Missions where you command AI in your squad).

Issues I am having: AI FAIL to listen to your player commands. I am suffering from AI being stuck in either stealth or danger mode and not able to switch them to a different mode (Safe or Aware). This happens regularly in game for me and its very frustrating. They will even fire at enemies when they've been told to Hold-Fire. Examples and Issues Below.

Mission Starts: You are in command of your AI. At this point I have no problems controlling the AI. I am able to give orders/commands and they seem to follow them immediately or fairly quickly. Change status from Safe -> Danger -> Stealth -> Aware -> Safe again and the AI follows the commands with no problems. However, once I come in to contact or spot the Enemy AI or my Squad AI Spot/Engage the Enemy AI the problems start to arise and in a very big way.

Player notices Enemy AI or my AI Squad notices them first (Doesn't matter which).

1. Player sets AI from Aware or Safe too -> Danger or Stealth mode.

After changing the players Squad AI to either of these modes (Danger or Stealth), before or after enemy AI have been spotted or engaged this nasty issue will start to happen (Its not always immediate and sometimes does not happen until a few minutes into engaging or spotting the enemy).

Issue: Player Squad AI stay in Danger or Stealth mode and will NOT change to Aware or Safe/Relax mode even after all the enemy are dead. The longest I have seen the AI stay this way is for over an hour in game (before I finally gave up and restarted) even after I have moved several in-game kilometers from where any enemy AI could possibly be. This is frustrating because moving with the AI fast while they are stuck in this mode is impossible unless you have a vehicle to put them in. Also, they continually call out movements and cover each other while moving. Ever tried to move several kilometers on foot in the game while your squad is slowly moving from cover to cover calling out their movements etc.? Impossible to finish a mission that is on a short time limit when your squad is doing this crap. Suxors big time!

This issue needs to be addressed. I do not play much multiplayer (haven't in over a year now) and so AI in single player games is important. This issue literally makes the game un-playable at times (for Single Player missions with AI).

I have tried everything to get them to stop and go back to safe or aware mode. No-Target, Disengage, Stop and move commands to specific spots, Adjusting stances from prone, crouch and stand-up. Issuing different orders and still nothing seems to work. Sometimes if I am lucky after 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 minutes the AI will finally go back to Safe or Aware mode but it does not always happen. :(

Next Issue: AI will randomly start firing at Enemy AI/Vehicles/Objects when they are under the HOLD FIRE command.

1. Player notices Enemy AI or Player Squad AI notice Enemy AI

2. Player then sets AI to Hold Fire.

3. At this point Player Squad AI members (any of them) can and will still fire at Enemy AI even if the Enemy AI are hundreds of meters away and have NOT detected the Player or his Squad of AI.

Another Issue that happens in this scenario whether the above happens or not.

4. The player then selects a specific or multiple Squad AI members in his group (Doesn't matter which as it happens for both single and multiple AI selections).

5. Player selects a target for specific or multiple Squad AI members.

6. If the selected Player Squad AI members are AT or AA soldiers who have been set to target an Enemy Vehicle, Aircraft or Object the will automatically fire at this point. Even though the Player AI Squad members STILL have the HOLD FIRE order.

7. If the select Player Squad AI members are targeting Enemy AI Infantry they will still follow their HOLD FIRE Order (Most of the time).

8. Player then orders specific or Multiple Squad AI members to FIRE (Menu 3, Option 3 = Fire) which is SUPPOSED to make the AI only fire at their specific target until it is dead, then go back into HOLD FIRE mode.

9. However, this does not happen. The AI will shoot at its target, once the target is down it will start shooting at anything it deems as an Enemy (even if they are 400-500 meters away and have NOT noticed/realized one of their fellow Enemy AI have been killed). Again this is NOT supposed to happen, once the target is dead the Player Squad AI member(s) are supposed to go back to HOLD FIRE mode.