Sign in to follow this  
janus0104

Modding DLC Content: Allowed?

Hey guys, hope this finds an answer somehow.

Are we allowed to make mods based on DLC content? Say a BLUFOR version of the Taru that is part of the Heli DLC with a different texture.

If it were up to me, I'd say as long as the DLC usage restriction on those helos remains intact, should be fine, but it's not up to me, so I'd like some clarification.

Provided it can be done, of course. Some stuff won't be possible with the .ebo's without reverse engineering, which I'm not trying to advocate here, but other stuff like a CfgVehicle that inherits the helo's class yet uses a different texture really only takes a solid guess on texture sizes and lots of free time to basically colorcode the UV map by hand.

Some word on this would be great.

The thing is, you'd have to unbinarize the models to do anything besides reskin and reconfigure, and BI a.s. probably won't release the unbinarized models until ArmA 4.

In a mission you can use setObjectTexture to reskin something, however the DLC files are kept in .ebo files rather than .pbo, and these aren't openable so you simply won't be able to.

EDIT: Re-read your post fully and realised you already know about that.

Edited by Jona33

Aye, I do :)

I'm aware anything besides reskinning and reconfiguring would require unbinarized models.

The question is, if all you want to do is reskinning and reconfiguring, is that okay to do? Say, a Taru with faction = "BLU_F"; and different textures?

As long as the reference to the DLC is config-based, and thus inherited by anything inheriting the taru's class, it should theoretically have the same DLC content lock.

The problem is, if you can't open the EBO where the texture is stored, you can't retexture it.

Does no one read the original post? It's not that difficult, the taru has like 6 textures, 4 of them square (1024x1024 or multiple of) 2 of them wide (1024x512 or multiple of).

Next step is to lay a UV mapping pattern over it, say a colorcoded checkerboard. Go ingame, compare colorcoded texture part to original, mark where things are, etc. Rinse and repeat.