Sign in to follow this  
Polymath820

Peoples opinion on an advanced Tactical Headsup display?

What I have been looking around for is peoples opinion on creating an advanced heads-up display that is purposeful, what do I mean by purposeful?

It would have.

1. FFID system (All friendly units only)

2. Digital Zoom Magnification (2x - 4x)

3. Thermal visor

4. Situational awareness grid, shown below the unit 180* half circle shape

5. GPS coordinate broadcast to all units

6. Tactical Points

7. Altitude,Compass baring.

Other additional things could be added.

I think you will likely receive varied opinions. Many will think it a good idea, many will claim it a cheat mode.

A HUD like this could be great fun and you could add loads more to it, even make it have role specific functions, such as showing OSD positions for wounded or downed casualties if you are a medic, or information such as speed and bearing of spotted vehicles for team leaders or AT riflemen.

On the other hand you will have folk who thing this is possibly unrealistic, too easy to play with, or that it replaces too many other items and their functions.

And of course those people don't have to use it :)

I would perhaps suggest giving it a finit power source, and require batteries similar to a laser deg. Some of the features or modes could use more power, like thermal visor or zooming.

The idea itself is nice but I honestly doubt that somebody will use it on a regular basis (except cheaters maybe). Gameplay should provide challenge and mod such as this would IMO destroy last bits of intresting gameplay in already arcadish Arma 3.

The idea itself is nice but I honestly doubt that somebody will use it on a regular basis (except cheaters maybe). Gameplay should provide challenge and mod such as this would IMO destroy last bits of intresting gameplay in already arcadish Arma 3.

Simple fix. Make it item based and optional ( the OPFOR helmet for example) then it would be up to whomever is in charge to regulate use. It's also a mod, so it won't have a direct impact on your game play unless you are playing on a server that hosts it.

I would drop the thermal visor option and replace it with NV with a narrower vision cone.

I think the answer is this: If YOU want to create it then do it.

Imho I think that's really all to it.

Modding is all about creation and noone should hinder anyone to create anything. So when you have done it for yourself share it, it can be other players just as you that would like to have it. Don't pay attention to the ones that do not have interest in it or think it's a bad idea. They can decide to not download it.

The mission BECTI Zerty version already has a Tactical HUD developed and working. We use it on our server and it works very well. It only works if the team has the TACT HUD upgrade, is wearing tactical glasses, and turns it on by pushing WINDOWS+SHIFT. When turned on the glasses are connected to your teams "Information Network" which is a whole other system Zerty created. When connected to the team network, you can see an enemy target as an icon via 1st person mode. The enemy contacts are reported into the network by friendly players or AI, which is instantly shared with any friendly players connected to the network. So in short, you get a heads up display of known enemy positions and friendly units. It's actually very cool, check it out sometime.

What I have been looking around for is peoples opinion on creating an advanced heads-up display that is purposeful, what do I mean by purposeful?

It would have.

1. FFID system (All friendly units only)

2. Digital Zoom Magnification (2x - 4x)

3. Thermal visor

4. Situational awareness grid, shown below the unit 180* half circle shape

5. GPS coordinate broadcast to all units

6. Tactical Points

7. Altitude,Compass baring.

Other additional things could be added.

Since Arma 3 is futuristic game, iam all for it. But only under condtions:

1.It would be hedgear item and you will have to wear it on your head in order to use it.

2.It will show on your character head, so other players will see it.

3.It will have visible borders from first person wiev and it will not work in third person.

4.It will require battery

5.no thermo or NV unless the device is buig bulky glasses.

Thermal visor would already be accomplished by your NODs. I know there's at least one piece of equipment (the ENVG) that does a hybrid NV/thermal vision thing in real life, so you might be able to script that into the existing NODs.

Everything else would look good for the future. All of this is trying to be implemented in real life. By 2035 we'd most definitely have it in. Think of how technology changed from 1990-2010 and then extrapolate that from the 2010s to the2030s (and probably tack a few exponents onto thay ) and we're probably going to have a lot more than this.

I know they're also working on an AI system called CT2WS.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_Technology_Threat_Warning_System

I think it'd be cool to implement some aspects of that, depending on what's actually possible with scripting.

Maybe implementation of a miniaturized Boomerang system to detect and roughly locate shooters via sound, like what we have right now on vehicles.

Also a link in with another DARPA program called CTS tat wants to make or get into networks of security cameras for various reasons. A script could be made to have window seeing through cameras, helmet cams, drones, or other camera carrying equipment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Zones_That_See

Depending on how OP this is, it looks like the future.