Sign in to follow this  
alarm9k

Steering with the mouse is broken in the latest update

Before the latest patch to turn left in the ground vehicle I had to:

• move the mouse left to turn the steering wheel left
  • move the mouse right to return the wheels to the neutral position when the turn is complete

Now I have to constantly move the mouse left to keep the wheels turned left. The same moment I stop moving the mouse, the wheels return to the initial position.

Is it a bug or intended behaviour? And if the latter then what on Earth was the reason to do that?

If I remember correctly, there's two different keybindings for turning; Left/Right and More left/More right.

The Left/Right is what you seem to have now, meaning that as soon as you stop moving the mouse, the wheels return to center. (I think this is the much easier and accurate method for mouse control)

The More left/More right means that you had to move the mouse back to center to go straight.

I haven't checked if the latest update removed the More L/R commands or just changed them. I had my mouse bound just to left/right, and I haven't noticed anything different.

What does your control setup say?

Edited by Greenfist

Before the latest patch to turn left in the ground vehicle I had to:

• move the mouse left to turn the steering wheel left
  • move the mouse right to return the wheels to the neutral position when the turn is complete

Now I have to constantly move the mouse left to keep the wheels turned left. The same moment I stop moving the mouse, the wheels return to the initial position.

Is it a bug or intended behaviour? And if the latter then what on Earth was the reason to do that?

I hope its a bug, The mouse steering now centers much faster and is WORSE than using WASD to turn. By default mouse steering is on car more left/right and was brilliant before the last update. Now if you want to turn a corner you will need a 30cm wide mouse mat.

Yeah, the more left/right controls have changed completely. The log doesn't mention it at all, but it seems very intentional change. I wonder why, though? If you didn't like the More L/R way, you were able to bind the mouse to just left/right, which worked almost just like it does now.

Wait. People actually use the mouse to steer land vehicles?!? I mean to each his own, of course, but I always found the mouse controls to be completely useless. Double-alt is the first thing I do when getting into a vehicle. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

Wait. People actually use the mouse to steer land vehicles?!? I mean to each his own, of course, but I always found the mouse controls to be completely useless. Double-alt is the first thing I do when getting into a vehicle. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

You are. It's very easy to control vehicles with the mouse but you have to rebind your mouse buttons, cause the default mous buttons bindings are awful.

I did that too, but after I noticed how much smoother you can steer with the mouse, I never really used the keyboard for more than just breaking and speeding. TrackIR might be of help of course. Without that it might become a bit more difficult.

btw. I do not find the steering to have become worse with the last updates. I use left/right for my mouse instead of more left/more right (which I don't have assigned at all). Steering has always been fine for me.

Wait. People actually use the mouse to steer land vehicles?!?

Mouse is analog and by definition is more smooth than jerking the vehicle left and right with key presses. It lets (well, it did before the update) to steer just like in real life.

Same issue here and it definitely happend with the latest update. Much harder to steer using the mouse.

/KC

Just activate "Vehicle Freelook" or something in the options ;o)

Just activate "Vehicle Freelook" or something in the options ;o)

OK I'll have to check it out. I guess the issue I always had was I never got the hang of being able to freelook while using the mouse for steering. I'll give it a shot next time I'm playing. Maybe you guys opened my eyes to whole new and better way to control vehicles. We shall see.

Anyone found a fix for this yet? I really miss the old way of mouse steering; it was more precise and I could use mouse for fine adjustments and the keyboard for sharp turns :(

I'd just like to add my voice to this.

BIS you've mucked it up!:mad:

Having played this series since OFP, I'm now a bit tired of shooting things (and being shot at).

I just like to drive around in my little addon, occasionally getting out to admire the scenery

(and my handiwork) and take tea with the natives.

With this 'tweak' to the mouse controls driving is a jerky, arm swinging mess - I don't like it:(

If one of you guys would like to report it, because:

a) I'm too stupid to work out how to do that.

b) I'm British and it's not in our nature to complain.

I could then vote it up! Thanks

I don't think I will get back to Arma any soon, so let someone else create a bug report. Got very tired of these little annoyances the game introduces with almost every update and the amount of dirty hacks you have to invent to script something decent. I am afraid of getting used to the terrible coding style that Arma is trying to impose on me.

Gone to play chess! The game doesn't receive many updates, but it doesn't have regressions either :D

Gone to play chess! The game doesn't receive many updates, but it doesn't have regressions either :D

Classic! Still, sorry to see you go, there's not enough Russian residents/natives on these forums as it is.

Look at it this way: When BIS do something you don't like and you think of something to counter their every move

then it IS just like a game of chess!

So does changing it to "more left/right" fix it or is that no longer an option?

I've tried all the options and none of them suits me...

I've re-installed Arma2 and OA recently; I'm so tired of the "one step forward, two steps backward" routine going on in Arma3, I am this close to go back to a game that is finished/stable-ish.

If you ever wanted to demonstrate to someone the importance of regression testing, then Arma is a perfect example. :D