lordprimate

Dear Mod Makers, Sign your Mods.. Its easy....

Ok I keep running into this question in other's mods threads.

" Can you please sign your mod?"

and it gets a response like this,

" I don't know how" or " I don't have the time"

I have just recently figured out how to sign mods with the new tools.. and its TOO EASY.. If i ever hear anyone say they cant do it because of lack of time I am going to cry inside and blast the thread with the following post. its simply TOO FREAKING EASY TO SIGN A MOD TO EVER SAY I DON'T HAVE THE TIME......

Here it goes... The following steps everyone that builds mods should already know but im putting it here for others as well.... Again this should already be done by most mod makers..

1) Download the ARMA 3 Tools from steam!!!

2) Launch Arma 3 Tools for the first time.. (If you don't already have it)

3) Create and mount your P: drive... Its easy the Tools pretty much do it for you!!!!

4) Open Arma 3 tools.

5) Open "Addon Builder"

6) The first box in the Addon Builder is the File Path to the folder being processed into .pbo. Look for and select the file.

7) Second box is the Path where the output .pbo will be placed. I made a folder specifically for this on my desktop called "Addon Building"

8) There are Three check boxes "Clear Temp Folder" is the ONLY ONE that should be checked.. The ONLY ONE.... Leave "Create Signatures" and "Binarize" Unchecked!!

9) Click Pack, after it packs the file it should pop up another box that says "Build Successful"... Boom you have your Mod.pbo.

That takes about 5-25 minutes (depending on download speed) if you haven't done it yet...

The following steps are for making your "Private Key" to create these signatures.

1) Open up ARMA 3 Tools

2) Open up DSSignFile

3) Click DSCreateKey

4) Input the name for your key (obviously not the same as someone else's)

5) Click CreateKey

6) You now have your Private Key to Sign mods with... NEVER SHARE OR DISTRIBUTE THIS PRIVATE KEY.... They are kept in your DSSignFile Folder inside the ARMA 3 tools directory.

7) The key you share is named," your_chosen_name.bikey" (THE PRIVATE ONE YOU NEVER SHARE IS CALLED, "your_chosen_name.biprivatekey" ) Again Never Share the Private one!!

The following steps are for signing the mod you just created above...

1) Open Arma 3 Tools

2) Open DSSignFile, this opens a second pop up. select DSSignfile again.

3) The first box in DSSignFile is the path to the .pbo you wish to sign. Browse to your newly created .pbo and select it.

4) The second box it the path to your Key. The key is kept in the DSSignFile folder with in the ARMA 3 Tools Directory. Created earlier..

5) With those two files selected in the appropriate boxes, click "Sign File" button.

6) The newly created .pbo from above is now properly signed... Its That easy...

All in all it takes about 10-15 minutes Less then that if you have already installed ARMA 3 tools. if you haven't competed any of the prerequisites, IE installing ARMA 3 tools, creating P:drive.. etc... After all that is done.. Signing mods is CAKE.... Mod makers have NO Excuses :p.... NON...

On that note if you DO NOT have any interest in signing your mods, Ill do it for you... It takes me Seconds to do, its not a problem... I sign and re sign GL5 for testing on my server all the time. The most time consuming part is actually uploading the new files to the server.

Edited by Lordprimate
  • Like 11

Updated first post with a really quick video... Lots of BOOMs.

Edited by Lordprimate

As usual a common sense topic, can't + this enough... After doing it it's been easier on everybody...

Why sign mods? What is the advantage?

It makes it easier for server administrators to allow players to connect using your mod and making sure it's a legit version.

An example would be a client-side mod like JSRS or VTS Weapon Resting. If you try to connect to a server that hasn't whitelisted the .bisign keys for those mods, you get rejected.

So, the advantage is that more people get to have fun on servers that allow your mod which may in turn help boost it's popularity :cool:

Or just use pboProject and set it up properly.

Whenever you pack your addons, it automatically signs them.

Very easy....

• Like 1

It makes it easier for server administrators to allow players to connect using your mod and making sure it's a legit version.

An example would be a client-side mod like JSRS or VTS Weapon Resting. If you try to connect to a server that hasn't whitelisted the .bisign keys for those mods, you get rejected.

So, the advantage is that more people get to have fun on servers that allow your mod which may in turn help boost it's popularity :cool:

More detailed: Administrators can set up their server to allow only clients with mods which are signed and allowed. This way they (the clients) can't use their own mods/hacks.

Edited by SnowSky
  • Like 1

It's a check to see that an addon hasn't been tampered with. If you open up, edit, and then use an addon it will not be accepted by the key and the cheater will not be accepted on the server.

EDIT: Followed your instructions and generated my own keys :) - thank you - excellent guide !

Edited by wvorster

Leave "Create Signatures" and "Binarize" Unchecked!!

Is there a reason we shouldn't be binarizing our mods?

Is there a reason we shouldn't be binarizing our mods?

During OP´s trial & error session to sign already released mods he might have run into the problem where already binarized files cannot be binarized again, hence binpbo throwing an error, and him thinking it had to be like this for everybody.

Other than that, no.

Yes he should change that statement as addons should be binarized.

comes from the fact that he has modified (minimal) only others work, lol

comes from the fact that he has modified (minimal) only others work, lol

Yeah, that makes sense.

Not to mention if you don't binarize your addon then sometimes (depending on the complexity) then Arma will be throwing fits, nevermind binpbo. Imagine running an addon and then BAM, error boxes of strings constantly.

Or just use pboProject and set it up properly.

Whenever you pack your addons, it automatically signs them.

Very easy....

hello ! this! just bump this till it hurts.

ALSO, when you sign your mods....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, change the filename of the BIKEY. If I put your BIKEY in my server key folder and I have to replace the old one because you used the same name, it locks out every player with the older version of your mod. Bad for buisiness from a server's perspective.

• Like 1

But. With keys and signatures I would support a certain system.

- I prefer as open code as possible.

- I do not like Battleye to decide (I mean, who allows them, or maybe it is just one programmer) about in fact destroying a games license?

On 10/23/2016 at 7:16 AM, tortuosit said:

- I do not like Battleye to decide (I mean, who allows them, or maybe it is just one programmer) about in fact destroying a games license?

There can be security in protecting the integrity of a mod with signed keys while still having it be open source, plenty of mods have proven this. (ACE, CUP, etc)

On 10/23/2016 at 1:16 PM, tortuosit said:

If you don't sign it:

- servers not checking for keys will allow your mod

- servers checking and accepting keys will block your mod

- servers checking and not accepting keys will block your mod

If you do sign it:

- servers checking and accepting your key will allow your mod

- servers checking and not accepting your key will block your mod

Try again.

• Like 3

@lordprimate thanks for your tutorial!

I Wanted to make your tutorial more distinct and standout for those new to this.

LordPrimate's Tutorial for signing your mod

How to Pbo your mod

1. Download the ARMA 3 Tools from steam!!!
  2. Launch Arma 3 Tools for the first time.. (If you don't already have it)
  3. Create and mount your P: drive... Its easy the Tools pretty much do it for you!!!!
  4. Open Arma 3 tools.
  5. Open "Addon Builder"
  6. The first box in the Addon Builder is the File Path to the folder being processed into .pbo. Look for and select the file.
  7. Second box is the Path where the output .pbo will be placed. I made a folder specifically for this on my desktop called "Addon Building"
  8. There are Three check boxes "Clear Temp Folder" is the ONLY ONE that should be checked.. The ONLY ONE.... Leave "Create Signatures" and "Binarize" Unchecked!!
  9. Click Pack, after it packs the file it should pop up another box that says "Build Successful"... Boom you have your Mod.pbo.

How to make a Bikey

The following steps are for making your "Private Key" to create these signatures.

1. Open up ARMA 3 Tools
  2. Open up DSSignFile
  3. Click DSCreateKey
  4. Input the name for your key (obviously not the same as someone else's)
  5. Click CreateKey
  6. You now have your Private Key to Sign mods with... NEVER SHARE OR DISTRIBUTE THIS PRIVATE KEY.... They are kept in your DSSignFile Folder inside the ARMA 3 tools directory.
  7. The key you share is named," your_chosen_name.bikey" (THE PRIVATE ONE YOU NEVER SHARE IS CALLED, "your_chosen_name.biprivatekey" ) Again Never Share the Private one!!

How to create bisign Signatures

The following steps are for signing the mod you just created above.

1. Open Arma 3 Tools
  2. Open DSSignFile, this opens a second pop up. select DSSignfile again.
  3. The first box in DSSignFile is the path to the .pbo you wish to sign. Browse to your newly created .pbo and select it.
  4. The second box it the path to your Key. The key is kept in the DSSignFile folder with in the ARMA 3 Tools Directory. Created earlier..
  5. With those two files selected in the appropriate boxes, click "Sign File" button.
  6. The newly created .pbo from above is now properly signed

=====================

Questions & Answers

Question One (Signing)  - Why sign mods? What is the advantage?

• Answer 1/ Purpose

So, the advantage is that more people get to have fun on servers that allow your mod which may in turn help boost it's popularity.

• Answer 2 / Administrators

It also allows administrators can set up their server to allow only clients with mods which are signed and allowed.

This way they (the clients) can't use their own mods/hacks.

• Answer 3 / Prevents cheaters

It's a check to see that an addon hasn't been tampered with. If you open up, edit, and then use an addon it will not be accepted by the key

and the cheater will not be accepted on the server.

• Answer 4 / Advice

ALSO, when you sign your mods....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, change the filename of the BIKEY. If I put your BIKEY in my server key folder

and I have to replace the old one because you used the same name, it locks out every player with the older version of your mod.

• Answer 5 / Reasons
On 2/20/2017 at 9:04 AM, yourstruly said:

If you don't sign it:

- servers checking and accepting keys will block your mod

- servers checking and not accepting keys will block your mod

If you do sign it:

- servers checking and accepting your key will allow your mod

- servers checking and not accepting your key will block your mod

===============================

Question Two (Binerizing) -  Is there a reason we shouldn't be binarizing our mods?

• Answer 1

During OP´s trial & error session to sign already released mods he might have run into the problem where already binarized files cannot be

binarized again, hence binpbo throwing an error, and him thinking it had to be like this for everybody.

Other than that, no.

• Answer 2

Not to mention if you don't binarize your addon then sometimes (depending on the complexity) then Arma will be throwing fits, nevermind binpbo.

Imagine running an addon and then BAM, error boxes of strings constantly.

===================

Video Tutorial

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Created my own tutorial on how to sign and pbo (pack) your addons or mods

to add to this reference.

• Like 1