Sign in to follow this  
digitalcenturion

[WIP] Contemporary Iranian Infantry (with CSAT replacer)

Hi Guys

I recently started working on some contemporary Iranian infantry because I am more of 2014 guy than 2035. The point of this all along has been to make a replacer so you can enjoy missions that feature heavy scripting like Pilgrimage with contemporary units and gear. The replacer is optional however. It was just supposed to be a quick n' dirty mod but it sort of snowballed, so I thought I might as well gauge public interest in this. These are based on contemporary pictures from parades et cetera but reskins only (yet). I guess this would represent a "best case" scenario if Iran deployed some sort of expeditionary force.

All weapons are from Massis pack currently because it has all the needed bits. Ideally a custom weapons pack would be cool but out of my league currently -> if some weapon modder would like to help that would be really cool.

Units:

Army regular infantry

(replaces regular CSAT infantry)

-Arid DPM pattern BDUs w/ tactical vests, LBVs and some plate carriers in 3-tone desert.

-Folding stock G3's with flashlights. G3M203 for the grenadiers (unrealistic).

-Squad leaders get NVGs, team leaders get night vision scope.

-Machinegunners rock the MG3

-Auxilary troops get the MP5a5

2014_10_13_00001.jpg

2014_10_13_00002.jpg

2014_10_13_00003.jpg

2014_10_13_00004.jpg

2014_10_13_00005.jpg

Marine Commandos

(replaces urban camo CSAT infantry)

-Marine DPM/chip pattern BDUs w/ tactical vests, LBVs and some plate carriers in matching marine camo.

-DIO S-5.56 RAS with flashlights and aimpoints. M203s for grenadiers.

-Squad leaders get NVGs, team leaders get night vision scope.

-Machinegunners rock the PKM

-Auxilary troops get the MP5a5

2014_10_13_00006.jpg

2014_10_13_00007.jpg

2014_10_13_00008.jpg

65th NOHED special forces

(replaces recon CSAT infantry)

-Digital WL pattern BDUs w/ tactical vests, LBVs and some plate carriers in 3-tone desert.

-AKMS with PBS-1 surpressors and aimpoints in camo

-NVGs for all.

2014_10_13_00009.jpg

2014_10_13_00011.jpg

Hey man,

These look great so far and I would love to use these in my community's official mod collection. Way better than vanilla CSAT. Quick question though: Will you consider a version that takes Robert Hammer's/HLC weapons rather than massi's weapons?

Thanks for this week so far!

Very good, but why replace the KH-2002 (Katiba) with an AK? They may actually use the KH-2002 by 2035.

As DigitalCenturion said in his opening post this is about a 2014 Scenario not 2035.

As DigitalCenturion said in his opening post this is about a 2014 Scenario not 2035.

Not to far fetched, the rifle was brought up in 2001, and starte manufacture in 2004 I believe. Also in servic with some troops, possible special units, today.

Iranian+KH-2002+Khaybar+Assault+Rifle+(3)operitional+Islamic+Republic+of+Iran+Army+is+the+ground+force+of+the+Military+of+Islamic+Republic+of+Iran.JPG

Not to far fetched, the rifle was brought up in 2001, and starte manufacture in 2004 I believe. Also in servic with some troops, possible special units, today.

Well at the end of the day its DigitalCenturion mod he can do as he likes, thats the advantage of making your own mod. :cool:

Ah yes, I was about to mention the Kh-2002, it would make sense to use it but I don't know what troops would use it. I have yet to see it in a large distribution on parades or military exercizes = still in trials? Or maybe it is reserved for really secretive specops units. I have of course made other small leaps like introducing the M203 which AFAIK is not in use. I will think on it.

And regarding the RH/HLC yes I will consider that too. I would like to have a one stop download with as few requirements as possible, but I also want to have A3 levels of quality all over.

I just checked out the RH and HLC weapon packs, and while the weapons there are very nice there are some problems:

-The HLC G3 pack lacks the full lenght folding stock variants that are very prominently used by the Iranians. Also, the non-ras G3 cant mount flashligts, and I really want to have those. Neither is there a full-lenght M203 variant which is sort of needed for the replacement config.

-The RH M16A2 with fixed carry-handle cant mount scopes on top of the carry handle (would be most realistic stand-in for the DIO S-5.56 as I've only seen one picture of the DIO S-5.56 with RAS).

-The HLC packs + RH + massis pack is together a pretty massive bundle of required weapons for a unit mod. I'd prefer to not have that.

I will PM these gents however and maybe something can be worked out. Fingers crossed.

Not much news on the weapons front. I think I could pretty easily make two alternative configs, one for massi and one for RH/HLC for those who prefer those.

What do you guys feel like regarding vehicles? Would it be very out of place to have these iranians riding around in the vanilla CSAT vehicles, or should I try to make some using Reyhards tanks? There are of course a bunch of gaps still.

T-100 -> T-72S w. ERA

BTR-K -> BMP-2

AA BTR -> ZSU-23

Ifrit -> ? ? ?

Mi-48 -> Retextured Ah-1Z (the IRIAA fields the Ah-1J Sea Cobra which is reasonably close and are upgrading it so the Viper would make a reasonable stand-in. Since we have the sample models one could even replace rotor to use the Huyes two blade one and replace hellfires with TOW tubes and delete AIM-9)

Ka-60 -> Uh-1 or Mi-171

Iran also uses the Chinook. I also believe they use Chieftain tanks.

All of these are available in A2 samples, but porting is a pain in the ass.

A tip for the textures would be to break up the patren. At least on the pockets pocket flaps

for vehicles a reskined 2S1 Gvozdika and BM-21 Grad from the upcoming RHS mod might work for artillery and helicopter wise the Uh-1 could replace the unarmed Ka-60 and the Mi-171 could replace the armed variant

Kazenokizu yeah that is a good idea, the textures are still WIP.

Armyguy: Yes I think I will wait with the vehicles until RHS is out, it would be a very convinient one-stop-shop if I can get permission to reskin some of their vehicles. And yeah the Uh-1 would be a good fit for unarmed Ka-60 but IRL the IRIAA rock the twin engine AB214.

In a monumental detracking/project creep I started on this last night. It's a model I've been wanting to do for a long while anyways.

render1.jpg

I've never had much luck with making vehicles for ArmA but with the sample models maybe even a monkey like me can do the necessary cut-n-paste operations.

EDIT: If anyone has good references for the Ah-1J or T Sea Cobra, particularely drawings from the top and front, I'd appreciate that very much!

Update. I can't promsie Iwill get it ingame and working properly with help, but will at least be in Strike Fighters 2 for other projects I am working on there.

render3.jpg

Hi!

Well the mod is on the backburner, every time I decide to play or mod some Arma 3 there seems to be a new showstopper bug.

But I decided to upload a beta version of the mod to test. The replacement config is optional but needs the lt_csat.pbo loaded.

You need:

HLC MP-5 and G3 + core

RHS: Escalation

CUP

Linky:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B15h3Pblg44CVHZuTnpVWmlnSGM/view?usp=sharing

alright 2 things first it is MAS weapons pack not CUP that you need second i was going to make my own replacement packs (one that replaces NATO with US Army form RHS, second one that replaces CTRG with stkr britmtp, third one that replaces AAF with HAFM mod units and a third that did what you did and replaces CSAT with Iran) although i really couldn't get the replacement pack to work my knowledge of arma 3 modding/C++ is pretty limited although i did get a couple of textures in and uses a bunch of assets from other mods

Screen shots

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198060617358/screenshots/

That looks very good, quite similar to my thinking there. Feel free to look at my config if it helps you make your replacement work.

I was pretty sure I replaced all of Massis weapons with RHS ones and the few missing ones I used CUP, mainly launchers.

Any chance we can see a version utilizing only RHS and HLC mods?

That could be possible, but the problem there is there are not enough launcher types to make an Iranian army. The RPG-7 is good as a A3 RPG-42 standin but something needs to replace the missile launcher. I used the M47 Dragon from CUP that Iran indeed fields, even in a domestic improved version. I am also partial to the M79 grenade launcher, also found in CUP.

I would love not to have CUP as a requirement, but that would require a weapon pack to go with this, ideally also including the MG-3 machinegun, but I am not much of a weapon modder. I suppose it could be done using CUP sources I guess, anyone want to have a go?