Sign in to follow this  
Tacticles

Adding Mission to Existing Map

Good Evening.

I am looking for some assistance with adding an existing mission (ie Domination) to an existing map. I have a base that is already built, along with all the scripts defining vehicle respawns, repair points, ammo boxes, soldier loadouts, respawns, etc. The one problem I have is that I don't have an actual mission to play, as in there are no enemies to shoot, no objectives to capture. I have a decent amount of skill in the editor and with running a server, but I am just lost when it comes to making a good mission.

I have been reading around the forums and the Internet in general on map making, the headless client, and other server-related items, so I know the basics.

I need a bit of direction from some more experienced members on here as to how I should go about adding an actual mission onto my already existing map.

Any and all help is appreciated.

-T

First, let's clarify terms for Arma.

A terrain is generally also referred to as an 'island' or 'map'. Some people refer to missions as 'maps', but that tends to cause confusion.

A mission is generally also referred to as a 'game mode' or 'scenario'.

For example, Chernarus is a terrain/island/map, while something you build in the editor/via scripting is a mission/game mode/scenario.

You have created a mission, but it does not have any tasks/objectives to complete. You could merge your work into Domination, but that would likely cause more headaches than it's worth. It seems to me that you should either edit Domination to your liking, or learn how to create objectives/tasks. The former may be easier, but this forum is full of information and resources on the latter, as well as people willing to lend a guiding hand.

Here is Bushlurker's guide to porting Domination to other terrains.

I apologize for using the wrong terminology. I would like to keep my already existing mission, and merge another one with objectives and tasks onto it. I think that it would be very difficult to move/transfer the base that I already built onto an existing Domination mission, which is why I would like to try to merge a Domination mission onto my existing mission. I have tried merging Xeno's Domination for Takistan onto my map, but I have ran into a million errors due to the conflicting init.sqf's for my mission and Xeno's mission.

I know Domination by Xeno has its own unit positions, radio chatter, vehicle positions, etc, and that is the roadblock that I have been running into. Is there a way to take just OPFOR buildings and positions? I am a little lost here, but am trying to learn. I want to keep my buildings and my mission file that I have already made, with all the spawns and respawns set up, and stick some pre-made objectives onto it, where we go and cap bunkers, destroy buildings, etc.

I have been messing around in the editor with enemies, patrols, convoys, etc, and have gotten some triggers to work, such as when a vehicle or building is destroyed. I haven't quite gotten into endmissions and that sort of stuff yet.

Is it possible to merge someone else's mission onto mine? All I am after is a basic mission, with capturable/destroyable bunkers/buildings, where you have to move in, kill guys, destroy or cap, and voila, mission complete. There aren't going to be any BLUFOR AI involved, the mission will be done entirely by players.

Thank you for your help, and your patience. Still entirely a greenie here.

Domi is a very complex mission, which is why I made the recommendations that I did. You are better off editing it to your specifications rather than trying to fly parts of it into your own mission.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

BTW, you can merge your mission objects into Domi. Just open Domi in the editor, click MERGE, then select your mission. You might want to move/delete any conflicting Domi objects first, of course.

Oh, alright, that works too! I never thought of merging my map into a domination map, always the other way around. Alright then, I will have to post back later with hopefully some progress!

Thank you once again for your help and patience.