Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Helicopters DLC but no fast rope?

So, we all soon to have our grubby mitts on the Helicopters DLC coming out soon... New advanced flight model and sling loading. But wait a minute? What gives? No FAST ROPE added without community mods? Fast rope could add capabilities so that helicopters are not limited to LZ for landing.

Edited by Baz

Can a fast rope system not be Implemented, it's basically a ladder hanging from the chopper door.

What do you mean rope ladder? Fast Rope is the Rope that is thrown out for soldiers to descend down to ground quickly. But, yes rope ladder for EXTRACT would be wanted too... IE: water extraction of divers made possible with rope ladder. And winches too for rescue of downed pilots and for lowering air based medics like you see rescue helicopters do.

I guess the question would be, will the vanilla sling ropes 'break' the fast rope mods?

Fast roping should really be considered as a standard SOP in Arma 3 :)

Already people working on a script for it, because a standalone mod would require everyone to download, and that's a hassle for something that should be a Vanilla feature. We are working I it. What you can do to help is vote on Feedback Tracker, the Rope Elasticity feature and the Define rope point feature. Those are two very needed implementations for am fast roping, and many other interesting things you guys would be surprised can be done with ropes.

But why should the community have to make it as a mod or script? When it has the potential to be added to the new DLC anyways?

They will give us a Fastrope. When? In the mean time we use 3rd party. Not very difficult to understand.

where do they confirm they will give us fast rope capability?

They actually said the opposite, IIRC. I can't find it, but I remember a statement like that came to fruition. Some statement about how it's not in the best interest of the design of the game. I feel like it may have to do with the fact that the "Man" class isn't affected by physx until death, and even then that's not permanent.

There was an old interview from Gamescom 2012 where Ivan Buchta -- then creative director -- specifically is stated to have turned down fast-roping two years ago, and this year the official Arma 3 social media people have gone out of their way to say that fast-roping's not planned... whereas the dev team just gave us vortex ring state without prior announcement.

I feel like the CSAT Lifter would have benefited greatly from a fast rope.

But no cigar, I suppose.

So, we all soon to have our grubby mitts on the Helicopters DLC coming out soon... New advanced flight model and sling loading. But wait a minute? What gives? No FAST ROPE added without community mods? Fast rope could add capabilities so that helicopters are not limited to LZ for landing.

BI probably have the words "Half" and "Arsed" in their mission statement.

Why wouldn't they have fast roping? It is SOP. A military sim without this is a military sim released without an ak47 and m4. Oh...wait.

the problem with the DLC is that the rope they implemented for the slingloading is to elastic for fastroping. you really wouldn't want to go down a rope that is built out of material like that ^.^

the rope's are perfect for the slingloading applying phisx to the load but like i said you wouldn't want to go down a rope that mght snap from the movements or drops you down to the ground because of the elastic side to it. Had they done it it would not onl screw up all the scripts it would also destroy your experience in the game

the problem with the DLC is that the rope they implemented for the slingloading is to elastic for fastroping. you really wouldn't want to go down a rope that is built out of material like that ^.^

the rope's are perfect for the slingloading applying phisx to the load but like i said you wouldn't want to go down a rope that mght snap from the movements or drops you down to the ground because of the elastic side to it. Had they done it it would not onl screw up all the scripts it would also destroy your experience in the game

Then add another rope...

It seems to me so easy...

Then add another rope...

It seems to me so easy...

Yes, it is obviously easy and the developers are greedy fools for not doing it. The world's nice when everything's so simple, no?

Already people working on a script for it, because a standalone mod would require everyone to download, and that's a hassle for something that should be a Vanilla feature. We are working I it. What you can do to help is vote on Feedback Tracker, the Rope Elasticity feature and the Define rope point feature. Those are two very needed implementations for am fast roping, and many other interesting things you guys would be surprised can be done with ropes.

If it's a script then mission devs could include it in the mission and no download would be required. We've had fast roping on our server for a year, works great ropes are ugly.

creating the rope is easy yes but adding the proper phisx is another thing

Nailed it in one -- it sounds like the rope implementation was designed specifically for sling-loading, any capability for fast-roping was unintended.

If it's a script then mission devs could include it in the mission and no download would be required. We've had fast roping on our server for a year, works great ropes are ugly.

Exactly. That's our goal, is keeping it far away from a downloadable mod, and rather a script everyone can use. This way, it'd be as close to in the Vanilla game as possible, as it wouldn't require everyone to ddownload a fast rope mod. However, for now, yes, the scripts are dirty, and hacky ish. Until we can get better rope information, functions, and scripts, than we are at a stand still for any kind of in depth further search for rope capabilities.

Yes, it is obviously easy and the developers are greedy fools for not doing it. The world's nice when everything's so simple, no?

Never said they are greedy.

Fast rope was present in opf with a Bas add-on.

Never said they are greedy.

Fast rope was present in opf with a Bas add-on.

I am almost certain that every Arma game to date has had a fast roping addon. Doesn't look the nicest, but it works. What I'm saying is that we can't just be certain that implementing fast ropes is in any way "easy". If it were easy, someone at BIS probably would've thought of it.

If it were easy, someone at BIS probably would've thought of it.

http://helicopters.takeonthegame.com/full/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/TakeOn_Animations_Fast1.jpg

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/11/59/24/28/squad_10.jpg

hmmm. seems like someone did. kinda interesting when you consider that TOH runs on RV3, no?

it would be really great, if non-devs could stop "explaining" to people how "hard" certain things are and what the logic behind those things not being in the game is..

BI's priorities are elsewhere (helo DLC..how ironic), yes. but what's with random people making apologies for commercial devs? i'd like to see that kind of enthusiasm for defending devs in some mod threads..

I'd wonder how that was achieved at the engine level, but then again (as someone who doesn't have TKOH) I wonder how many people actually do... or whether it was just a mission-specific thing.