Sign in to follow this  
Aelus

Is Linux worth it?

Hey guys,

I have only ever hosted an Arma server through specific game hosting companies. My only experience with dedicated servers goes back to years ago using a couple of Windows servers through virtual PC to setup a WoW private server (I know.. I know...). To be honest... I haven't even used Linux ever. Not even in a partition or on someone elses computer. Hell I've never even seen it being used.

All that aside, i'm at a crossroad. After reading up a bit I see a lot of issues and frustration some people have with hosting Linux (despite others having no issues at all) and it makes me ask the question. Are Linux servers even worth it? The only reason I ask is because if it's just as good without issues there would be no point in spending the additional 25$ per month for Windows 08 license. Thanks in advance to whoever spends the time to help out, I really appreciate it.

If you never used Linux before, i recommend against running it on your dedicated server, even if you wont get lost during the installation of Arma, you will get stuck performing even the simplest of system administration tasks, let alone hardening the box for security. Save yourself the trouble and pay for the windows licence.

(remember a Linux server will not have a GUI, and thus everything will happen from the commandline.)

Edit: Linux is deffo worth it, but get yourself some desktop experience with it first before you start doing these kind of things.

If you never used Linux before, i recommend against running it on your dedicated server, even if you wont get lost during the installation of Arma, you will get stuck performing even the simplest of system administration tasks, let alone hardening the box for security. Save yourself the trouble and pay for the windows licence.

(remember a Linux server will not have a GUI, and thus everything will happen from the commandline.)

Edit: Linux is deffo worth it, but get yourself some desktop experience with it first before you start doing these kind of things.

Thank you for your honesty. I went ahead and purchased it after reading some of the guides to set it up. I'm familiar with command line functions and working through it thanks to compiling viewers and such on this one metaverse. Personally want to give it a try despite the annoyance of no GUI. Damn Windows and their 25$ license fee crap.

Let it be said that nothing is stopping you from installing a desktop on the server.

It can be Kde, Gnome , Xfce4 etc.. and use Xrdp/vncserver or other apps instead of putty/ssh comandline.

Let it be said that nothing is stopping you from installing a desktop on the server.

It can be Kde, Gnome , Xfce4 etc.. and use Xrdp/vncserver or other apps instead of putty/ssh comandline.

Thank you for the advice. I went ahead and just went with Windows Server instead. I have experience with it and am comfortable with it. It's only 25$ additional or I can just come by a key and activate it myself.

Very true indeed. Though i personally prefer headless on my servers, nothing is stopping you from installing it.

On my desktops i run Xubuntu, it's clean, fast, with a no-BullS mentality.

Seriously Aelus: Give linux a go, even if only in a vbox, you might actually like it :)

Are there any differences between linux/win for an A3 server + the new HC regarding performance, functionality and stability?

I have the feeling with Linux you have less loading time like "Waiting for Host" and kinda things. But because of the security and lack of experience with linux stuff i changed on WinServer 2008 RC2, too. Its just for "normal" people easier to use. Of course linux would be same as easy to use with some time and training but if your start your dedi Admin career with Linux ... its absolutly no fun to learn the hard way. Even with Blackbox, VNC and Stuff ...

Functionality is pretty the same ...

Its more important to choose a good and cheap root server with good connection power.

We are also running on 2008 R2, for the sake of our other admins, and the better availability of tools.

I gave the Linux server a go when it was new, but honestly didnt see much benefits. Might want to re-do that experience one day soon.

Edited by kamaradski