Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

What happened to physics

Haven't been following too closely so sorry if it's a repost, but searching for physics and physx gave too many hits.

I remember before the release they were talking about how physx would add real weight to objects (something they mentioned before A2 too actually), and showed some videos with a car hitting shipping containers and what not. I don't know if they implemented it horribly or not all, but are there any words from the devs on this? Did they drop it, postpone it, implement it and were happy about it - what? Driving is still quite trippy in A3. Not old-school-launched-into-space-with-an-APC-trippy, but it's bad enough for me to be surprised/shocked that they launched a racing DLC...

PhysX is in the game..

As per your "implemented horribly" its probably something more along that line... I would use those words but.. yes its not exactly the best.

But overall , PhysX is used in game on vehicles and I believe objects, but in the arma engine you can only use it so much, as opposed to engines built to work with it overall etc.

PhysX applies to vehicles, ragdoll, and most editor placed objects. The problem is the way it's implemented. It works, and if you fix the config values, it works really well for vehicles. But it's not as accurate a system as it could be and has plenty of limitations.

+1 for improved Physx. At the very minimum we need vehicles that handle at least as good as Arma2 (particularly tracked vehicles). At the moment, a lot of the vehicles in Arma3 handle and behave no better than a free indie game with wip physx. The fact they where ok in arma2 just makes it more frustrating.

There is huge potential here, but it seems they lack some one who actually knows how to set Physx up propperly?

Hmmm ok, so they have a partial physx implementation then. Too bad, I was hoping it was on their to-do list. And I guess this is pretty much tied up to the engine so we won't see any mods fixing this either?