Sign in to follow this  
thesn4k3

C-2a Greyhound C.O.D.

Grumman C-2a Greyhound - Carrier On-board Delivery Aircraft(COD)

Hello everyone,

I posted some pics of my C-2a a while back in a WIP thread with some other addons. Since then I had a lot of stuff come up that got me extremely busy. Recently I have been working on finishing this model so that I can get it in game with hopes of doing some awesome carrier ops. So instead of digging up an old topic with a bunch of addons I have on the back burner I decided to show you guys my progress on the my sole focus. I haven't modded since the OFP days and I am horrible with textures so please excuse my poor textures and configs. My focus right now is to get this model textured decently enough to play with in game and hopefully it will look good enough for other folks to enjoy carrier ops with as well.

For those of you not familiar with the c-2a, here is a snippet from wikipedia:

The Grumman C-2 Greyhound is a twin-engine, high-wing cargo aircraft, designed to carry supplies and mail to and from aircraft carriers of the United States Navy. Its primary mission is carrier onboard delivery (COD). The aircraft provides critical logistics support to carrier strike groups. The aircraft is mainly used to transport high-priority cargo, mail and passengers between carriers and shore bases, and can also deliver cargo like jet engines and special stores.

Prototype C-2s first flew in 1964 and production followed the next year. The initial Greyhound aircraft were overhauled in 1973. In 1984, more C-2As were ordered under the name Reprocured C-2A or C-2A®. The C-2As received updated propellers (from four to eight blades) and navigation. The U.S. Navy is in the process of determining the future of the aircraft.

And here are some WIP pics of the model.

The model is about 95% done with some of the animations done. The exterior textures are close to being done and I am slowly working on the interior textures too.

http://i.imgur.com/Hkravu2.png (135 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/pUBltgq.png (162 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/O4qiAMU.png

http://i.imgur.com/slUeaRt.png (136 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/mPWzpvf.png (251 kB)

http://i.imgur.com/Bc8KAZt.png (105 kB)

9/29/14

http://i.imgur.com/J0sVUix.png (201 kB)

Planned features:

Animated ramp and door.

Animated folding wings.

Long animated startup sequence with APU.(animations, not interactive)

Version with and without seats for cargo.

Other stuff I'm sure I forgot.

Also after I finally finish this I plan on making an E-2 by replacing the fuselage and minor things that differ between the 2.

Edited by thesn4k3

Thanks! I have been working hard on finishing the interior textures and cockpit. I am almost done with the exterior textures and will begin working on the config and testing to get the flight model right. I have decided that I will also begin work on the E-2 hawkeye and release the 2 together. The E-2 shouldnt take much to get going once I have the C-2 done.

this is looking good. are you gonna make it work with the USS Nimitz?

Yes. The plan is to make it work with the Nimitz which is its intended purpose in real life. The Nimitz won't be a required add on of course, but I want to make all the arresting wire animations work.

Really nice! Hope to see it soon, would add some immersion and variety to the carrier ops! Thank you!

My shins hurt just from looking at those cargo seats.

I'll be happy to include this with my groups modpack when it's released! It will give me a reason to bring back the carrier.

Is that Bruce Willis?! Haha.

I took one out from Pax to a carrier off of VA for a dog and pony once. What they didn't tell me was to keep my feet as far back as possible on the catapault launch. I nailed my shins so damn hard.. >.<

Is that Bruce Willis?! Haha.

I took one out from Pax to a carrier off of VA for a dog and pony once. What they didn't tell me was to keep my feet as far back as possible on the catapault launch. I nailed my shins so damn hard.. >.<

Tom Skerritt is in there too. This has gotta be from when they were filming Tear's of the Sun

Yea I'm pretty sure you guys are right. I used that pic a lot to help with interior modelling so I did a lot of staring at Bruce willis' chiseled jaw line.

As far as an update. Last week was real busy at work so I didn't get much time to work but I'm hoping to get the plane in game this weekend for testing and getting the animations going. I'm done with modelling for the most part other than the cockpit console. I still have a decent amount of texturing to do. Also as soon as I finish the animations I'm going to model the e-2

http://i.imgur.com/J0sVUix.png (201 kB)

Just a peak at the progress. I have been working on the animations as well as the interior of the plane. Most of the exterior is complete but I still haven't put it ingame yet to begin working on the config. Hopefully it will be ready for testing soon so we can all wreck it into the nimitz

nice keep up the good work man have to ask will it he halo compatible meaning people can jump out of it ?

You can technially always make AI/people eject from planes.

BTW HALO is a really specialized and dangerous parachute jump described by its name meaning high altitude low opening ( 44000 feet usually ).

nice keep up the good work man have to ask will it he halo compatible meaning people can jump out of it ?

i believe that the navy does use it to deploy seal teams. of course in arma you can do what you want with it anyways. irl it has an onboard apu so that also allows a self-start anywhere it lands, again in arma that doesnt matter though.

I will admit, being able to open up the back and jump out of it does sound appealing. Who doesn't want to jump out of a plane at 40,000 feet???

Its looking good!

Well the ramp is animated and there will be a version with and without the seats since it is a cargo plane as well as a personnel carrier so really you could do jumps from it. It will be much smaller than most cargo planes so it would actually make for a very good small team delivery vehicle. Not only for jumping but also landing in small areas. The plane is 17 meters long with a 25 meter wingspan if I'm remembering correctly.

look what is standing in the link ;)

US_Navy_020725-N-5319A-574_Actor_Bruce_Willis_and_film_crew_prepare_for_a_C-2_flight.jpg/1280px-US_Navy_020725-N-5319A-574_Actor_Bruce_Willis_and_film_crew_prepare_for_a_C-2_flight

Is he still working on this mod?

Otherwise i would like to take it over. Just send me a PM.

Greetings,

Foxone

Or you could send him one?

If you could finish it, I think a lot of people would be grateful.

It would be nice if BI created a type of repository where modders who have to leave a project for whatever reason could deposit files and progress notes for anyone to pick up and finish. This could render more mods than the recent contest imo.

I am still working on this and a few other aircraft to release a naval air mod pack. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy lately so its been hard to find time to work on it. I would gladly accept some help on it if you are interested. Just send me a pm with some info and we'll talk

I am still working on this and a few other aircraft to release a naval air mod pack. Unfortunately I've been extremely busy lately so its been hard to find time to work on it. I would gladly accept some help on it if you are interested. Just send me a pm with some info and we'll talk

Hello thesn4k3.

What other aircraft u plan to release in your "naval air pack"? Possible go see some screens of them? Of course if you already started. Really appreciate your C-2 however. It will be very useful when u release it :) thank you for your good job!

I have a decent amount of work done on a few of the aircraft so far but not to the point where i am ready to show any work off yet. I will make a full post with pics and videos once I feel like I am far enough along with progress to inform everyone. Like I said, I've been real busy this summer with real life stuff so its been hard to get any work done lol. I have been working pretty steady on things the last few weeks so it's looking good, but if there is anyone interested in helping out I'd love to have them. As far as the pack goes, I have this C-2a Greyhound, an E-2d Advanced Hawkeye, and a T45c Goshawk in the later stages of development. I have am planning for an Ea-6b Prowler and a F/A18 C/D hornet too once I finish the current stuff. I have some other things I'd like to try too but this is it for now. All of the planes will be carrier capable as I'm also working with tetet on the nimitz project.