alarm9k

Override user issued "Engage" order

I am looking for a way/hack to override the vehicle's behaviour triggered by manually assigning a target and giving an "Engage" or "Engage at will" order. When engaging a target the unit will usually move around. I need to make the vehicle stop, while still being able to fire, target and obey move commands given via scripting. I performed all my tests using a Slammer tank. What I have tried so far:

• doMove and moveTo commands have only temporary effects, the tank does move into position but then resumes engaging immediately, its state remains "Engaging";
  • doStop command has no effect on a vehicle that has "Engaging" state;
  • setCombatMode "GREEN" has no effect, currentCommand still returns "ATTACK";
  • doTarget objNull, doFire objNull etc have no effect either;

Any ideas?

Edited by alarm9k
forgot to subscribe

enableAttack

Sorry, I don't see how this is going to help :confused:

EnableAttack prevents only AI TLs from giving "engage" order I think. If I understood, what is needed, is altering AI behavior triggered by "engage (current target/at will)" order issued via commanding menu by player-controlled tank commander to his crew (gunner?). BUT in the same time the vehicle must be move-able via scripting commands. I may be mistaken, but sadly to me it seems to be impossible task. Unless you'll immobilize the tank eg by taking whole fuel, and returning it back only, when using scripted movement. Ugly, not reliable and not recommended. There are also disableAI commands, but IMO doubtful usefulness here.

BTW didn't knew, so issuing such order to the gunner will make driver move the tank, but I didn't tried such things.

A workaround may be to script custom order resulting with desired AI behavior, issued eg via action menu.

Edited by Rydygier

A workaround may be to script custom order resulting with desired AI behavior

Not sure if it can be called a 'workaround' :D But since 'engaging' consists mostly of finding a good (covered) position to fire from, and firing itself (and I do plan to implement that, you know), I might try to do that.

I did find that creating another group wipes the AI's memory so targets that it knows about are removed.

A custom command could take the unit out of the group then place it right back, you would need to disable AI's targeting as if it sees the old target it will attack ,enableAttack may also help.

Down side is if the object is the leader all waypoints will be lost.

We really need a decent reset for the AI, it's pathetic that we have so little control.

I seems there are some new commands since the last reply. Sorry to dig up this old post. I'm not sure alarm9k still looking for sommething on that. Just if  setSkill is not sufficient, try some new disableAi behaviors.