Sign in to follow this  
deltagamer

[WIP] CH-46 SeaKnight

SeaKnight Pack

By Deltagamer

This is an old thread but the mod is still active - Armaholic CH46 Thread

Hi there, I'm currently working on getting a CH46 into the game. Even though its getting phased out in the US military other countries still tend to use this as its such a great helicopter. This is only an early WIP and it may not even get finished however I will try my best to release it and possibly release the aircraft unbinarized for other users to play around with.

Planned Features

- Complete unarmed version - Working ramp, closed doors high cargo capacity

- Armed version - M2 and/or M240Ds on the side doors and ramp, less cargo capacity

- Armed version 2 - roughly 4 gunners possibly 3 m2's and 1 sniper, slightly less capacity

- vanilla sling loading

- Advance flight model

- Possible winch system

- Possibly fastroping

- Possibly folding rotors

- Possibly civilian version

- Medevac version

- Walkable interior

If you have any ideas to what I can add to this bird please let me know and I will try my best to get it in.

I'm still unsure of the scale and may have to change things around but any advice you can give me would be great.

Credits

- TheMisterCat has a secret bag full of good tips

Version = CH-46D

Thanks

Edited by deltagamer

Haha, this is really really freaky and creepy. I was just thinking about a sea knight mod like 2 or 3 hours ago lol Nice job! Looks great so far. Don't forget to add a second sea knight that's alike to the marine seahawk color and decals.

http://helicoptersphoto.blogspot.com/2012_01_03_archive.html

That's a really good picture of one to model off of. Don't forget about the hatch like the chinooks have and also seaknights have ramp gunners unlike chinooks. Instead of a lookout with no gun like the chinook the seaknight has the disembark officer too but he also has a mounted M2 machine gun.

I wish you good luck man. Oh and how's bulldozer? I use the regular arma tools (oxygen 2 personal edition) and its a little confusing.

Oh and how's bulldozer? I use the regular arma tools (oxygen 2 personal edition) and its a little confusing.

Buldozer is pretty much a part of Oxygen 2 btw

@Tristen2NT Yeah the TheMisterCat is right, it should already be in your oxygen tool. If you go to view - viewers - buldozer and then start/restart you can start the buldozer tool however you might have to do some config tweaks for it to work the way you want.

use this tutorial by Gnat for a better understanding of oxygen

Thx, ill watch it later and if it works out then alrighty :) Thinking of for my first first mod i'm thinking B2 Bomber but sorta a difficulty due to its shape.

@Tristen2NT Yeah the TheMisterCat is right, it should already be in your oxygen tool. If you go to view - viewers - buldozer and then start/restart you can start the buldozer tool however you might have to do some config tweaks for it to work the way you want.

use this tutorial by Gnat for a better understanding of oxygen

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Oh lord, would that be a pain to make that beast

Epic!

If someone started working on a CH-53 Stallion too that would be just awesome :D

I may look into making the MH-53E Sea Dragon or the CH-53 Sea Stallion. Depends on how much time I have as I haven't done much with the chinook pack I released and I'm still working with the USAF team to make the IDWS for the CV-22, but I will definitely give them this once I've finished it for their navy mod they have talked about starting if they are still wanting to do that. My full attention goes to the USAF team and then this.

Yeah like he said, not the place.... And it was my mod but I guess it doesent count because it was a modification of that mod.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Well I know 15th MEU a team I sometimes hang with have seaknight mods and sea stallion mods in some of their Saturday night ops. Their seaknights are a great example. Sea stallion would be fun to see although I could just imagine the size of it, how loud it is, and how hard it is to control. Almost like Kajman. Takes skill to turn good. Couple weeks back here at Fort Huachuca, Arizona (US army base) a few sea stallions flew over my house during a training excersise with army and marines at the base. There insanely loud.

I may look into making the MH-53E Sea Dragon or the CH-53 Sea Stallion. Depends on how much time I have as I haven't done much with the chinook pack I released and I'm still working with the USAF team to make the IDWS for the CV-22, but I will definitely give them this once I've finished it for their navy mod they have talked about starting if they are still wanting to do that. My full attention goes to the USAF team and then this.

So, just to get this out of the way early....is this YOUR model that you started from scratch? Do you have any wireframe pics of it so we can see it in production?

It's a nice model, don't get me wrong, but it's weird that when I start a model, especially in O2, that I create a rough box of the known dimensions that I'm going to create my model within. You mentioned in your OP that you weren't sure of the scale of this thing. That's something that I figured you'd have adjusted by now, but even I'm no expert when it comes to conventional work-flow. TBH, I start in Modo with blueprints, get the rough model created, then port it into O2 and scale it accordingly with my known dimensions.

Good luck on it, I hope to see some WIP wire frame shots soon.

@Tristen2NT Just so you know and to save you grief in the future. You cannot use someone else's mod and edit it a little or at all without their consent, its something this community has been great at enforcing over the years and something the mods have clamped down on extremely quickly when something arises on the forums. I respect that you're new so I would suggest you be a bit more careful and look into it a little deeper. If you want to use something it never hurts to PM the author :)

Now enough of that as its for another time and another place, I just wanted to make sure that you understand and don't get into more trouble.

---------- Post added at 22:17 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

So, just to get this out of the way early....is this YOUR model that you started from scratch? Do you have any wireframe pics of it so we can see it in production?

It's a nice model, don't get me wrong, but it's weird that when I start a model, especially in O2, that I create a rough box of the known dimensions that I'm going to create my model within. You mentioned in your OP that you weren't sure of the scale of this thing. That's something that I figured you'd have adjusted by now, but even I'm no expert when it comes to conventional work-flow. TBH, I start in Modo with blueprints, get the rough model created, then port it into O2 and scale it accordingly with my known dimensions.

Good luck on it, I hope to see some WIP wire frame shots soon.

@Raptor 6 Actual I'm afraid it isn't my model, I got it off a website that does 3D modelling and they had it up for free and for anyone to use, however I was afraid this might run into some problems like previous posts of the CH46 helicopter. The model I have was from scratch and should not conflict with any other mod makers on this forum. The website also has a "contact us" for copyright claims etc that when claimed the model gets take down and this hasn't had any problems with copyright what so ever. If it does however run into problems then I will not post anymore work or do anything until its all sorted out as I don't want to piss anyone off. I will also give credit to the 3D model maker as well even if he isn't on the forum, but this model that I got isn't for ArmA at all or any game for that matter it seems.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

To add to that, I think I have the scale all sorted out however it isn't in a state to get in game yet so I will have to wait and see.

Edited by deltagamer
Now irrelevant

Thanks for the reply Deltagamer. BTW, if you can, what plans do you have in mind for features? I know some modelers don't want to spend more time on small "cosmetic" stuff such as door or ramp openings, such as the side doors. Even the fact that the new sling load function is included into the Dev-Branch version. But I always thought of adding things such as variable mass shifting according to weight and balance. A custom UI could be made to switch out models with different configurations on door guns, cargo spacing (such as medical litters), and small details like that.

Again, good luck, I'll be following to see how it goes.

@Raptor 6 Actual Yeah i'll look into the service menu for switching to different version of the bird, I cant remember who made the service menu so I will have to do some digging, I do have plans to add all the small stuff that hardcore pilots just love to see in game.

Planned Features

- Armed version - M2 and/or M240Ds on the side doors and ramp, less cargo capacity

- Armed version 2 - roughly 4 gunners possibly 3 m2's and 1 snipers, slightly less capacity

- vanilla sling loading

- Advance flight model

- possibly winch system

- possibly fastroping

- possibly folding rotors

- possibly civilian version

-

If you or anyone else has any ideas to what I can add to this bird please let me know and I will try my best to get it in.

Armed Version 2 sniper reference

mk11-300x200.jpg

Edited by deltagamer

One of the biggest things, that I wished for back in the ArmA II version of the CH-46 was that of stretchers for a MEDEVAC version, another words, specifically setup for medical evacuation. Other than that, I think the list you have going is great. Obviously, it'll take time and patience to finish the first one, but after you are happy with it, I believe the others will just fall into place.

John Spartan is the one with the custom UI service menu, he helped Peral out with his A-10C version, but that doesn't mean that you have to do the same exact setup. By what I understand, you can create custom pages in the service menu, that you might be able to adjust fuel, cargo placement, etc, and by creating different versions of your model, but with the mass moved around, you can simulate weight changes. Don't quote me on that, but it seems to be a concept that I believe strongly in, and am trying to work it into my landing craft models.

I'll keep you posted on it, or make a video once I get to that point.

@Raptor 6 Actual Its funny you mention the medical one, I have a Medevac version for the CH47 I'm working on and it looks really good so far, The seating works well with actions to mount the stretchers or the medic position crouched next to a stretcher. It still needs tuning but I can definitely get a smaller version of it for the CH46. Thanks for letting me know about John Spartan, I will message him once I have at least one version in game and no copyright issues come up which shouldn't be a problem.

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Update

I'm kind of having to redo the entire model, going over all the errors that came up when converting to oxygen, you can see in the first image that it looks a bit odd. It will take some time to get ready but once I have that sorted I should fly through all the work...

See what I did there.

Edited by deltagamer
Now irrelevant

Just wanted to add some things for addon/vehicle info, "- possibly civilian version" I believe sea knights are not available to public. Only actual military helicopter unarmed that your allowed to buy is the Huey however, firefighters use Seaknights but I believe that wouldn't count as "Civilian" , Also found some new screenshots for you however 1st link is best to look at as a display design and 2nd link a great picture/example of the seaknight folded. http://www.scale-rotors.com/galerie/1-utility-helicopters/3294-ch-46e-sea-knight-academy.html http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12872

Also don't forget the seaknight does have a hatch on the bottom just like the Chinook or "CH47" does.

And 2 more things. The seaknight has 2 versions of it. (cant remember names) but one version has the front wheel lifted weigh above the tail wheel and the other version will be just like the chinook, all stable and flat.

And 1 more thing to add is that since you are however in the "USAF MOD team". Seaknight's can be folded and put into C5 galaxys. Or a take apart script. Maybe 2 minutes ingame to take apart the helicopter then load into C5. Honestly I don't get why you would need to transport a helicopter on altis even though its big. Not that big but there are scripts out there where fuel is a issue. So flying a helicopter from kavala to sofia would be a problem... And plus im thinking of trying to convert altis and stratis together to make 1 big map and then add a rotated altis in the map maybe 10 minutes across ocean by helicopter. (of course with permission from bohemia) but if all goes well then finally KC130 would be needed for sure and so will C5 transporting cargo :D

- Armed version 2 - roughly 4 gunners possibly 3 m2's and 1 snipers, slightly less capacity

- vanilla sling loading

- Advance flight model

- possibly winch system

- possibly fastroping

- possibly folding rotors

- possibly civilian version

-

Just wanted to add some things for addon/vehicle info, "- possibly civilian version" I believe sea knights are not available to public.

Ejem...:j:

I love this British Airways "military" chinook:

0070594.jpg

And plus im thinking of trying to convert altis and stratis together to make 1 big map and then add a rotated altis in the map maybe 10 minutes across ocean by helicopter. (of course with permission from bohemia)

Technically that's not allowed by license, so it's quite unlikely that you got that permission.

Edited by MistyRonin

And plus im thinking of trying to convert altis and stratis together to make 1 big map and then add a rotated altis in the map maybe 10 minutes across ocean by helicopter. (of course with permission from bohemia)

I don't think it's a possibility to do that, maybe with scripts that teleport between maps (If thats even a thing), but you would need Bohemia to give you the maps which I don't think they would really do.

Just wanted to add some things for addon/vehicle info, "- possibly civilian version" I believe sea knights are not available to public. Only actual military helicopter unarmed that your allowed to buy is the Huey however, firefighters use Seaknights but I believe that wouldn't count as "Civilian"

I believe a logging company in the US owns Swedish Airforce Seaknights, But you might be referring to US Military aircraft.

*Edit*

As Mistyronin showed, it's Columbia Helicopters that own Swedish Airforce ones

Edited by Marsvinet

From the wiki it says that their are 2 civilian operators (company wise) Canadian company "Helifor Canada" and US company "Columbia Helicopters". There are also probably other civilian users in the world that may be collectors, small business's etc.

In the end it's a video game, and your mod. If you want to do a civilian version then go right ahead. Your call man. Heck let some civs fire a belt on the guns haha

@warlord554 Thanks, of course the civilian one is still a maybe and I doubt I would add it, I just want to get this in game first then focus on all the little details that everyone loves so much.

Update

The model is looking so much better now and I think its coming along really well. Its still going to take some time as I want everything to be its best. Textures is my main thing I'm focused on as its not my strong point when it comes to modding. I'm sure everyone can appreciate the long wait as details are the most important thing when it comes to making this.

Edited by deltagamer

Another update.

I've finished redoing the model and I'm happy with the way its turned out. I still have to finish most of the cockpit and fix the seating in the rear but once that's all finished I can start adding the textures and focus on getting it in game.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

To add to that the doors and windows are there on the top image its just hard to see them without it being textured.

Edited by deltagamer
Now irrelevant