Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?

what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?  

344 members have voted

1. 1. what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 ?

• 1. AI Bugs (Bad Driving, Aiming/Aimbotting, See through grass/bushes etc)
    • 2. Low CPU utilization & Low FPS (SP/MP)
    • 3. Multiplayer Servers with RPG, Altis life, Zombie & Similar gamemodes.
    • 4. Missing Features.

So : Blufor and Opfor fights, then you add independent groups and put them as unfriendly to all. If you want defined blufor or opfor units/groups to fight as independent put an independent groupleader to that group with probablitity 0. Voilà.

Yeah, I know that trick - but the illusion only works if there isn't any indep involved in the mission (wich introduces another limit for mission makers).

Edit : Not to mention that such a group would still be unable to engage other indep groups...

Edited by Pepe Hal

Yeah, I know that trick - but the illusion only works if there isn't any indep involved in the mission (wich introduces another limit for mission makers).

That's something I can second and I think i've even mentioned it somwhere on the first few pages of this very thread. We have this side/faction system since OFP and it's about time to get a more flexible one. All units available on all sides, freely definable sides and factions, and a small panel for setting relationships between them (can be a simple true/false for friendly/hostile) - like in a skirmish mode of any random strategy game.

Edit : Not to mention that such a group would still be unable to engage other indep groups...

If you have 6 identical blufor groups and define two as opfor and 2 as independent you will never know who is fighting who until they open fire.

edit: not saying the system cant/shouldnt be improved, just making sure you know some basic things that can create your illusion of random warfare. Most users are unaware that any unit or group can be fighting anyone regardless of visible side or faction without fancy scripting. With scripts nothing is impossible.

Edited by andersson

If you have 6 identical blufor groups and define two as opfor and 2 as independent you will never know who is fighting who until they open fire.

edit: not saying the system cant/shouldnt be improved, just making sure you know some basic things that can create your illusion of random warfare. Most users are unaware that any unit or group can be fighting anyone regardless of visible side or faction without fancy scripting. With scripts nothing is impossible.

Well, it's still clunky and allows three fighting factions tops. I have scenarios where I could easily have six or more factions fighting each other which is not possible due to this system. It's also problematic even with scripting. I've had one case where I spawned BLUFOR units into an OPFOR group (via script) and the group members started attacking each other on missions start. (They were still talking to each other, reporting enemies and stuff while firing at themselves.) Clunky workaround: Setting them all as captive so they don't engage each other. Problem: The real enemies will ignore them and focus on the groupleader (player) only.

And why did I do all this hassle? Because the old faction system limited me in the first place as in that mission GREENFOR are fighting BLUFOR while BLUFOR should also engage the player (OPFOR) which actually is a BLUFOR unit model but needs to work together with and OPFOR on that mision. Complicated case and pretty unlikely in common scenarios - but I really needed to push the outdated faction system to its limits there.

I'm with you on the Mk200 sights but I'm really not a fan of the Mk20 (in general in terms of looks), I find the sights to cover everything below the target and are too wide for my liking.

Mk20 sights are not elevated so it does present some difficulties. I'm not a fan of it either but I still find it useful, lets say. And it is illuminated.

I hate the lack of modern day vehicles... no MRAPs or Chinooks in vanilla? :( I would love to fly and drive that stuff in I&A and Wasteland and possibly KOH

I have been playing PVP for awhile and i would change my vote from AI to: "Major bugs in existing features".

Common, everyday issues:

-random and not necessary LOD changing. It is very annoying, because it's harder to spot enemy movement due to the flickering.

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5830)

-ground parallax issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11846)

-thermal view issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20690)

-character rotation issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19487)

Btw. most of these are assigned/reviewed whatever that mean.

Edited by danczer

For me the most annoying things about ArmA3 Vanilla :-

In no specific order.

No classed restricted weapons And not enough class restricted roles. (everyone can be a super pilot, AT, Sniper medic,Explosives, Crewman)

GPS can be toggled on by infantry soldiers when not wearing any special equipment. (magical on screen gps display while in just trousers and a tshirt)

Icons. Dont need them.

Client side snakes can open doors. (meaning a door will open on the server for each clients snake passing a door)

Ammo count and mag count shows in top right even on highest difficulty. (no matter what gear you are wearing)

Peripheral dots still appear even on highest difficulty.

Shift click wp is available in some vehicles even when its disabled and on highest difficulty.

With Hexagons off in difficulty, Squad leaders still show up as a hexagon in certain vehicles even on highest difficulty. (littlebird for example)

Big black crosshair that follows certain vehicles on the map even on highest difficulty. (littlebird for example)

AI clip and shoot through walls. (grr)

Everyone can mark everyone elses map. (if it was a bft and class restricted fine but its a paper map)

Compass doesn't scale with the map scale so you cant calculate distance using the edge of the compass. (in fact just the compass in general)

Automatic move map to player position even on the highest difficulty. (WTF)

Mouse movement speed is totally unrealistic (twitch gamer style).

Medic teleports when healing. (usually into enemy fire)

Broken Steam browser which replaced gamespy. (Grrrr)

No blacklist in server browser. (filled with missions for youtube/streamer popularity seekers)

You cant restrict gamma and brightness server side. (pvp night missions are pointless)

Autospot off difficulty setting doesn't work in multiplayer. (Meaning players call out AI sentences)

They kept 3rd person view. (When COD and BF players wont play ArmA because 3rd person is too unrealistic you know its wrong)

The amount of forum polls.

Edited by BL1P

No classed restricted weapons And not enough class restricted roles. (everyone can be a super pilot, AT, Sniper medic,Explosives, Crewman)

While I generally disagree with class restricted roles, there definitely needs to be some sort of way that certain weapons can be restricted. You shouldn't be able to take both a rocket launcher and a sniper rifle, they should simulate not only the weight of these objects, but also the ungainliness of them.

And I certainly agree with the things such as getting rid of the magic GPS and the magic paper map, getting rid of these things would make the squad leader a much more important player and would improve the importance of proper communications and logistics.

An interesting thing to see would be a very simple SADL interface, where information could be uploaded to a database that anyone with a satellite-linked device (such as squad leader, vehicle commander, or pilots) could access. It could have several types of information, maybe a basic text entry, a simple waypoint and a description, and maybe a series of waypoints in an updateable entry that could help map out the movement of units (friendly or otherwise) over time. It could be set up so that it would "ping" (sent a sound alert to) a selected unit, so that specific requests for CAS or logistical support (supply drop, transport or similar) could be sent to the correct players.

Playing with a community usually helps the do-everything-commando problem.

Class restriction is a tricky one.

I very much agree that having a sniper medic carrying a rocket launcher while flying an attack chopper is a bit immersion breaking.

However, out in the field when sh*t hits the fan, every soldier should be able to operate a sniper rifle or fire a machine gun, although they should be less effective.

I'm thinking for sniper rifle the sway and breathing can be a class based factor. For AT the sway and the locking mechanism, etc ...

Class restriction is a tricky one.

I very much agree that having a sniper medic carrying a rocket launcher while flying an attack chopper is a bit immersion breaking.

However, out in the field when sh*t hits the fan, every soldier should be able to operate a sniper rifle or fire a machine gun, although they should be less effective.

I'm thinking for sniper rifle the sway and breathing can be a class based factor. For AT the sway and the locking mechanism, etc ...

I think these should depend on the player skill and not on the avatar skill. This is what BI try to achieve with weapon sway and fatigue systems.

And it's possible to achieve when making a mission. I like the unrestricted canvas, let the mission designer choose what they see fit.

The other points BL1P brought up are good ones. Agree.

I have been playing PVP for awhile and i would change my vote from AI to: "Major bugs in existing features".

Common, everyday issues:

-random and not necessary LOD changing. It is very annoying, because it's harder to spot enemy movement due to the flickering.

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5830)

-ground parallax issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11846)

-thermal view issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20690)

-character rotation issue

(http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=19487)

Btw. most of these are assigned/reviewed whatever that mean.

Completely agree with Danczer here. First let me be clear, I've been a fan of the series since Operation Flashpoint. Arma3 is the first game I've picked up since the original ArmA and have been enjoying it alot. A number of nice steps forward have been made but there is also alot of stuff lacking which the community has been requested since OFP. What is bothering the most though is the same as Danczer states here. The current game has features which contain obvious bugs but these seem te be ignored. Alot of these bugs make it seem like you are playing an amature project and really kill immersion. My little list of stuff:

Basic stuff:

-Hot fences in thermal view. This bug was introduced a couple of months ago and seems pretty retarted, but still, it persists and seemingly no efforts at fixing it.

-No minimal hit value for armor (since OPF). Basically meaning even a pistol bullet will cause damage due to the old hitpoints system. Could easily be fixed by a minimal damage value for a weapon before it does actual damage to armor.

-Floating objects, all sorts of objects float just above ground level, especially far away objects.

-Flares not much brighter than a star or led. Flares are just useless and unrealistic because of this Obvious issue.

-ai in vehicles/objects with optical aids such as thermal view actually are far worse at spotting enemy inf through these optics than infantry without aids.

-AA vehicles are defenceless against ATGM equiped aircraft due to unrealistic radar.

Some more complex issues requiring more work (probably):

-Vehicle destruction always ending in the same violent explosion (since OFP). Some vehicles should simply get wrecked, others burn, some should have ammo cook-off.

-ai still have no clue about suppresive fire (since OFP)

-ai suck with anything involving vehicles. Pathfinding around vehicles and driving over roads and taking turns actually seems worse than in the original OFP.

Current unrealistic magical radar

-magically knows if vehicles are manned or not (and by which faction). Meaning you just press the target key and it will select the next enemy vehicle in range (even if the radar is not displaying it in green/red yet).

-all weapons fire and forget

-Radar should give targets, to be checked by gunner with optics for IFF and locking, and if needed tracking for non-fire and forget weapons.

Most complex issues I guess:

Outdated graphics techniques

-Only 1 shadow emmiting light??

Accurate damage models (visual mostly, but enhances immersion)

-Tracks running off/lost road wheels. Currently no visual signs to suggest damaged or destroyed tracks.

-Vehicle fires, but crew having a chance to escape before getting burned

-Side skirt damages/breaking off due to heavy HE shells/impacts from light anti tank weapons/crashing into objects

-Did I mention not everything should explode?

Completely agree with Danczer here. First let me be clear, I've been a fan of the series since Operation Flashpoint. Arma3 is the first game I've picked up since the original ArmA and have been enjoying it alot. A number of nice steps forward have been made but there is also alot of stuff lacking which the community has been requested since OFP. What is bothering the most though is the same as Danczer states here. The current game has features which contain obvious bugs but these seem te be ignored. Alot of these bugs make it seem like you are playing an amature project and really kill immersion. My little list of stuff:

Basic stuff:

-Hot fences in thermal view. This bug was introduced a couple of months ago and seems pretty retarted, but still, it persists and seemingly no efforts at fixing it.

-No minimal hit value for armor (since OPF). Basically meaning even a pistol bullet will cause damage due to the old hitpoints system. Could easily be fixed by a minimal damage value for a weapon before it does actual damage to armor.

-Floating objects, all sorts of objects float just above ground level, especially far away objects.

-Flares not much brighter than a star or led. Flares are just useless and unrealistic because of this Obvious issue.

-ai in vehicles/objects with optical aids such as thermal view actually are far worse at spotting enemy inf through these optics than infantry without aids.

-AA vehicles are defenceless against ATGM equiped aircraft due to unrealistic radar.

Some more complex issues requiring more work (probably):

-Vehicle destruction always ending in the same violent explosion (since OFP). Some vehicles should simply get wrecked, others burn, some should have ammo cook-off.

-ai still have no clue about suppresive fire (since OFP)

-ai suck with anything involving vehicles. Pathfinding around vehicles and driving over roads and taking turns actually seems worse than in the original OFP.

Current unrealistic magical radar

-magically knows if vehicles are manned or not (and by which faction). Meaning you just press the target key and it will select the next enemy vehicle in range (even if the radar is not displaying it in green/red yet).

-all weapons fire and forget

-Radar should give targets, to be checked by gunner with optics for IFF and locking, and if needed tracking for non-fire and forget weapons.

Most complex issues I guess:

Outdated graphics techniques

-Only 1 shadow emmiting light??

Accurate damage models (visual mostly, but enhances immersion)

-Tracks running off/lost road wheels. Currently no visual signs to suggest damaged or destroyed tracks.

-Vehicle fires, but crew having a chance to escape before getting burned

-Side skirt damages/breaking off due to heavy HE shells/impacts from light anti tank weapons/crashing into objects

-Did I mention not everything should explode?

Looks like they fixed the Thermal bug today, sweet relief! Thanks BI.

On the Dev Branch then I assume? Because the bug is definatly still there in stable.

On the Dev Branch then I assume? Because the bug is definatly still there in stable.

Correct

-Fixed: Added missing material to last LODs of walls

This is caused by the terrain settings. If the server/mission is set to allow only the highest settings then this problem no longer happens. (a client can do this as well if the server/mission allows the lower levels or all levels).

We find restricting the server/mission to the highest setting ensures all round sameness settings for all, with no complaints about floating objects.

Its because the terrain setting not only affects the grass levels but also alters the topography of the terrain, causing objects that should be on the ground to float, especially when viewed over distance.

Init.sqf example :-

//--- set object , view , terrain
setViewDistance 1000;
setObjectViewDistance 1500;
setTerrainGrid 3.125;

Edited by BL1P

1- WWII targeting technology in fixed wing aircraft.

2- Hideous fxd wing aircraft flight model.

3- No autopilot, shouldn't be that hard.

4- Unreadable instruments in aircrafts, be it helos or planes.

5- How turrets work in helos and such: THEY ARE MISSING ONE AXIS OF MOVEMENT (axial rotation along the direction of the camera to stay level even if the a/c is banking)

Vehicle physics and vehicle damage.

I don't even care about how the AI wants to derp their way to the objective. You cant even get there when a sign or a bush can blow up your helicopter or turning a corner at 100kmh rolls your car. -___-

what is the most annoying thing for you in arma 3 . . .

The complaining. As far as MP servers containing RPG, AL, Zombie scenarios... what's that have to do with BI? I agree they're terrible, but it has nothing to do with Bi.

Yes they did, but there is a tons of common issues. At least there is a progress.

I still think, that they should focus more to fixing the existing features. Less is more if there are fewer issues. :)

I hope they will focus even more to fixing in the Marksman DLC or in the expansion.

I know helicopters are the main focus right now, but the fixed wings have always been completely neglected and really need some improvements to their flight model and damage modeling.