Sign in to follow this  
blow56

play withSix and awesomium

Just downloaded Play WithSix and, after a lot of puzzling trial and error (it isn't all that intuitively user friendly, is it?) finally manaqed to get it to recognise Arma III and then to download some of the mods I could never get to work with Steam. It sucks up about 717k of Meg even just standing still, but that's okay. I figure it is worth it.

Brilliant. I am playing with maps and mods I could not get before - then, suddenly, everything grinds to a halt. FPS is 1. I manage to get out to the Task Manager and discover multiple copies of Awesomium running. Awesomium? It's the worst-named process known to Man, a complete and utterly useless piece of programing that, when I kill it out of Task Manager, only IMPROVES the game by its absence. I am tempted to delete the damned thing - which I did not even know was downloaded to my system btw - but thought I would check. Discover that it is integral to PWS. Sigh.

Is there a way of preventing these multiple copies? Surely, even if they were running at start, with ads or whatever, they should stop at the launch of a game?

Sounds like you download PlayWithSix through some less the official means my friend...

And anyway, this forum isn't really for PlayWithSix (or seemingly malware) problems, but I will try to help you anyway.

In the event that this is actually an integral part to PWS (I wouldn't really know, I don't use it that much) than that means the problem probably isn't with the process itself, but one of the mods you are running and how it interacts with the process (again, not really sure how PWS works, just guessing here). I would try to run PWS with no mods, and see if the process still causes frame drop. If it does, I would go to the PWS website to see what the issue is.

Even though off-topic thread, awesomium_process is this: http://www.awesomium.com/

Can be found in many gamelaunchers and is part of their functionality, so if there's tons of them running it's either a windows hickup or problem with PWS itself. I never saw more than 2 running simultaneously myself.

You can make the PWS close when you launch the game. There's an option in the settings.

I never understood why such a simple looking program needs 700MB of memory even when it's not doing anything. Even Arma doesn't use that much. :)

Regarding many awesomium processes; there should generally be no more than 2 and they should use very little memory and cpu.

If you are seeing different numbers then generally something else is going on. Are you running any graphics related utilties (boosters, tweakers, etc)?

The option to turn PwS off on launch of game is something that might provide a quick workaround indeed.

Memory usage of Play is somewhat dynamic and depending on which features you access and how much memory you have free on your system.

If you have a lot of memory, the .NET framework virtual machine will tend to hold on to memory to give a better experience when accessing different parts of the program. Generally it is bad practice to just free up memory only to use it again a second or minute later and has performance implications.

That said, there is certainly room for further optimizations, and once we find an opportunity we will definitely look into it :)

Regarding usability and general improvements - we're working on them :)

For support you can always find us at http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171722-Discover-Play-Promote-missions-and-mods-withSIX or http://withsix.com/support

Downloaded PWS from their own website! As for the correct forum - well, it is about Arma 3 and it is nothing to do with malware; awesomium isn't malware. I am aware that some people had issues with it on other titles (it is used for more than a few) and always the same - multiple copies running at once. If you delete it, PWS asks for it to be reinstated at launch, so it IS integral and nothing to do with the mods. I just thought it might have been a long-term problem that PWS users had experienced and found a way to combat. Being able to turn PWS after launch sounds like a winner - I shall investigate. Thanks for all the helpful input and my apologies if I got the wrong forum post. Couldn't really think of another - and, besides, there are clearly so many good and informed people on this one!

The last time I used PWS it was very intuitive. Unless sickboy went haywire while I was away and turned it into six updater.

I love the play with six launcher, its helped me out alot because i ran into alot of troubles trying to get the mods to run by manual install

I have the same problem and it usually only happens when i use the built-in browser for playwithSIX. just pressing more info on a mod a few times or clicking on mod home page causes awesomium process to take up large amounts of memory to point of out of memory error and pw6 crash.

I workaround it by just finding the mods i want here on the forum,and find that mod in pw6, drag to my collection without bringing up additional menu's

Edited by mikey240

PWS user interface has always been a mess, even back in the days of 6updater. You just have to get used to it.