Sign in to follow this  
olli_

material splitting?

Hey are there any rules in RV4 with regards to splitting a model in to materials? I read somewhere that each moving part should have its own material, but im able to apply a single material to my whole model with lots of moving parts just fine.

also is there a connection between selections and materials? something like 1 selection = 1 material?

Not quite sure I understand completely. Pieces of a model can have separate rvmats(normals, spec, etc) if that's what your asking.

For example a hand. Each finger can have separate rvmats(materials), then you could highlight the fingernails, and give them seperate materials. I'll break it down to the smallest form. Faces. Each face can have only one texture/rvmat at a time(that I know of), but the face next to it can be completely seperate tex/rvmat

also is there a connection between selections and materials? something like 1 selection = 1 material?

no absolutely not. Performance wise it's best to have the least amount of materials possible. You can see the amount in objectbuilder, which is also called "sections" (they are not exactly just the amount of materials though - some info about sections you can get here)

the amount of selections however does not effect performance, at least i havent read anything about that anywhere.

I read somewhere that each moving part should have its own material, but im able to apply a single material to my whole model with lots of moving parts just fine.

That can't be correct. Characters are also only just one material, but almost every vertex moves differently. Maybe it applied to OFP (idk) but not arma.

Edited by Fennek