Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

[POLL] who bought arma 3 because of the game itself or community modifications

reason for buying arma games  

127 members have voted

1. 1. reason for buying arma games

• because of the game itself (Vanilla)
    • Community made addons etc that improve the game

just wanted to know an interested fact..

who bought the arma games because of the game itself?

or

who bought the arma games because of the community made modifications?

if its what I think it is then I think BI owe a lot to the community modders ;)

then dont vote and comment both, i should have added that on the poll :/

In my opinion the Arma series would have no sense without the community and the addons, and the editor.

( which doesn't mean that BI people had not made an awesome job, because they had )

Base game is good,but mods make it even better just imagine when Pohenix and DragonFyre,they are not being payed exept some donations and still they have nervs and will to do evrything for FREE and better than vanila game

mods are okay, but I bought the game for vanilla. That said, community made missions are a wonderful thing, I just don't like mods. I stopped using Blastcore and JSRS, and my average FPS went from ~20-30 to ~50-60.

Both. BUT without the community this game is long gone.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

mods are okay, but I bought the game for vanilla. That said, community made missions are a wonderful thing, I just don't like mods. I stopped using Blastcore and JSRS, and my average FPS went from ~20-30 to ~50-60.

I would say its your PC. I built a new rig and I get 60+ with no probs, MP, mods, whatever. It usually comes down to PC and/or interweb connect.

For me Arma 3 is solid without mods, if they make Arma 4 without modding it would still be a dead set purchase for me.

Also mods really lifted Arma 2 and I couldn't live without them, now in Arma 3 I'm happy enough with vanilla, great as an option but not vital.

Honestly, I bought it because it was on sale.

But the only reason why I play it is because of the mods, otherwise, the amount of content it has wouldn't cut it for me.

I see arma as a wonderful mod platform.

The main attractions for me are mods such as ACE 3 in the future hopefully and more importantly the community itself. The arma community for the most part is more mature though that has changed after dayz.

Because of community stuff. Game basically is still a mess. Dev's should get ... ok can't say that here.

Anyways..

Not possible to take them serious. These guys offering free weekends and now 50% discount after horrible patches. They are out of their mind.

I know it's sandbox bla bla...but there are still ridiculous things going on. That's why they don't earn credit...the community does.

---

Hope it's ok to post an opinion like that in the "official" forum.

Edited by baZti

I bought Arma 3 for vanilla because I thought it would be a vast improvement over Arma 2 with features like taking clothes to hide amongst the enemy, more indepth discussion for the sake of intel with civilians, attaching charges to vehicles, and diving. And while sadly only one of those features has made it to release, that doesn't stop me from loving this game greatly. I could still never go back to Arma 2, not even with mods like ACE or I44, because Arma 3 just feels so much better for me.

My only real issue with Arma 3 release is the gunplay in vanilla, and how making a shot doesn't feel as satisfying because you know it probably isn't a kill shot. Sure, it's lacking in content, and a few features demoed before release. But the result we have now is an incredibly more polished product with lovely features like Zeus, Virtual Arsenal, superior infantry movement, and even some little things now like door sounds or the sound of a gear going up in a L-159 ALCA as it takes off an Altian runway to go on an airstrike. Not to say the sounds couldn't use work, but everything could anyway. Sure optimisation remains kind of poor, but I still get higher frames here than on Arma 2! I don't know what I'd do without Arma 3.

Even with its share of disappointments, it remains superior in my heart to past entries into the Arma series.

Last time vanilla was decent was OFP. But even then I used tons of mods after a while. FDF etc.

Usermade missions were the bomb. Loved playing those online on the LOL-server.

Then came Domination/Evolution and now Invade & Annex. I love those too but the feeling is gone.

Get to AO, start shooting, die, repeat. Not much tactics involved. And no point either. Start using tactics and I won't have even 1 shot fired before AO is cleared.

Maybe not literally but you know what I mean. AOs are cleared so fast, you have to get there fast and just start shooting to get any action.

I've moved to my own missions.

Voted Mods.

Vanilla, mods, editor, and the cool missions that have been coming out since release.

Game is designed with mod capability in mind, and editing, so ideally there is no separate distinction, mods, and the extra content are really a bonus to the game.

Mods of course. If I had to play this with only the vanilla content I would have stoped after 20 hours or so already due to the small amount of content (Seriously FFS, even BF 4 has more unique vehicels than Arma 3 has) and never looked back.

Not really sure which way to vote: I bought it to make mods myself rather than for what other people might make. When I do actually want to play SP or MP I normally run the game pretty vanilla.

Much like Günter Severloh said; for me the modding tools and mission editor are as much a part of the core game as the MP servers or campaign and things, so I don't really see the distinction when it comes to my enjoyment of the product.

Edited by da12thMonkey

I bought Arma 3 because of Arma 2. I loved Arma 2 because it had a certain feel to it. Tactical play, a priority if you want to get any great experience out of this series. But not just that. Arma 2 had tons of content, but it was used in a way that was brilliant. I bought Arma 3, because i wanted to see the same thing, but done better, and to a certain extent, that's what the Base of Arma 3 sits on. It's simply missing the content however, but i already know the whole theme of Arma was changed, and they had to change everything because of it. Not only that, but the whole delay because of their DEV's going to Greece. Anyhow, the delay's aside though, i still love Arma, it's Unique. But all it is, is potential Energy. With the amount of things that are not in game that would make gameplay infantry wise, and asset wise more robust, it's simply potential waiting to be released. That's what i'm waiting for with Arma 3, and that's why i bought it, because of what it can be capable of, and what it will be in the end, in all it's glorious features and sandbox content that's yet to come.

Bought in alpha with vanilla -- and the chance to give feedback during the "alpha" and "beta" periods -- in mind, mods were just a bonus.

Bam, what froggyluv said: the engine alone and the new setting, just for not being 1950s-2010s had me sold.

Vanilla, mods, editor, and the cool missions that have been coming out since release.

Game is designed with mod capability in mind, and editing, so ideally there is no separate distinction, mods, and the extra content are really a bonus to the game.

+1

Modding is an integral part of the game, and as such this poll only serves to create unnecessary conflict.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Would never have bought this game if modding didn't exist.

Both...where goes Arma goes some if the most talented modders:)

You always get one with the other:)