Sign in to follow this  
sgtsev3n

Modders, why dont you join BI ?

Hello,

my question to Modders: why dont you join Bohemia Interactive ?

Modders could help BI to improve the game. for example:

JSRS. If he would join BI and work on ArmA 3 sounds, BI would get huge help from JSRS in terms of improving sounds.

same for Alive, they could help BI to add new modules or help them by Mission creating.

The creator of blastcore could help BI to improve and add new effects.

alone if these modders would join BI, then BI would get massive help in sounds, mission/modules and effects.

and all would profit from it:

these modders would be a part of BI and would get paid for theyr work.

BI would get massive help

and ofcourse the players who would get the updates for theyr game.

now there are some very good AI mods out there, if these guys would join BI, they could help BI to improve the AI.

same for the ACE team and content creators who could bring new content (jets, helicopters, weapons etc) into the game.

Because if they joined BI they would have quit their respective jobs and possibly relocate. Moreover. BI would have to pay them for something they already provide for free.

I might add that the difference between a modder and an employe is the freedom to do whatever you want to.

If, in a fantastic world, we were all to work for BI like mercenaries, things wouldn't be so fantastic after all...

I might add that the difference between a modder and an employe is the freedom to do whatever you want to.

If, in a fantastic world, we were all to work for BI like mercenaries, things wouldn't be so fantastic after all...

I agree

That, and BI would in return have to actually want the modder enough to make an offer... which might not be enough (money/perks) for the modder's taste, especially if the modder has to relocate (I understand that there are four offices in the Czech Republic and one in Slovakia).

A modder does what they want to, a worker-for-BI (employee or contractor) does what the project lead (who may have wildly differing opinions from the worker) tells them to...

EDIT: Just found this link, which specifies that the person must also be proficient in English or Czech AND must be willing to live in the Czech Republic.

Edited by Chortles

Plus you most likely need certain degrees which a modder, while possessing great scripting knowledge, may not have.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot this, but some guys won't stand for being rushed -- which can make them anathema to a game developer studio. Heck, a DC/Marvel comic book analogy could be that some artists keep getting work not because they're "good" so much as they're "reliable"/more consistently on time than "better" artists...

you have access to the Dev version of the game and provide whatever feedback and they make the final decision (one real reason I don't bother, BIS does what it wants in the long run so I just don't feel like bothering honestly)
Presumably this is another breaking point (pun not intended) for other modders as well. Edited by Chortles

Okay back when LOMAC was just starting to become a reality I wanted to become a beta tester. Cool shit right? But who are you? What have you done to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack? In order to at least get looked at you gotta set yourself away from the pack and then they'll decide whether or not you'll be included into the "fold" to whatever degree they want to use you as. Beta testing is out of the window because you have access to the Dev version of the game and provide whatever feedback and they make the final decision (one real reason I don't bother, BIS does what it wants in the long run so I just don't feel like bothering honestly) but you have to show skill beyond everybody else, that's what gets you noticed. A prime example is Nephilim, she's a shit hot 3D artist that I believe around 2004-05ish she was at least doing work for BIA or even BIS, so it takes time and patience to get "noticed" to a degree by developers. You just can't walk in here, do a mod an all of a sudden BIS is asking you. Kinda like the guy from Coretex I had to say no to because I sent him samples of my Super Hornet work to him, and he liked it and asked me a week or two ago, and had to decline because I do freelance work for clans in Arma 3, and so on. It's all about reputation.

Plus you most likely need certain degrees which a modder, while possessing great scripting knowledge, may not have.

This is rubbish :)

If I as business owner see someone with great talent who has been around the company for years (reliable) and putting out great and useful work, then I don't care if they dropped out of highschool. If hiring them would increase the value of the company then I would hire them.

One issue with 'the modders' is how much time is put in and how much marketable value comes out the other end. Some of the modders put huge hours into their projects. These huge hours would cost $$$ if employed. The outcome is nice, but not necessarily raising the value of the company enough to justify the time cost.

And as another poster said, there are people doing this for free already.

One issue with 'the modders' is how much time is put in and how much marketable value comes out the other end. Some of the modders put huge hours into their projects. These huge hours would cost $$$ if employed.
Bam, answered it in one go (insofar as how/why BI hires/contracts).

I think one time BI did try and approach me before A3, i was contacted via PM to get on Skype but it got left at that after i asked why, no offence intended. And if it was what i thought it was at the time then i proberly woundnt have been interested because at the time i was running my own business but who knows.

As other people have already pointed out the offer would have to be pretty decent enough for me to uproot and move to a foreign country and work in a office with someone else directing the ideas. It would appeal to someone half my age whos not so planted, but i am already 30 and own a house, car & friends. Ive worked in modding for proberly 15yrs now, i worked on Insurgency mod during its development stages for a few years as one of the lead designers, and a few of the members i worked with then moved onto some gaming studios and from what i heard it wasnt all that super it was made out to be.

I have worked as a contractor for a few game studios after i left the mod for a couple of years but most of which were just hot air and piss. Its really remarkable how some people manage to get the support they need for these games from some publisher because they did some college course and got a degree or whatever in video game design they may have good idea but they are total fffking assholes when it comes to working for them and alot of the time they again want you to move so they can rape ya face off in person when you anit doing what they want even the impossible. Ive got a few stories, like one designer i knew who was a really nice bloke from Germany was asked to fly to the US for a chat about going full-time they said they would pay for his flight over, so he went and it wasnt for him so he declined the offer and then they just left him in the US apparently just got up and walked out the fucking restaurant and he had to pay for his flight back and ended his contract the next day whilst he was still flying back and he had a big legal battle for ages. All they want is monies and everybody else including their employees is just someone to shit on. So yea after that i was kinda was turned off by the whole thing and moved back into modding and went a different direction keeping my hobby as a hobby and job as a job, sometimes turning your hobby into a job is good if you find the right people but i did not.

If Valve themselves phoned up and said want a job then i would move my ass cause from what i hear they are pretty cool to work for, but most of the time its like a generation of EA bosses had kids and gave them the keys to the game bus. But im sure there are some decent people to work for out there im sure BI is one.

Edited by Opticalsnare