Sign in to follow this  
syco

Realistic fires w/ black smoke & realistic sounds

Anyone know how/where I can get realistic fires (keep in mind that I am NOT happy with the CatFires offered for download (either to big, too small or unrealistic annoying sound). I'd like the fire to have plenty of black smoke, and NOT bog down frame rate too much. Am I asking the impossible?

Anyone?

You can create fire effects yourself with the drop command. You have just to play around with parameters.

And I don't think that the frame-rate drop is avoidable. The best solution is to use either small cloudlets or being in a distance.

Only for notice:

drop command only works in Resistance. In 1.46 there is no drop command.

You got me with the whole "drop command" thing my friend. Would you (or anyone else) care to elaborate a little?

use the search function of the forum and search for "drop command". There already have been topics on this issue.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Oct. 06 2002,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">use the search function of the forum and search for "drop command". There already have been topics on this issue.<span id='postcolor'>

Negative ghostrider! I've tried searching for "drop command, drop command, drop AND command, etc. and STILL I get nothing of use in return. next suggestion?

try this:

create an sqs file called fire containing this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

_posDrop = _this select 0

_velocity = _this select 1

_lifeTime = _this select 2

_intensity = _this select 3

_object = _this select 4

_delay = 0.3

_lifeTicks = _lifeTime / _delay

_lifeTick = _lifeTicks

#Begin

drop ["cl_fire", "", "Billboard", 1, 1.5, _posDrop, [(_velocity select 0) + random 0.3, (_velocity select 1) + random 0.3, (_velocity select 2) + random 0.3], 1, 0.004, 0.004, 0.1, [(0.1 + 0.2 * _lifeTick/_lifeTicks) * _intensity, (0.1 + 0.5 * _lifeTick/_lifeTicks) * _intensity, (0.1 + 0.1 * _lifeTick/_lifeTicks) * intensity], [[1,1,1,0], [1,1,1,1], [1,1,1,0.6], [1,1,1,0]], [0,1,0], 0.5, 0.05, "", "", _object]

~_delay

_lifeTick = _lifeTick - 1

?_lifeTick > 0 : goto "Begin"

exit

<span id='postcolor'>

now create another sqs file named smoke containing this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

_posDrop = _this select 0

_object = _this select 3

_delay = 0.3

_lifeTicks = _lifeTime / _delay

_lifeTick = _lifeTicks

#Begin

drop ["cl_basic", "", "Billboard", 1, 10, _posDrop, _velocity, 1, 0.005, 0.0042, 0.5, [0.2,10], [[0,0,0,0], [0.3,0.3,0.3,1 * _lifeTick/_lifeTicks], [0.8,0.8,0.8,0.1 * _lifeTick/_lifeTicks], [0.8,0.8,0.8,0]], [0,1,0,1,0,1], 0.2, 0.2, "", "", _object]

~_delay

_lifeTick = _lifeTick - 1

?_lifeTick > 0 : goto "Begin"

exit<span id='postcolor'>

create a 3rd sqs file named firesource containing this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">_posDrop = _this select 0

_intensity = _this select 3

_object = _this select 4

; Fire

[_posDrop, [0,0,0], _lifeTime, _intensity, _object] exec "fire.sqs"

; Smoke

[_posDrop, _velocity, _lifeTime, _object] exec "smoke.sqs"<span id='postcolor'>

in order to bring them all together and create the fire/smoke...place any object in the editor and name it smoker(you may use an invisible helecopter pad if you want to precisely place the fire) and place the following in the init box of the unit:

[[getPos smoker select 0,getPos smoker select 1,(getPos smoker select 2)+.25], [0,0,1], 600, 3, "" ] exec "firesource.sqs"; <span id='postcolor'>

when calling these scripts from the init you can change the following:

600 in the above = number of seconds for fire to burn

3 in the above = size of fire (larger is bigger fire)

+.25 in the above = height above ground to place fire

hope this helps some folks out!

YOU sir are my newest best friend. Thanks!