Sign in to follow this  
zukov

Melee Closecombat Fight, Takedowns & Knife

I don't like it, to be honest.

Yes, some hand to hand combat would be nice, and the animations are great but the whole feel is too arcade-y

My suggestion would be to do away with the neck twist thing (that's just not how it works in real life) and turn these into captive-taking animations. For stealth killing all we need is a simpler stab animation. But these animations would all be really neat if instead of stabbing or breaking the guy's neck, he handcuffed him/ziptied his hands.

For the standing one, he could keep his knee on his back while he tied him, and for the naked choke one he could cuff him while he was unconscious before he woke up (I used to wrestle, and I can say from experience that someone who's been choked out like that wakes up quite quickly - in 10-30 seconds).

i agree is a bit exagerated, but when i see good animation in arma i'm happy- ;) the first video remembers me a russian "systema"

I just don't want to be animation locked while his buddies spin around and turn me into swiss cheese.

I just don't want to be animation locked while his buddies spin around and turn me into swiss cheese.

I wouldn't want to be caught trying to twist someone's head off while his buddies hang around IRL either. Animation lock or not, if you're surrounded by bad guys when you try this, you deserve the ganking you're about to receive.

I don't like it, to be honest.

Yes, some hand to hand combat would be nice, and the animations are great but the whole feel is too arcade-y

My suggestion would be to do away with the neck twist thing (that's just not how it works in real life) and turn these into captive-taking animations. For stealth killing all we need is a simpler stab animation. But these animations would all be really neat if instead of stabbing or breaking the guy's neck, he handcuffed him/ziptied his hands.

For the standing one, he could keep his knee on his back while he tied him, and for the naked choke one he could cuff him while he was unconscious before he woke up (I used to wrestle, and I can say from experience that someone who's been choked out like that wakes up quite quickly - in 10-30 seconds).

I agree, I think some kinda of captive animations used to properly secure surrendering units would be awesome. Going beyond the Altis life style glitch arrest mod and having BI develop a true system to deal with POW's would make missions both co-op and PvP way better.

That first move with the double leg could be countered with a quick rotation on the down and the fight off your back. The second one is sweet -pure Jit with hooks and everything :p

I'd be pissed if that happened to me and I had no way to counter -but then you'd need to merge Arma with UFC Undisputed.

Zukov, your examples look great. Anyway, I've always wondered why there is not the faintest close combat in the Arma series. At least a single, boring knife attack animation (for gameplay, not cutscenes). Sadly, the Arma engine is absolutely not made for melee combat/attacks. Even the DayZ standalone is still burdened with this heritage. There it still looks and feels clumsy, mod-dish and workaround-ish.

Zukov, your examples look great. Anyway, I've always wondered why there is not the faintest close combat in the Arma series. At least a single, boring knife attack animation (for gameplay, not cutscenes). Sadly, the Arma engine is absolutely not made for melee combat/attacks. Even the DayZ standalone is still burdened with this heritage. There it still looks and feels clumsy, mod-dish and workaround-ish.

i'm not so sure that ARMA is not fit melee, if you think at the pistols in A2 and a1 was unusable now in A3 are very enjoyables (i'm a fan of RH pistols pack) why not for takedown and knife? this videos are showing us the potential regarding animation on RV4.

I see evrybody is saying that this is not needed etc. I think nobody will start doing takedown in the war but sometimes if you are doing pvp or a mission or when u catch ai alone this would be neat to do,i voted on Make Arma not war hope this thing will win :) Good luck guys

Yeah.

I can think of a good scenario for it:

You stand on a rainy street in Grozny, as the sun goes down.

Between two ruined apartment blocks, a Russian police officer is watching over a marketplace, from an adjacent alleyway.

He lights a ciggarete as his friend walks up, and they start talking, both overlooking the market.

Your friend gives the signal, you snap one guys neck, and your buddy shoots the other in the head with his supressed makarov, using the last 2 bullets you had, you steal their AKs and run back to your car.

(if you like it, feel free to use for manw promo)

I think it looks really cool. Not perfect but the best melee so far I've seen since OFP. Your on the right path, interested to see more. I'd def try it out. No melee aspect in arma will be perfect, but something is better than nothing. Cheers

I see evrybody is saying that this is not needed etc. I think nobody will start doing takedown in the war but sometimes if you are doing pvp or a mission or when u catch ai alone this would be neat to do,i voted on Make Arma not war hope this thing will win :) Good luck guys

Well in the middle of the fight everyone use whatever means available to neutralize the opponent. That's precisely why in the military academy they teach martial arts ( I even practiced on my free time with the guys from spec. for. that were living in my building, obviously I asked them to take it easy with me, that I still wanted to live for years ).

To me it would be cool IMO to introduce melee combat, specially for CQB or infiltrations.

The problem with this, and many other things with ArmA, is that it isnt seamless.

Here its easy to see its a scripted animation, because of the reset stance and all, and this would be the case if it was implemented as well. Atleast in stances and position.

I see this everywhere.

I think it's really neat! Definitely the best implementation of melee i've seen in an Arma game!

Don't let the people who are saying they don't like it keep you from continuing on the project. :)

yeah cool stuff.

here's a few A2 workarounds we've been playing with, for inspiration, or just to share the vibe...

Von Knudenberg and I had been messing with script vs anim approach for combat takedowns and knifing for unsung and modern in A2...

VK's fully animated chokehold kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSh2eSy_MU&hd=1

VK's knife stab and throat cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK9ofLwdDvE&hd=1

VK's full-on barfight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQaAgZd8pmw

my animated fast knife throw (we also have stab, butt bash and bayonet thrust in unsung mod in A2)

this has the early non animated use of knife (3.00 to 4.00mins) which shows combat use potential

all good fun lol - keep on it man. it's really cool to have this stuff in the game as it really works out in CQB sometimes and saves your ass. it can also be very atmospheric in SP campaigns etc...

Edited by eggbeast

DayZ SA did it well with meele combat. I wish to see something from that spirit in Arma as well, but more advanced and military-style if possible (and it is possible!).

As for the last video, it would look natural if the rifle butting also came with him taking half a step forward at the same time. You would do that to obtain enough thrust. Other than that, I hope it can become gameplay material, would be cool in stealth ops

-OP

Looks...interesting to say the least, not sure if I'd ever use it though a mechanic to use a knife would be nice!

@Zukov - Great work on this, I am really looking forward to it. Do you still plan on releasing it today?

@Zukov - Great work on this, I am really looking forward to it. Do you still plan on releasing it today?

is not my work is a project by russian guys that post their work only on armaholich