Sign in to follow this  
persius

New to arma and request help

I've had the opportunity to figure out most of the challenges on my own so far but there remain a few more questions which I can't find answers to so I hope somebody will be able to assist.

The questions are related to flying the UAV Grayhawk (with missiles).

1. When flying I don't know how to lock onto targets and fire the missiles. How is this done please? There is a video on youtube but it doesn't explain this action.

2. The text & video's I've seen suggest that I can place waypoints on the map for the UAV to follow. In Arma, how many waypoints can I lay down for the UAV to follow? To put it another way, I'd like the UAV to fly a straight path over the enemy positions so I can release weapons but so far all I can do is have it fly in circles around the combat zone.

3. One of the options that can be assigned to the UAV is "search and destroy". How exactly does this work? So far I've only been playing on my own to learn the basics and this option doesn't seem to do anything for me so either it only applies when playing online or I'm overlooking something obvious because the UAV does nothing other than fly.

Lastly, I'm having some trouble finding information on how to configure my mic so I can use it. Where can I find information on using the mic?

Thank you.

1. Check out your keybindings under 'Configure' to find your Lock target key.

Mine look like this:

Lock Target: "T"

Reveal Target: "T"

Next Target: <blank>

Next Empty Target: <blank>

Next Target (In Vehicle): "R"

Next Empty Vehicle: <blank>

That way you look at a target and press 'T' to lock on. You can cycle through radar contacts with 'R.' I left the others blank because I personally consider it cheating to be able to cycle through infantry targets, because infantry's only protection from vehicles is being able to hide (especially from fixed wing aircraft) and using "next target" ruins that ability.

2. When you are assigning UAVs waypoints, just hold down LCtrl and you can add as many as you want. Place a waypoint way before the target and way after.

Using Bombs:

As the UAV flies at the target, assume control of the UAV's turret.

Switch to your "laser designator" weapon and press the left mouse button to turn on the laser. It helps if you switch to FLIR WHOT to see the spot better. Now that the laser is on, point the laser at your target. Now switch weapons to the "GBU-12." Press 'R' (if you're using my locking keybinds setup) to lock on to the laser targeting spot. Hold the laser on target. When you see a diamond appear over the white box, click and a bomb will launch. Keep the laser on target until the bomb strikes and the target will be killed.

While using the Scalpel missiles, you can do the same as above, or you can just lock the target (if it's a vehicle).

3. Search and destroy should just command the UAV to look for targets and kill them. It may be a little broken for UAVs, but UGVs like the Stomper RCWS do it fine.

Just issue a waypoint near where you think there are enemy forces, and set the waypoint behavior to "Open fire, Engage at Will." When the Stomper detects targets, it should open fire and attempt to kill them.

Most of the mic configuration is probably on your computer's end.

Controls for Multiplayer VOIP can be found under "Multiplayer" in the controls setup. Under the "Audio" setup, you can configure the volume for yours and other people's microphones.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for getting back and your tips. When I first read that selecting targets was done with the "t" key I started to scratch my head because when I'm using anti-tank weapons the "t" works fine and for some reason it won't do a thing with the UAV. I'll go into the configure page like you suggested and take another look.

As for the other answers, I'll print out your letter and go through it step by step.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

No problem.

If you have any problems, I could probably whip up a quick tutorial video just so that I can explain it more visually in game (if that'll help you learn).

Cheers, and welcome to arma.

Also, I suggest once you start to fly aircraft you rebind the keys for it, I much prefer the keys that arma 2 used for aircraft, and it might be easier to learn with a less illogical key setup (the arma 2 one makes more sense I think).

If you need to know what that setup is just look it up, but when my friends who are new to arma play arma 3, they get very confused at the aircraft controls and usually doing some rebinding helps them.

Also if you need anymore help you can PM me whenever.

Hi guys.

I'm replying to both at once. To DG, your list really helped and I'm finally able to get the UAV working properly. One question that came up while flying was related to the laser. When activated I see the indicator icon but how do I turn it off? Each time I press the mouse button I fire off a missile. The only way that I can deactivate it is to release all control of the UAV.

The last question is to either of you regarding the UAV. What is the altitude range for firing missles, bombs etc. from UAV's? I noticed that when I'm flying the tracking system is a little sensitive and temperamental so I need to unlock and then lock on a second time if not third. Does this have something to do with altitude? D.G. You were correct with the "T" option to lock targets but that always doesn't work so I need to press "R" once or twice to get the tracking system activated and working. Is this normal for the UAV?

The last detail now is just getting the mic set up and working. Everything else seems to work for me so now I'll just get the mic up and running and log on and join a team.

MikeTim. I hear what you're saying about the keys. I fly Falcon 4 and that is the mother of all keyboard shortcut simulators. If I can figure that thing out and fly it then I'll get used to Arma 3's keys :)

Thanks again to both of your replies.

Turning off the laser is the same as turning it on. The "switch weapons" key you used to switch from laser to missiles should cycle back to the laser if pressed again. Then you can press your "fire" button (in this case probably Left Mouse Button) to turn it off the same way it turned on.

Are you talking about locking on to a vehicle or the laser?

Altitude/range for missiles is simple: the maximum range is as far as you can see, and the minimum range is as fast as the missile can turn. If you notice that the missile cannot turn fast enough to hit the target, you are too close/aiming too far off axis.

For bombs, it is a little more complex because bombs change direction and move much more slowly. They cannot turn very much or seek out a target far away.

For best results, fly straight and level, high above the target. The higher you are, the more time the bomb will have to adjust its flight path. That means you will have more time locked on (and therefore to drop bombs) if you are higher up. It also makes you less of a target.

Could you describe your issues with targeting a little more clearly? I'm not quite sure what you meant there

It's nice to hear that you're into Falcon 4, I'm into DCS myself and it's always nice to occasionally see some people who like flying as much as I do (I personally play arma almost exclusively for aircraft).

I'm trying to recall exactly what I did with the laser.

1. Once I'm airborne I select "manual fire"

2. I then press "F" to select "laser" and then "F" again to switch to missiles.

3. I can now select targets and launch the missiles.

4. Once I'm done releasing missiles I select "cancel manual fire", I press "F" once again to turn off the laser, now, here is the issue for me. I am still able to fire off missiles (if any are left) even though I selected "cancel manual fire". This is the part that confuses me. I guess what I'm asking is where is the master arm switch to prevent releasing weapons by accident?

As I was landing the UAV I thought I had deactivated the launch system and as I'm landing I accidentally fired off a rocket that nearly destroyed the UAV as it was landing. Not good.

As for everything else you wrote I agree with it and it makes sense so that's ok at this end for me.

Any thoughts?

Are you doing this from the UAV pilot's seat?

This should be done from the UAV turret/gunner's seat. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Use the UAV terminal to give the UAV a "destroy" objective on the target. This way you will be sure the UAV is flying directly at the target. Set the WP altitude to at least 200m.

Hop into the UAV's turret. Switch to laser, turn it on. Manually point it at the target (using FLIR WHOT mode by pressing N twice will help). Because the turret is ground stabilized, once you have the laser on the target, it should stay there.

Switch to the weapon, whichever it is (AGM or GBU). Press 'R' to acquire the laser. Proceed as normal.

Manual fire works I suppose, in that case it'll work just like it does in a plane. Unfortunately there is not safety or master arm switch (even though it would be nice).

I just prefer to use the turret because as you engage, etc. you can recon the area for enemy units, instead of just doing a hit and run. If you are firing by locking onto the laser, you can manually shift your point of aim while the missile or bomb is in flight, and it will correct its trajectory as it travels, which is pretty cool.

Ok, I'll give it a try and see where I went wrong.

I'll let you know later.

Hi DG

As much as I hate to be here posting another question, something keeps popping up that catches me off guard. I'm playing the very last scenario in the single player campaign where I'm taking my squad into the town to secure it. I have a UAV at my disposal and I'm trying to use it to knock out the enemy armor. For some reason I can't fire the rockets in this campaign. Everything works fine when I'm testing the UAV in the "Nato" testing grounds but applying all of the same techniques to completing the campaign just won't work.

hmm, are you sure it's not a 'CAS' UAV? (the one with bombs instead of missiles)

That's the only thing I can really think of, unless the UAV's armaments were purposely removed (to make it surveillance-only)

it's been a while since I did my last play through of the campaign and I can't remember the mission you're talking about, is killing the armor a specific objective? it's possible they intend for you to just avoid the armor. Are you supplied with any other ways to destroy the armor (AT riflemen and such)?

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. The UAV being used has six missiles under the wings. If I only use the artillery which is at my disposal I am limited to 3 fire missions which is far below what is required to win this mission. It's no big deal really and I was just trying to apply the UAV along with its weapons to the scenario so I can become familiar with it. I'll go back and try again but the only hassle is I need to restart the mission and work my way up to that point before I can take command of the UAV. Oh well, that's just how things are I suppose.

The final mission has me leading a squad into a small town to secure it. I first need to take out the infantry unit which is supported by a APC. Once they have been neutralized part 2 of the mission begins with tanks and other APC's supported by infantry start moving into the town and I need to knock everything out. Clearly it can't be done with infantry alone so I have to use the artillery along with the UAV to accomplish the mission. I'll go and restart it again and listen the CO as he instructs me how the UAV is to be used. Maybe it's one of those missions where you are down to just being alone and your entire squad is killed off and now it's a fight to the bitter end. Either way, I'll give it another try.

It's a good idea for newcomers to forget about playing pre-packaged missions at first, and simply set up something in the editor to play around with on an uncluttered clean slate.

For example it only took me 2 minutes to create this Darter UAV setup in the editor so's I could have fun learning to fly it around to eyeball people and things-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175240-Weapon-tests/page18

Likewise in this simple setup I had fun using a Darter to lase targets so my Wipeout could drop laser-guided bombs on them-

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?175240-Weapon-tests/page22