Sign in to follow this  
toadeater

New york times says ofp #1 military sim

Today's New York Times Circuits section had a review of military sims like Navy Seals and IGI 2, and talked about the current state of the genre in general. At the end of the review they said:

"Those that want the ultimate experience in realistic warfare will continue playing Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis."

That's right. They didn't say BF1942, or America's Army, or IGI 2, or Counterstrike, they said OFP! biggrin.gif

Repent, all you non-believers! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (toadeater @ Oct. 04 2002,05:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Those that want the ultimate experience in realistic warfare will continue playing Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis."

That's right. They didn't say BF1942, or America's Army, or IGI 2, or Counterstrike, they said OFP!  biggrin.gif

Repent, all you non-believers!  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

nope..sorry that is wrong.

it should be:

"Those that want the ultimate experience in realistic warfare will continue playing Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis AND Resistance."   biggrin.gif

They said "...and Resistance"? Hmm, I didn't notice that. Ok. biggrin.gif

I read the print version of the article today. Through the whole thing I was thinking "they better mention OFP," and they actually did.

You would'nt by judging only from GS assistance. I'm having a hard time finding a decent server these days... sad.gif

try playing on a squad server, you usually get a good game on there, admitidly though, the ingame browser doesnt bring many resukts up sad.gif

psst...try 80.78.226.24:3200 SWAF European 2 Server wink.gif

Opf(:R) is the Daddy, make no mistake smile.gif

OFP:R is the best game ever.....next to MOHAA, please do not shoot me. confused.giftounge.gif OFPR was great, awsome storyline, great fights, awsome missions. I liked MOHAA better becuase it was WW2 and the sound did not cut out. biggrin.gif

you are on crack dude. There is no way on earth that MOHAA is better than OFP. I'll forgive you this one, seeing as how a hyperactive monkey has obviously hijacked your keyboard, and you probably have several nasty bites and scratches to deal with at the moment...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Oct. 05 2002,01:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you are on crack dude. There is no way on earth that MOHAA is better than OFP. I'll forgive you this one, seeing as how a hyperactive monkey has obviously hijacked your keyboard, and you probably have several nasty bites and scratches to deal with at the moment...<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Anyways. MOHAA is a typical FPS. There is nothing special on it. It is a fun game, but i got tired of it after two days of playing. biggrin.gif Enemy AI are like robots. They can magicly spot you when you're close enough. confused.gif I don't think that's fun. That game would be fun IF it would be more realistic. Driving a Tiger tank was like driving a toy (it was fun though). Battlefield 1942 is even worse. biggrin.gif

As for the sound Duke, try to uninstall your graphic drivers and install different drivers (different version). You can also try to manually delete all directx files from your computer and then install directx again.

I need to do that, but still I think MOHAA is better, and it was not a monkey it was a crazy sloth who did some meth. tounge.gif I like MOHAA becuase its ww2, among other reasons. I will have to say though OFP slightly beats MOHAA in realism. tounge.gif

Stick to the topic or this goes bye bye smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I will have to say though OFP slightly beats MOHAA in realism<span id='postcolor'>

Slighty?!

Its good news that OFP has been recognised as such. Its till surprising that many people haven't heard of it. I suppose because it wasn't rammed down peoples throats by Satanware/EA.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Oct. 04 2002,07:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you'd need to have an account with NYtimes.com<span id='postcolor'>

any other means? I don't want my email filled with more spam to view this kodak moment confused.gif

Feel free to log in with our OFPN account smile.gif

Username: ofpn1

Password: flashpoint

To the chap who said his sound was cutting out:

I use an SB Audigy. Recently, I switched to XP (from 98SE) and for the first time experienced the sound cutting out. I have not bothered to find a fix yet, but yes, get some fresh drivers. It's almost certainly an XP-specific problem.

Prospero

To save you having to login / create an account here is the text of the page, there were no graphics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Armored Archer or Navy Seal?

By CHARLES HEROLD

YOUNG boy is shouting in my ear. "Would everyone please vote off Quickandpainless? He keeps shooting me. Why is he shooting people on his own team? I always have to shoot him first before he kills me!"

I am playing Socom: U.S. Navy Seals, from Zipper Interactive, one of the first games to take advantage of the PlayStation 2's new online capabilities. Socom comes with its own headset, which is what allows me to hear the fury in the young boy's voice.

Socom has both online and offline play, but the two are very different. In the offline version, the player commands a four-man Seal team, and the game is primarily one of stealth, as you infiltrate a terrorist stronghold and kill the enemy one at a time and try to remain undiscovered. These missions are tricky, and each must be played many times before you manage to complete all your tasks.

The best thing about Socom is the headset, which allows you to relay commands to the other members of your team. Hold down a button and say, "Bravo, run to Charlie," and one of your men will take his position at Checkpoint Charlie. You can order ambushes and have your men throw grenades through windows.

In theory, the same thing could be done in online play. Socom allows the creation of "clans" for online play. A clan could be well organized, with a commander and a strategy, but the online teams on which I played were loose-knit, with no command structure and no guarantee that you would not be shot by a teammate. The goal was simply to kill everyone on the other team, although some games include hostage rescues or planting bombs in enemy territory.

If you die, you can discuss the game with other dead players. Such conversations range from that threat against Quickandpainless to admiring the best players to strategic planning along the lines of, "This guy always comes up through here; let's ambush him." But during battle, people work independently, with little or no conversation.

It seems odd to have a stealth game with an online component that does not lend itself to stealth. Stealth missions work when the enemy does not know you are there, but online, you know there is an enemy and where they will be coming from. As a result, one tends to run around shooting people in a mad rush.

For me, the intricate single-player Socom was far more interesting than the online slaughter. In the online gaming context, Socom was not a standout in comparison with, say, Half-Life Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike somehow feels more realistic than Socom, which is closer in spirit to games like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which uses realistic elements of war to flavor the game rather than attempt a true battle simulation. Those seeking the ultimate in war simulation games will, of course, continue playing Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis.

Online and offline gaming are quite different, and each has its proponents. A reader wrote me to say he thought the camaraderie and teamwork in online play were so superior to the experience in single-player games that the latter will eventually die out. For other people, the carefully constructed challenges possible in single-player games seem far more interesting than the loosely structured online action.

One great thing about offline game play is that you do not have to figure out how to get a game connected to the Internet. After a discussion with Sony technical support, I found that to play online with my PlayStation 2, I had to disconnect my cable modem from my computer, reset my modem by unplugging it, and then go online.

Using my PC to get online isn't much better. When I decided to try out the online component of The Creative Assembly's war strategy game Medieval: Total War, I found I had to disable my software firewall. Then the game required me to type in a special code, something that I had to do repeatedly because the printed code supplied with the game included characters that could be either zero or the letter O. While Socom lets you drop in, find a running game and start playing, Medieval's abundance of small games involves chatting with people who are looking for a game before you can set one up, and I could not find anyone to play with. Fortunately, Medieval is tremendous fun to play against the computer.

Patterned after board war games like Risk, Medieval gives the player an empire to run. You form alliances, try to keep your subjects happy and defend your lands against invading armies. You can choose to bring glory to your empire either by performing glorious deeds or by taking over the world. Although I started off trying to perform glorious deeds, I quickly became a madman bent on world conquest.

Medieval is really two games. One is an elaborate strategy board game in which you move troops and emissaries from one province to the next, improve your technology and train your armies. The other is a real-time 3-D battle in which you command your troops against the enemy.

When you invade a country or are invaded, you can let the computer decide who wins based on the strength of your forces, or you can go into battle. Those with a talent for military strategy will be able to best superior forces, while less capable warriors will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

The battle system is extremely detailed. One can position troops for strategic advantage, for example, placing archers behind spearmen so they can fire unmolested or hiding foot soldiers behind trees in preparation for an ambush. Troops are full of energy when a battle begins, but after running around and fighting they tire, move more slowly and fight less effectively.

If it is raining, your archers will miss their targets more often. If your general is killed or captured, your troops will panic. If a squad's position is overrun by the enemy, they will run away.

At first I was invading countries right and left, but I soon discovered that I had spread my resources too thin, and my unhappy subjects revolted in a couple of provinces. Meanwhile, the Sicilians chased me out of Serbia.

I needed to improve my army, so I built spear makers and horse farmers so I could train spearmen and cavalry. I built a brothel so I could recruit spies. Then I ran out of money and had to raise everyone's taxes.

After finally building up my forces and taking back Serbia, I spent years strengthening my army and improving my technology, occasionally marrying off a princess to form an alliance. (The game is turn-based; you choose a series of actions, like training soldiers, that will take place over a year.) Looking up, I realized I had been at my computer for 10 hours straight.

While playing it, I began to wonder if this is how the world looks to those in power. I can imagine President Bush wanting to move some troops into Iraq while his friends sit around saying, "I don't think that's a good move." I would probably send in the troops; if I wound up losing, I could always start a new game.

<span id='postcolor'>

Edit: RalphWiggum: made the sentence bold.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Oct. 12 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To the chap who said his sound was cutting out:

I use an SB Audigy. Recently, I switched to XP (from 98SE) and for the first time experienced the sound cutting out. I have not bothered to find a fix yet, but yes, get some fresh drivers. It's almost certainly an XP-specific problem.

Prospero<span id='postcolor'>

The default Audigy drivers for XP, to quote a technophile friend of mine, "suck shit". smile.gif He says to download the new ones

Yea, but the new auddrvpack.exe can't even be downloaded from creativelabs site.  What's up with that!  I have to tell ya, there support sucks a BIG one!  Give it a try, see if it will let you download it, and if it does, please put it somewhere where others can get to it.  Thanks.

The best places is still Compaq's FTP site:

README: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp22501-23000/SP22563.txt

Installer: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp22501-23000/SP22563.exe

These drivers are for all Audigy models under Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

Please note that Iconboard screws up FTP links and tries to turn them into HTTP links -- you should copy the URL from this message and paste it into the Address control of your browser.

To those of you that have problems with the sound cutting out.  If you're using Audigy....TURN OFF EAX!.  I had the same problem with EAX, both before and after I downloaded and installed the latest versions of the drivers.  To tell the truth I have yet to see any value to EAX and it has caused me problems with other programs and apps as well as OFP.

Even though this is "OFF TOPIC", the issue of DL'ing the new driver's was raised here, so I'll answer it here:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yea, but the new auddrvpack.exe can't even be downloaded from creativelabs site.  What's up with that!  I have to tell ya, there support sucks a BIG one!  Give it a try, see if it will let you download it, and if it does, please put it somewhere where others can get to it.  Thanks. <span id='postcolor'>

I ran into the same problem in getting them from Creative (there is more than one file that you want).  SO....I did a search with the file name and extension.  I found some site in Indonisia, or Singapore, or some other SE Asian site, that had them and it was one of the quickest servers I ever connected to....Took all of about 3 minutes to DL all of the files.  Sorry, confused.gif I don't remember the URL, but do the search, there are several sites out there that have the files.

Good Luck.  biggrin.gif

It's 154 bloody megs. I have a 56K modem. God bless Creative... anyone got JUST the drivers?

Prospero

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Prospero @ Oct. 14 2002,12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's 154 bloody megs. I have a 56K modem. God bless Creative... anyone got JUST the drivers?

Prospero<span id='postcolor'>

Sure thing -- get just the drivers for the Live!/Audigy under Windows 2000/XP here:

http://www.fileconnect.net/modules....thold=0

This is just the core driver set, which weighs in at 15MB.