Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

Favorite conflict setting poll

What is your favorite setting for a conflict in a mod?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite setting for a conflict in a mod?

• Vietnam War (mid-1960s - 1975) USA vs North Vietnam
    • 6 Days War (1967) Israel vs Various Arab States
    • 1st Gulf War (1980s) Iran vs Iraq
    • 2nd Gulf War (1991) USA vs Iraq
    • 3nd Gulf War (2003) USA vs Iraq
    • Soviet War in Afghanistan (1980s) SU vs Afghanistan
    • Korean War (1950s)
    • 2nd World War
    • Modern Day generic conflict - Israel vs Palestine
    • Modern day generic conflict - Mid eastern insurgents vs USA

Where are the south american conflicts? A fictional war akin to the 1969 Football War between Honduras and El Salvador would be cooler than all the other settings for a couple of reasons:

1: No Political Powderkeg like Vietnam or Israel.

2: Interesting opportunities for Terrain creation (Anything from large cities to plains to mountains)

3: Interesting choices for combat Vehicles.

A few examples for those are:

SK-105 Kürassier

AMX-30

M551_Sheridan For US Intervention Forces (Paratroopers, used instead of M-60s)

Tons of other cool vehicles and weapons used that are not usually depicted, as well as a variety of gear. From Corsairs and Mustangs to Sabres and many, many others

4: Large Range of potential conflict types, from counter insurgency to army level guerilla and conventional warfare, urban and rural alike.

5: Not been done before.

I'd like to get away from europe and asia, and see some unique kit for a change.

Edited by InstaGoat

vietnam is the second , i'm not alone hehehehehe

Kozlowski was the shooter on the grassy knoll?
John F. Kennedy doesn't start with G, you meathead!John F. Kennedy doesn't start with G, you meathead!

You sir. Have just won the BI Forums.

Because there's no WWI option, I vote for Vietnam War

In the purview of Arma, I'd love to see a 'Cold War gone hot in the 1980s' scenario again. Conventional warfare, urban and rural European environments and it'd give BIS a chance to work on their nuke technology. Also, asset reuse and it would shut up the incessant stream of complaints about how Arma is forever ruined because it's in the future now. The biggest disadvantage here is that it could turn out to be "too same" and yet another stream of complaints. Sometimes you can't win.

Maybe something like the Second Kongo War "Great War Of Africa" or the First Ivorian Civil War does sound very interesting too and it has interesting conflict parties.

I would pick a scenario, that hasn't been thematized ten times before.

Lets go Gulf War! Operation Desert Storm and Desert Shield! So many operations that I love to study.

Interesting results ( specially having in mind that A2 OA covered the most voted option, ergo people want more, BI should take note ).

On the other hand some of the conflicts are already being made by the community ( Vietnam, WW2 and modern ME conflicts ).

If I'm not wrong there is one entry for the Fawklands/Malvinas war in the MakeArmaNotWar contest, although doesn't seem much active.

There is also VTN Russia vs US, also RHS US and RU.

The Serbian mod is working or will work in the Bosnian war.

The Soviet war in Afghanistan has not been covered ( and you would have lots of material as there are some Afghanistan maps in production besides the Taksitan ).

The African conflict I think it's covered by the Swedish Mod. Although there are a lot of wars in that continent, right now the French Army is deployed in a lot of them. Sudan would be also interesting and can find videos in the internet.

Just to give you some ideas, you could check the Grenada invasion, Panama, Spanish Civil War ( it was the pre-WW2 with Russians, Nazis and Italians included ), Portugal's Colonial Wars, Indochina war ( France vs Vietnam, it wad the pre US vs Vietnam ), Chechnya, Georgia, Armenia vs Azerbsjan, in center America you also got a lot of them, also the Mexico war on drugs. Etc.

Also Israel hasn't been moded yet, and you would already had some assets in the vanilla ( Merkava tank, the Tavor rifle compact, Namer, MATV, etc. ). You would only have to paint a AAF officer uniform plain olive and with a white t-shirt. You could later add the helis from Apilon ( AH64, Blackhawk, etc. ).

Edited by MistyRonin