Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

JSRS Studios presents:

Dfyre_trans.png

*Logo and Brands by John Finlay (Yokhanan)*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEOS

xfl0Mzl_EjM

qMMhlHD2jSE

zTNbzlgj1k8

4jUJJhD3Yow

b09MHq4Tcqw

o_PnU_533Zk

ebgFTkrYTEg

M6xXe5BQi6E

b_nowVtrACE

q8IRU6fUc58

vkNwINf4m0s

ptxLwf4ys0g

nhc_0sYgy_U

2tOq_uJDXCA

HELLO

It'se me, LJ! As some already knew, I've been working in the shadows for like 2 to 3 months now on a new project, called DragonFyre. With the social, mental, virtual, powerful help of John, Yokhanan, I was building a new soundmod, based on JSRS2.1. As to given updates with the new ArmA3 Update 1.24, I had to focus on JSRS lately to fix the given issues, port over the new changes to DragonFyre and now I'm up to date with this mod. It is a 100% working, complete overhaul of JSRS, updated scripts allow us to archive even new and more advanced effects, thanks to LAxemann at this point.

Let me point out some new features compared to JSRS2.1/2.2 here.

NEW/UPDATEDFEATURES

1. New scripts allowing us to have distance explosions - Muffled thuds finally
  2. New Urban and Urban-SD sounds - Sound that reflects from buildings
  3. New SD weapon effects - SD weapons are not as quiet as hollywood makes you think
  4. New randomly generated Urban effects - With new building reflections, every fight sounds different
  5. New DLC Helicopters covered - Of course
  6. Tweaked movement and gear noises - Tiny little tweaks and details, not to loud, not to quiet
  7. Hundreds of volume tweaks - Best tweaked JSRS version ever optimized for Stereo and 5.1
  8. Handheld and most vehicle weapons use sounds from gigantic pools, making each shooter sound different
  9. Over 15.000 new sound effects to simulate the best battle sound experience ever heard in ArmA - Or any other video game as well?
  10. All sounds reworked! ZERO sounds from JSRS2.1 are left the way they were.
  11. Explosions! The danger of explosions is reproduced through new scripts, each explosion sound different than the next.
  12. Close explosion-sounds are totally randomly generated on the fly.
  13. Real-life recordings with the best given quality used to create the most realistic sounding gameplay ever in ArmA history
  14. Full support of JSRS2.2 sound effects. If you have Mod weapons using JSRS sounds or entries, you can just switch to DFyre without a CFG change

PLEASE!VOTEFOR

Add the possibility of adding eventhandlers to ammunitions defined in cfgAmmo <- This would help me to realize certain features in JSRS DragonFyre, so please vote for this!

COOLDOWN

Now, I know this sounds very expectant, exaggerated even. But the current state, DragonFyre is in, has proven the abilities I've created so far. The experience and immersion we get every time playing has proven that. The scripts are working fine, for me there was zero difference in performance compared to vanilla ArmA3 sounds. Tho this mod is still a bit away from being final. The mod is actually working and could be released as it is, as it covers 100% of ArmA and works a 100% like JSRS2.2 does, tho I'm still on the tweaking road so to speak. Many things and item got to be tweaked and need to be adjusted to the overall feeling I want to transfer with DragonFyre. Many live-fire exercises have flowed into the work with DragonFyre, forming the sounds to what I think is the best sounding military simulation I've played so far. I know, all that sounds pretty sweet, tho I know many many will be disappointed due to what JSRS2.1/2.2 sounded like. I'm not going a totally different way with this, but I want to at least try to. What you will hear with this mod is my own expectant attitude of what this game needs to sounds like. Please keep that in mind. Thats the reason there is DragonFyre and JSRS2.2. I know that the JSRS mods are the most advanced sound mods out here, maybe the only ones atm, tho I try to give some of you choice even. But after all, DragonFyre is my baby. Its how I think I want this game/simulation to sounds like, nothing else.

Further through the development of DF, I will try to upload videos and show some of the effects I'm working on. Show the new sounds, the new effects and what the scripts do. I'm currently start to record ingame footage and will upload the videos during the days/weeks of development.

And as a further note for you, please dont even start with "When will it be released?". It WONT, until I think its ready. I dont want to have this Update mess we always had with JSRS, I want this mod to be 1000% ready to go before I even think about releasing. This thread is more about teasing you and get motivation on the run through the development, heh. Tho, what I can say, DF is around 50% done I guess. The rest are so tiny tweaks I couldn't even show the difference. But, as said, and as most of you know me for, it gotta be perfect.

Well, that much: If I can, I'd like to be part of the competition MAKE ARMA NOT WAR. This, as a hint on a release date :P Question is, going with JSRS2.2 or with DragonFyre, but that is about to be seen when DragonFyre is ready to be handed out to the crowd.

So, stay tuned, a few videos will follow withing the next few minutes, hours.

UPDATE from 09.25.2014:

So, this is a little update more or less about the current status about DragonFyre and the things that need to be done before I consider a release. As the poll so far is showing, there are quiet a lot of people showing the patience to wait for the final release which surprises me actually. But thats really good to me. I know from the past that this endless "patching" is not quiet what people want or prefer. And as normally I'm not a big fan of PwS or what ever. I want my mod spread to the world the way I uploaded it. When I start patching things in a weekly or even daily matter, we would end up with multiple different version all over the net. ArmAholic has a different version as PwS, and the version provided here will be a total different one also and so on.

Trust me, the past showed me some trouble here and it was always horrific for me seeing that there are multiple different versions running and people are complaining about that. This time I'd really like to prevent that. So I go for a full release when we hit Version 1.0. As we close to 0.7 in the intern tests, it wont be that long anymore. ;)

Ok, lets go over to some deeper facts about the mods status here (Currently I'm just in the mood for large texts heh)

FEATURES - OLD!!!

The current feature that the latest intern DFyre-version 0.6/0.7 covers are the following (Those features are working fine):

Scripted:

1. -Distant sounds for weapons of all kind, no matter of handheld or vehicle
  2. -Inroom Sounds for weapons of all kind, no matter of handheld or vehicle
  3. -Distant sounds for explosions of all kind
  4. -Inroom Sounds for explosions of all kind
  5. -FPS sounds when being in first person
  6. -Shrapnel sounds, when being close to explosions
  7. -The combination of CFG sounds and scripted explosion sounds creates totally randomly generated soundeffects

Unscripted:

1. -Decent distance sounds for vehicles of all kinds
  2. -Fitting engine sounds for all vehicles using CFG entries
  3. -Best fitting firearms sounds for all weapons
  4. -Almost 100% of the games sound is covered by DFyre, except the campaign sounds like voice acting and cutscenes
  5. -The JSRS immersion, making all sounds kinda fit together to create the best milsim experience

PLANNEDFEATURES

As some of you know, I always tried to get something new and shiny in each new mod that I have released so far. As there were some new effects in JSRS2 that JSRS1.5 couldn't deliver. Now, there are still some things planned that I try to build into DFyre. With the gigantic help of LAxemann we were able to archive some cool effects and scripted the new distant explosions and such. Now there are still some things we or at least I have planned. Some I dont need scripting for, others are a bit more difficult to archive.

ENVIRONMENT

I'd like to create a really decent environmental sound-scape in ArmA3. All the CFG entries that I'd need are there and working, just brining the sounds into the game is the hard part now. The sound must fit together to archive that. In the end I'd like to have a gigantic sound scape working making each location kinda sound different from the last one. Traveling 5 miles through the country and the next forest should not EXACTLY sounds like the last one.

VEHICLES

That was always a hard part to me but I managed good so far I guess. This time I'd like to archive a really good sounding vehicle audio that makes people feel the power and heaviness of such military vehicles. As shown in the latest videos, it IS possible to get there, the only thing is, that I have to concentrate on each vehicles individually and not make a rather big sound pool vehicles take their sounds from. Thats the way I tried before and its not working out that good as I see the progress of the FV720 Mora for example. Or the APCs...

WEAPONS

As stated some posts before I want to bring some more dynamic range into my sounds. As some are already compressed, it wont be possible without either hard tweaking or rebuilding some from scratch even. Tho most sounds are fine gladly and dont need much work. The distance sound scape got all updated already and is quiet done so far. A future video will show you the "dynamic range" tweaks that I might, so some people will see what I mean.

SCRIPTS

We want DFyre to be stable obviously, but also have a certain range of assets and effects that makes it kinda unique. Tho seeing my current competition, I guess DFyre will be kinda unique or IS already anyways. Tho it will or at least HAVE to have some more. As LAxemann is already kinda involved, we planned to build in a Urban sound script. So when ever people are shooting in a village or town or city, the sounds will be different, more louder echos and such. So you can HEAR that someone of firing in a housy-kinda environment.

As some already suggested we also discussed the integration of L_ES. At least the feature of the soundscape that reflects sounds from the environment. As DFyre is already really script heavy (but so far without any kind of performance loss) we are considering this just as an option so far. That either people can choose for themselves or to have just L_ES_DFyre version as a standalone mod. As the sounds in DFyre are already really loud and heavy, you wont notice the L_ES features as much as they would deserve. So I'd have to create new sounds fitting the DFyre sounds

STATUSETA

As much as I hate this topic myself, I can't avoid it obviously. I simply could just say "When its done" which is kinda true, but it wont be fair to those who are waiting so hard for the release, helping me out in all kinda matters and supporting me either via feedback, suggestions or even donations. So I want to give you an overall status of the mod:

As you already now, its close to the intern version 0.7. So I can actually say we are around 70/75% done. So a first release wont be that far away. I currently made the vehicles, that was the latest "BIG" task for me. Tho as I said, I used pools for the sounds which then got used by several vehicles sometimes. Now I want to give each vehicle its own unique sound. Gladly there are not as far vehicles as in ArmA2, and some are almost the same even. For example the Kamysh and the Tigris could use the same kinda set of sounds without having done a mistake. Its the same vehicles with just differnt turrets. Same goes for others. The Slammer even are three times the same vehicle. So, I got the Mora done so far as I was using the vehicle as some kinda "test object" to see if my "ideas" get through the cfg into the game the way I wanted them. And so far its working out REALLY good. So this idea and CFG build will flow into all the heavy mil vehicles now.

As said, most weapons are fine and does not need much tweaking or changes. Just the distance and scripted effects will be tweaked further. Same goes for the explosions. As we have now inroom explosion sounds as well, its really important to have a more or less big set of sounds for those effetcs, you dont want each grenade sound exactly the same when it explodes inside a building. Therefore I'm crrently creating those.

I splitted the explosions into following classes:

1. 20mm - All kinda Autocannon sounds from 20 to 45mm or what not e.g. the BTR Kamysh cannon
  2. Grenade - All kinds of grenades, from m203 to handgrenades
  3. Rocket - All kinds of rockets and missiles like RPG or even Sidewinder or Air missiles, AT and so on
  4. Shell - Like cannon shells like 120mm, 85mm mortar. Missiles like 230mm MLRS are included here
  5. Arty - All the big fat bombs. Arty rounds and so on. GBU and what not

Most explosion sounds are done and set in stone so far and can be implemented. The scripts are all written and done. The ony problem that we still have are those triggered and spawned explosion effects that need further scripts, the Vote that has been started is part of the problem. And the solution actually. The last PROBLEM that we have. If that it fixed, I pretty sure a release wont be far away now.

ETA, well, not sure so far. A couple of months even. It will be released THIS YEAR, thats a fact. Tho before we cant fix the above stated problem with the spawned explosions, I can't say what we gonna do. I will obviously keep you updated and informed about the project and its status. Will provide more videos in the future.

As for now, thats all I can say. I hope you guys dont hang up on me, DFyre WILL make it, that has never been the question. It just will take its time now ;)

Thanks for listening... well, reading in that case ;)

All the best,

LJ

JSRS DRAGONFYRE

... is a major project and mostly a lonewolf development. I spent over 12.000 hours of my private spare time for JSRS and other community projects over the last 3 years. This amount of time cannot be measured in money. Only the support and feedback of the community kept me running for so long. Due to certain problems in my life, I running short on time and money I'd really like to spent for accomplish my projects and to help the community further in future. With some money, I could finally upgrade to a new system I certainly need to work more smooth withing ArmA. I'm really thankful for ANY kind of support I got so far and all donations that I got so far went to 100% back into my projects! If you would like to support me, please consider a Donation. You are really helping me with any tiny donation you do. With the money, that is coming together, I can't certainly spent more time for what I love doing... which would be the projects you guys love so much :)

---------click below---------

-->DONATION<--

-------------------------------

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT! THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST COMMUNITY!!!

Edited by LordJarhead

Sounds very ambitious (which is a good thing), looking forward to seeing/hearing DragonFyre soon :cool:

Thanks to the team for all your hard work.

Sounds awesome. I'm really interested in the new scipts, seeing you're working with LAxemann. This sounds very promising.

Looks nice.

However, it seems JSRS breaks minigun damages value.

Will you fix it with this version?

Thanks.

Updated a new, LAME, video for ya :P We start slow with boring effects, still even those deserve some attention :P

ptxLwf4ys0g

LJ

Looks nice.

However, it seems JSRS breaks minigun damages value.

Will you fix it with this version?

Thanks.

Please post a reproduction mission of this since I tried to replicate this issue a few times, never happened to me.

No matter if I was using JSRS or not, the amount of minigun bullets needed to destroy various vehicles has been the same.

Well, I can't say as I never experienced it myself, but in missions I've created, some people who had JSRS enabled had to shoot many more bullets than those who played vanilla.

It seems Blastcore FX does the same too.

I really want to hear what helicopters and jets sound like to be honest. If you say these are live recordings of actual things I can't wait!

It's gonna be great, believe me, haha

Grats on planting the bomb, dude :D

@LAxemann: Heh thanks bud, we'll see when it'll go up :)

nhc_0sYgy_U

Another lame video for you guys ;) The next one will be better, I swear!

LJ

It's just fine! Release is expected by October 31, 2014 or December 31, 2014 :rolleyes:

Ok ok, here you go:

2tOq_uJDXCA

All very WIP and some sounds are still in the tweaking phase, as MG's are kinda to loud I think, clipping as well.

LJ

♥

You tweaked the environment sounds, I see, sounds a lot better now. Me actually likey :D

Good new !

It's nice to see some news environnement sounds too. And weapons look even more powerful.

Will the sounds be caliber based? If i want to use your sounds with not only vanilla guns but with gun mods will i be able to?